Omersa

Not a defense of Tubby but over all my years i have seen that most of a players development happens in the off season and is on the player. They are given a season ending evaluation about where they are at and what they have to work on. The majority of the season is focused on team. At this level it is not usually about their talent but their lack of skill. That is a hard part of recruiting is identifying those players that have the undying devotion to their craft, to get better. Their young men and can change their mind on how much it means to them to get better, or they make the fatal flaw and think they are good enough. Very confidant that Pitino excells at telling his guys exactly what they have to get better. Some recruit to that hunger, some take athletes they think they can make that way and sometimes it works. If you do not master skills you will hurt your team and crush your own hopes. This team has a bunch of guys that really work everyday, really hard to get better. The big three remaining are really driven to do the work. Same is true of Omersa. Hurt, same but he is limited. Will IW commit to the constant drill work to build skill, especially getting low and wide on defense. Those drills are tedious and exhausting, will he commit to getting up a few hundred shots everyday, will he watch film to understand shot selection. Tubby has several guys who worked pretty darn hard. Tubby's failing was he had little energy left for recruiting and a poor staff.

Haven't the rules been relaxed on coach involvement with off-season individual workouts?

Not a defense of Tubby but over all my years i have seen that most of a players development happens in the off season and is on the player. They are given a season ending evaluation about where they are at and what they have to work on. The majority of the season is focused on team. At this level it is not usually about their talent but their lack of skill. That is a hard part of recruiting is identifying those players that have the undying devotion to their craft, to get better. Their young men and can change their mind on how much it means to them to get better, or they make the fatal flaw and think they are good enough. Very confidant that Pitino excells at telling his guys exactly what they have to get better. Some recruit to that hunger, some take athletes they think they can make that way and sometimes it works. If you do not master skills you will hurt your team and crush your own hopes. This team has a bunch of guys that really work everyday, really hard to get better. The big three remaining are really driven to do the work. Same is true of Omersa. Hurt, same but he is limited. Will IW commit to the constant drill work to build skill, especially getting low and wide on defense. Those drills are tedious and exhausting, will he commit to getting up a few hundred shots everyday, will he watch film to understand shot selection. Tubby has several guys who worked pretty darn hard. Tubby's failing was he had little energy left for recruiting and a poor staff.

Nice input. On an Iowa broadcast earlier this year, one of the commentators said that Garza was a guy who just loved the game and worked to get better. He also said there are a lot of guys at high level basketball who do it because they are talented and have to, not because they love it. If these guys are going to get better, they have to love it enough to work at it, no matter how talented they are. At some point in life, we all learn that we can't just show up, but we actually have to put the effort in to be successful. Just because the kids have the natural talent doesn't mean they have the fire in their belly to improve and succeed. No coach can give that to them. It has to be inside them to begin with.

Damien Johnson was probably Tubby's best development project.

Even Johnson game didn't necessarily improved. He just got more playing time and stronger. He was similar to Rodney where he should have been a 3 but was stuck playing the 4 because he never developed a perimeter game. I look at all the guys that transferred during Smith 3rd and 4th year and look how much more they flourished outside of Smith's system. That was either player development from those staffs or coaches emphasizing to players what they need to do better. Iverson developed a jumpshot at CSU.

Even Johnson game didn't necessarily improved. He just got more playing time and stronger. He was similar to Rodney where he should have been a 3 but was stuck playing the 4 because he never developed a perimeter game. I look at all the guys that transferred during Smith 3rd and 4th year and look how much more they flourished outside of Smith's system. That was either player development from those staffs or coaches emphasizing to players what they need to do better. Iverson developed a jumpshot at CSU.

Smith had a system on offense?

One thing I will say about Pitino over Tubby. Players with Tubby never improved. Just name one player during Coach Smith time who actually got better.

Which players have substantially improved under Pitino?

Very true. Thanks for your insight.

That could be a major factor in why IW didn’t get a lot of playing time this year. He didn’t make the improvements that Pitino wanted him to make. If that isn’t motivation to hit it hard this off season, then.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which players have substantially improved under Pitino?

Mason, Coffey, Lynch, Murphy to name the obvious.

McBrayer improved from FR to SO but not necessarily so much after that.

Oturu improved in-season quite a bit this year, I thought.

Top Bottom