Will Richard Pitino bolt the Gophers to go to Alabama

IF Pitino leaves - where is he most likely to land?

• Alabama

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Texas A&M

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Temple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UNLV

• Vanderbilt

• Washington State

• HE'S NEVER LEAVING!

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Some Yet Unknown college

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nothing against Otzelberger, but this shows just how far UNLV has fallen. Otzelberger inherited a program (and Mike Daum) that was rolling when Scott Nagy left for Wright State. He may end up being a great hire, but I'm always leery of guys who inherit programs and/or great players, have some success, then move on.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

T.J. Otzelberger is a great basketball coach and a very good recruiter. I was always hoping he would be available when RP leaves or is fired. Iowa States recent success can be directly linked to T.J. Happy for him to get a job at a major university. Really to bad it wasn’t with the Gophers.

You use the word prodding, i go for precision. Did not say he would take it but he could bring Saul and his son and do the 3rd year hand off. Time after time it has been proven that if you win, you sell out. If you do not win, you do not sell out. WSU will probably hire Smith today.
Saul Phillips?

It appears Thad Matta is the guy at Alabama

If so, in my opinion a great hire.

Honestly, Tubby would make sense too. But it would be pretty low to ditch a job after one year, especially your Alma mater.

Was never talking Tubby. This guy can coach. Great relationships all through the west.

Both great. Thad is younger than people would guess but his health has been terrible. So sad, a true coaching superstar.

If that is true- which it appears it is, I will be the first one to admit things were premature on Richard and Alabama. Maybe he turned them down again? Maybe another school jumped in the Pitino stakes? Maybe Richard views a final four in our future thus wants to stay? Hard to know what really goes on behind the scenes.

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/2019/03/alabama-hires-nate-oats-as-new-basketball-coach.html

Last edited:

If that is true, I will be the first one to admit things were premature on Richard and Alabama. Maybe he turned them down again? Maybe another school jumped in the Pitino stakes? Maybe Richard views a final four in our future thus wants to stay? Hard to know.

You think Pitino was ever offered the Alabama job ? Can not help you.

Pitino isn't leaving. He's just barely off the hot seat here. Next 12 months are gonna be interesting.

T.J. Otzelberger is a great basketball coach and a very good recruiter. I was always hoping he would be available when RP leaves or is fired. Iowa States recent success can be directly linked to T.J. Happy for him to get a job at a major university. Really to bad it wasn’t with the Gophers.

If we have an opening in 2-3 years he will be better prepared candidate. Not sure it's a bad thing.

I'm the Bo Jangles of Gopher Hole! But we must remind ourselves that Richard has been courted to some degree by a handful of schools over his years here. And coming off a very successful season, I'm not sure why that would suddenly stop. Just be prepared if he leaves!

Don't flatter yourself.

I'm the Bo Jangles of Gopher Hole! But we must remind ourselves that Richard has been courted to some degree by a handful of schools over his years here. And coming off a very successful season, I'm not sure why that would suddenly stop. Just be prepared if he leaves!

More like the Little Bo Peep.

Syracuse?

Pick another rumor school for pitino...Dwight

What about Syracuse? Its near where Richard grew up. Pitino is a big time name to fill a big time name in Boeheim. Should Boeheim leave that is?

What about Syracuse? Its near where Richard grew up. Pitino is a big time name to fill a big time name in Boeheim. Should Boeheim leave that is?

Syracuse will not hire Richard for that job. It will be Hopkins coming home if he wants it. JB is seeing Buddy through and will be gone one year before K. Richard is not a big name in coaching.

Syracuse will not hire Richard for that job. It will be Hopkins coming home if he wants it. JB is seeing Buddy through and will be gone one year before K. Richard is not a big name in coaching.

Why do you keep engaging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a whisper from a single credible source. Staffs and agents from everywhere are now in town and no one i know thinks Arkansas has any interest.

You may be right. Im just putting it out there, sometimes where there is smoke, there is fire.

Top Bottom