STrib: Gophers hoops early 2019-20 projected lineup (if Amir Coffey returns)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

If Coffey returns next season to lead Richard Pitino’s team, below is my very early projected starting lineup and key reserves for the U’s 2019-20 team.

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP

G- Marcus Carr 6-2 Sophomore

Carr would’ve been the starting point guard this season, but the NCAA denied his waiver to play right away after transferring from Pittsburgh. The Toronto native averaged 10 points and a team-high 4.0 assists in 2017-18, including a 22-point game vs. North Carolina and 16 points and 12 assists vs. Syracuse.

G- Gabe Kalscheur 6-4 Sophomore

Broke the Gophers freshman record for three-point field goals in a season with 77 this year. Team’s best perimeter defender, but Kalscheur’s 24 points and eight rebounds vs. Louisville led the Gophers to their first NCAA tournament win in six years.

G- Amir Coffey 6-8 Senior

Big Ten player of the year and All-American candidate if he returns and plays as aggressively as he did to average 23.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals in his last eight games, which included games of 32, 31 and 27 points in the Michigan State loss in Des Moines.

F- Jarvis Omersa 6-7 Sophomore

Omersa has a ways to go offensively, but his length and athleticism are similar to what the Gophers lost in All-Big Ten senior Jordan Murphy. There was no replacing Murphy, who was sidelined with back spasms in his final college game. Still, Omersa’s defense and rebounding in the blowout loss to the Spartans should motivate him to make a big jump in Year 2 under Pitino.

C-Daniel Oturu 6-10 Sophomore

Oturu will have All-Big Ten and NBA potential next season. He led all freshmen in rebounding (7.0), field goal percentage (55.1) and blocks (1.3) this season. The former Cretin-Derham Hall star should replace Murphy as the U’s top low-post scoring inside presence after adding muscle and weight to his frame in the offseason. If he develops into the elite shot blocker he was in high school – look out Big Ten.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...cted-lineup-if-amir-coffey-returns/507704242/

Go Gophers!!

Curry was much better than Omersa this year despite coming off the injuries. I’d be surprised if Omersa got more minutes if Curry is even moderately healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Marcus:

KEY RESERVES

F/C- Eric Curry 6-9 Junior

He definitely has the talent to be a major contributor next season, but Curry needs time coming off two season-ending injuries (knee and foot) to get comfortable without the pressure of being a star. If his recovery goes smoothly in the offseason, the Memphis native should push Omersa for the starting power forward spot. So he could easily move up on this list by October.

G- Payton Willis 6-4 Junior

Curry’s buddy and former AAU teammate in Arkansas should have fun playing together with him as the first players off the bench. They could both easily start, so competition should be the best Pitino has seen in years. Willis can shoot the three-point shot, but also is an athletic slasher.

F- Michael Hurt 6-7 Senior

Hurt probably should’ve played more this season, but he can really be the glue guy the Gophers need. When he’s confident, he can be a scoring and rebounding threat, but his best asset is his passing and unselfishness.

G-Isaiah Washington 6-1 Junior

Everyone asks if Washington will transfer, but he says he will be back next season right now. That would help add depth to the Gophers at point guard, where you can never have enough depth. His playmaking ability when he made good decisions helped the team, but opportunities were scarce.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...cted-lineup-if-amir-coffey-returns/507704242/

Go Gophers!!

Curry was much better than Omersa this year despite coming off the injuries. I’d be surprised if Omersa got more minutes if Curry is even moderately healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could we agree on this? Curry only looked remotely like himself for a couple games in the middle of his return. He started tentative, then he was playing where he gave some hope he might make it back (but still tentative) , then he tried playing hurt and was very ineffective. then he shut it down.

Omersa was very inexperienced and it showed before Christmas, then he didn't play, then he got some opportunities and had a couple games (short stretches) besides the Michigan State NCAA game where he was very encouraging on the defensive end, and decent on the boards but his energy was contagious. If Omersa builds on the Michigan State effort, we want him on the floor.

If Curry gets freshman healthy and plays with leadership and confidence...no doubt Curry needs to be on the floor for sure but I never saw that guy this year. Did you? He looked apologetic to me...unspoken, "I'm sorry, I suck" "Dang it, let me sit down and I'll try later." "I can play waaaay better than this. Sorry."

Could we agree on this? Curry only looked remotely like himself for a couple games in the middle of his return. He started tentative, then he was playing where he gave some hope he might make it back (but still tentative) , then he tried playing hurt and was very ineffective. then he shut it down.

Omersa was very inexperienced and it showed before Christmas, then he didn't play, then he got some opportunities and had a couple games (short stretches) besides the Michigan State NCAA game where he was very encouraging on the defensive end, and decent on the boards but his energy was contagious. If Omersa builds on the Michigan State effort, we want him on the floor.

If Curry gets freshman healthy and plays with leadership and confidence...no doubt Curry needs to be on the floor for sure but I never saw that guy this year. Did you? He looked apologetic to me...unspoken, "I'm sorry, I suck" "Dang it, let me sit down and I'll try later." "I can play waaaay better than this. Sorry."

Regardless of whether he played with confidence or not, he was much better than Omersa was at any point in the season. As I have said on the other threads, I don't think Curry was as bad as other made it out to be and at the same time, think people are kind of overrating how good he was as a freshman. Aside form the first two games, I don't think he was that much worse if at all. For a large stretch, I felt he was just as good as his freshman self.

G- Amir Coffey 6-8 Senior

Big Ten player of the year and All-American candidate if he returns and plays as aggressively as he did to average 23.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals in his last eight games, which included games of 32, 31 and 27 points in the Michigan State loss in Des Moines.

Amir played great down the stretch, but I didn't realize his numbers were that high. Those are definitely B1G POY and All-American type numbers if expanded over the course of a year.

Also, I have high expectations for Marcus Carr.

My opinion Curry much better as a freshman than last season, not really even close.

per Marcus:

F- Jarvis Omersa 6-7 Sophomore

Omersa has a ways to go offensively, but his length and athleticism are similar to what the Gophers lost in All-Big Ten senior Jordan Murphy. There was no replacing Murphy, who was sidelined with back spasms in his final college game. Still, Omersa’s defense and rebounding in the blowout loss to the Spartans should motivate him to make a big jump in Year 2 under Pitino.

Go Gophers!!

I would be surprised if our starting PF is actually on the team right now. I even think Sims would start for us (he starts for Texas) right now if he transferred. I watched him tonight (10 boards vs Colorado). There is a lot of upside and he has experience.. I would take him in a second, despite the low stats (PER is good). If not Sims, another of many transfers. At any rate, Omersa may start, but there will be competition for the spot with a player or players not currently on our team. Almost makes these type lists worthless at this point.

So Carr will have 3 years of eligibility right? Next year will be his first of 3 years playing point guard for us?

Last edited:

If Jarvis is in Gophers’ starting lineup next season, spring recruiiting and Curry’s recovery have not gone very well. Energy player off the bench suits him well at this point.

Great news on Carr. I feel not having a true point guard hurt us in several close games that we lost this season.

yes it will be nice to have a guy like Carr in the lineup next year. Take some pressure off of Coffey for sure.

Top Bottom