Spring Position Preview - WR

John Galt

Reaction score
From TDG: https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019...ll-2019-spring-position-preview-wide-receiver

I say, “SPRING,” you say, “POSITION PREVIEWS!”

I say, “SPRING,” you say, “POSITION PREVIEWS!”

That’s right. The hiatus is over. Football is back! Well, the spring version of football, at least. And in the weeks leading up to the Minnesota Golden Gophers’ spring game at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 13, at TCF Bank Stadium, we’ll be breaking down each position group.

Key Departure(s): None
Key Returner(s): Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman, Chris Autman-Bell, Demetrius Douglas, Erik Gibson, Jornell Manns, and Harry Van Dyne
Early Enrollee(s): Mike Brown-Stephens and Peter Udoibok

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Tyler Johnson, but the Gophers’ All-Big Ten receiver is back for his senior season. He had a career year in 2018, recording a team-leading 78 receptions en route to breaking the school records for most receiving yards (1,169) and receiving touchdowns (12) in a single season. Johnson also became the program’s first 1,000-yard receiver since 2008 and only the fourth receiver in Minnesota history to record at least 10 touchdowns in a single season.

Put simply: He good.

But wait, there is more! Yes, the Gophers actually have more than one legitimate receiving threat. Sophomore Rashod Bateman will lead the pack after setting the school’s single-season freshman record with 51 receptions to go along with 704 receiving yards and six touchdowns. The biggest improvement for Bateman will be a year in the weight room. There were plays last year that could have been extended if not for arm or shoestring tackles.

Behind Bateman, redshirt sophomores Chris Autman-Bell and Demetrius Douglas are both young receivers that continue to show promise. Autman-Bell, especially, came on strong late last season, finishing with 28 receptions for 449 receiving yards.

The ones to watch this spring are Erik Gibson and Mike Brown-Stephens. Gibson was a top scout team performer last fall, but was too banged up with an unspecified injury to participate in the first open spring practice. The coaching staff is very high on early enrollee Mike Brown-Stephens, with some foreseeing him contributing on the field as early as this fall.

Redshirt freshman Jornell Manns won’t be available this spring while he recovers from an ACL tear, and I’ve not heard much about Harry Van Dyne or Peter Udoibok.

Next: Seth Green

I’m still not convinced DD shouldn’t be a DB on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m still not convinced DD shouldn’t be a DB on this team.

We were able to land DD in large part due to his desire to play WR. That might be why he is still there - although he looked pretty good in the Indiana game when he was targeted. It will be interesting to see who emerges as the top slot WR after the spring between him and MBS. It also doesn't hurt that we are setup pretty well at DB for this year with Smith, Durr, Thomas and Williamson.

We were able to land DD in large part due to his desire to play WR. That might be why he is still there - although he looked pretty good in the Indiana game when he was targeted. It will be interesting to see who emerges as the top slot WR after the spring between him and MBS. It also doesn't hurt that we are setup pretty well at DB for this year with Smith, Durr, Thomas and Williamson.

Also - Jornell Manns is now Jornell Brooks.

Yep. I know playing him at WR was a big reason he came here. Also, I agree he has potential and talent at WR. However, I don’t view our DBs as being as strong as WR and it is a position we need more talent at regardless. No disrespect meant toward DD at all.

We also have N Adim-Madumere coming in the summer. He's one of our higher rated recruits. 6-3 WR from Texas

Then we have transfer Randal Grimes sitting out.

So we seem to have some depth stacking up. I think DD probably is a better DB than receiver based on how other schools projected him and our needs. His yards after catch are generally small unless he has an opening to use his straight ahead speed. He did drop a long touchdown pass on the money but that generally is his strength, as a wide receiver...he can catch the ball...most times. The coaches will do what's best....time will tell.

We also have N Adim-Madumere coming in the summer. He's one of our higher rated recruits. 6-3 WR from Texas

Then we have transfer Randal Grimes sitting out.

So we seem to have some depth stacking up. I think DD probably is a better DB than receiver based on how other schools projected him and our needs. His yards after catch are generally small unless he has an opening to use his straight ahead speed. He did drop a long touchdown pass on the money but that generally is his strength, as a wide receiver...he can catch the ball...most times. The coaches will do what's best....time will tell.

Glad you mentioned him. I remember thinking he looked really impressive in his highlight videos; big, strong guy.

Then again, everybody looks good in their highlight reel.

Adim-Madumere and fellow Texan Clark will make some noise when their turn comes.

Top Bottom