Omersa

gopherfrommt

Reaction score
I wasn't sure what to think of Omersa's future development at the U, but after the Michigan State game I think he is going to be a big contributor! I thought he played very well against a tough matchup with Ward. If he can develop a mid-range jumper in the next year or two, his athleticism will allow him to help us out tremendously! Good things ahead!

I wasn't sure what to think of Omersa's future development at the U, but after the Michigan State game I think he is going to be a big contributor! I thought he played very well against a tough matchup with Ward. If he can develop a mid-range jumper in the next year or two, his athleticism will allow him to help us out tremendously! Good things ahead!

Agreed! He appears to be a fast learner when he gets significant play time. When he first came in, Ward was bullying him all over the place...after a few possessions, Omersa played quite well against a very strong and crafty Ward. This team still needs to add frontcourt depth in a bad way, but I would not be shocked if Omersa ends up starting some games next year and plays well in those games. He and Oturu have excellent chemistry as well.

Last edited:

Agreed! He appears to be a fast learner when he gets significant play time. When he first came in, Ward was bullying him all over the place...after a few possessions, Omersa played quite well against a very strong and craft Ward. This team still needs to add frontcourt depth in a bad way, but I would not be shocked if Omersa ends up starting some games next year and plays well in those games. He and Oturu have excellent chemistry as well.

Omersa is one big bottle of chemistry! I love the idea of having an effusive kid like him on the squad- to me that is one of the ingredients for winning (along with a bunch of guys that can shoot).

If he can develop any semblance of an offensive game he will be quite good. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen such endless energy and hustle out of a player. This year he was basically on a pogo stick but having no idea what he was doing. I look forward to seeing him develop.

He actually reminds me a bit of my namesake Miles Tarver, who was possibly the worst player I've ever seen as a freshman. He showed some signs and had his best game in our loss to Kentucky (as a sophomore, not freshman). By his junior year he was not a detriment and by his senior year he was actually quite valuable. I'm hoping for a similar career arc from Omersa.

If he can develop any semblance of an offensive game he will be quite good. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen such endless energy and hustle out of a player. This year he was basically on a pogo stick but having no idea what he was doing. I look forward to seeing him develop.

He actually reminds me a bit of my namesake Miles Tarver, who was possibly the worst player I've ever seen as a freshman. He showed some signs and had his best game in our loss to Kentucky (as a sophomore, not freshman). By his junior year he was not a detriment and by his senior year he was actually quite valuable. I'm hoping for a similar career arc from Omersa.

its a lesson in development and patience. Not every freshman can have an immediate impact.

i think we were with in seconds of hitting the reply button. But your point was more indepth. Tarver went from a nobody to somebody you could count on to play D, get boards, hustle, etc.....I think Omersa is ahead of the Tarver curve at this point

i think we were with in seconds of hitting the reply button. But your point was more indepth. Tarver went from a nobody to somebody you could count on to play D, get boards, hustle, etc.....I think Omersa is ahead of the Tarver curve at this point

Could Miles dunk? I can't remember. My most clear memory of Miles is of him getting in a scuffle with the Philipines national team and declaring himself a pacifist after the game. If Omersa can contribute and have Miles' personality, we are really onto something.

Could Miles dunk? I can't remember. My most clear memory of Miles is of him getting in a scuffle with the Philipines national team and declaring himself a pacifist after the game. If Omersa can contribute and have Miles' personality, we are really onto something.

he could easily dunk. He was 6'8 and athletic.

I still watch that brawl on youtube from time to time.

Too bad Omersa didn't go to high school with Jason Kidd as that was all we heard about Tarver for three years.

I wouldn't count on this, he can still contribute in a lot of ways though.

Not everybody has to be a big scorer. If Omersa can rebound, play defense and pick up garbage baskets, put-backs and dunks, he can have an impact.

But - that does mean the scoring has to come from somewhere else. if you're going to have a starter who is basically a non-shooter, then you'd better have 3 or 4 other guys in the lineup who can shoot.

Yep. You can do whatever you want as long as you never dribble or shoot from longer than 2 feet.

I like Omersa. He is solid defending the post. Obviously lots of energy, athleticism and enthusiasm. Happy he's a Gopher. I think he'll score on dunks and putbacks. His shot has the look of someone who can get better
but his percentages are woeful. I almost broke the sound barrier when he launched a three vs Michigan St...not what I thought we needed at that moment. :rolleyes:
He can be an outstanding defender...already creates havoc.

Insane athleticism. High energy. Works his tail off. Wants to be here as much as anyone I can ever think of. Teammates seem to love him. Coaches seem to love him. Fans seem to love him.

I legitimately think he’ll be a big contributor. Might never score much, but wouldn’t be surprised if he could get 8 points per game at some point. Layups, dunks and free throws.

Insane athleticism. High energy. Works his tail off. Wants to be here as much as anyone I can ever think of. Teammates seem to love him. Coaches seem to love him. Fans seem to love him.

I legitimately think he’ll be a big contributor. Might never score much, but wouldn’t be surprised if he could get 8 points per game at some point. Layups, dunks and free throws.

I agree that he might end up being a solid contributor on the offensive end, eventually. I was surprised at how well he played on the defensive end in the MSU game, but he also seemed to become much more comfortable on the offensive end as the game went on.

Kid has athleticism and seems to have the attitude to learn and develop. I'm happy we get to watch him for 3 more years. Think how good he could be if he gets better each year.

Omersa is a starter next year. If Carr is what I expect we will have a strong starting lineup. There can be 2 or 3 strong players off the bench too. Really need Curry back in form. If IW gets it going... it will be a fun year.

Agree, except not sure about the free throw part. He recently air-balled a free throw. That’s tough to do. He grinned widely after the miss. Hard not to like that kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omersa is a starter next year.
If Omersa is a starter, Pitino will have struck out this spring and Curry will have continued to be physically limited. We need an impact player added at that position or it will be by committee.

Wow. I swear your post wasn't there when I started my reply. But I completely agree.

I think he might grow into J'son Stamper. He was just here for his junior and senior years and was a TOUGH rebounder and defender. He was really valuable without ever developing a real offensive game.

If he becomes a great defender that can be huge. Especially with his motor and length. To be able to guard 3 or 4 positions adds so much versatility. Some fans will say we would be playing shorthanded on offense and they would be wrong.

He seems to be always up, always smiling, and pretty much the dictionary definition of a 'high energy' player. I love that.

His athleticism and jumping ability with raw skills reminds me more of Ernest Zigazimabo. However you spell his last name.

I think we'll get more out of Jarvis though.

His athleticism and jumping ability with raw skills reminds me more of Ernest Zigazimabo. However you spell his last name.

I think we'll get more out of Jarvis though.

Reminds me of Rodney Williams, just more energetic.

I almost broke the sound barrier when he launched a three vs Michigan St...not what I thought we needed at that moment. :rolleyes:

At that very moment, Richard lost another clump of hair... [emoji69]

If Omersa is a starter, Pitino will have struck out this spring and Curry will have continued to be physically limited. We need an impact player added at that position or it will be by committee.

Agreed. It's tough not to like the kid because of his athleticism, energy, and positive attitude but the skills needed for this level just aren't there yet and we also can't assume that Curry will return to his pre-injuries physical state by next year. Pitino needs to pick up two front courters for next year to be safe. Unfortunately, there isn't much depth of quality big men so far among the announced grad transfers but there's a lot of time left for more to announce.

Top Bottom