Will Richard Pitino bolt the Gophers to go to Alabama

IF Pitino leaves - where is he most likely to land?

• Alabama

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Texas A&M

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Temple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UNLV

• Vanderbilt

• Washington State

• HE'S NEVER LEAVING!

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Some Yet Unknown college

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dwight Schrute

When I die I want to be frozen
Reaction score

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Avery-Johnson-Alabama-basketball-reaction-fired-130465151/

Richard Pitino has often been associated to Alabama basketball. Will this years tremendous success finally allow him to make a move it seems he's always been linked to, now that Avery Johnson was fired?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...-pitino-almost-take-alabama-head-coaching-gig

LOL.

I wouldnt blame Pitino for leaving. Buys him another 4-5 seasons somewhere else, rather than the 1 he has here.

LOL.

I wouldnt blame Pitino for leaving. Buys him another 4-5 seasons somewhere else, rather than the 1 he has here.

We all have heard the rumors about the Pitino family and the close ties with Nick Saban. Maybe Saban will finally get to pick his guy to bring Alabama basketball up to par with the football program. And Pitino may be that guy, look at the success he brought to MN in just 6 years! Pretty good by most measures.

He's going to have the same troubles at Bama as he has had here if he were to leave. A lateral move but prior to Pitino the programs probably were in the same place.

We all have heard the rumors about the Pitino family and the close ties with Nick Saban. Maybe Saban will finally get to pick his guy to bring Alabama basketball up to par with the football program. And Pitino may be that guy, look at the success he brought to MN in just 6 years! Pretty good by most measures.

They can not get their first 5 choices. No one has a first 5 with anyone having a 40-70 record.

He's going to have the same troubles at Bama as he has had here if he were to leave. A lateral move but prior to Pitino the programs probably were in the same place.

Alabama has a bigger pocket book! I have heard him linked not to Vandy, UCLA, Alabama, Cal. Richard may be one of the hottest commodities who could be on the market right now. His massive turnaround at MN is being noticed all throughout the league.

Will Coyle give him an extension to keep him around?

Alabama has a bigger pocket book! I have heard him linked not to Vandy, UCLA, Alabama, Cal. Richard may be one of the hottest commodities who could be on the market right now. His massive turnaround at MN is being noticed all throughout the league.

The massive turnaround where he took a team that went to the round of 32 and finished two games under .500 in the big ten, and in only 6 years had them in the round of 32 and two games under .500 in the big ten?

None of this is true. Alabama is looking at Prohm and Muss as realistic hires. I do not know of anyone in the business who considers Richard at best netter than top 8 in his own conference. Now if they really want to make a splash they could hire his dad.

They can not get their first 5 choices. No one has a first 5 with anyone having a 40-70 record.

We all know Richard has performed miracles in Minnesota. He has faced headwinds his entire career here. From scandals to injuries to AD problems - Richard has been a fantastic trooper thru it all, and got us one eyelash from the sweet sixteen! I think if Richard throws his name out there thru the Villa 7 connections, he will be a top candidate for many power house jobs. I expect him gone within a few weeks.

We all know Richard has performed miracles in Minnesota. He has faced headwinds his entire career here. From scandals to injuries to AD problems - Richard has been a fantastic trooper thru it all, and got us one eyelash from the sweet sixteen! I think if Richard throws his name out there thru the Villa 7 connections, he will be a top candidate for many power house jobs. I expect him gone within a few weeks.

I am often slow to sarcasm, good one.

None of this is true. Alabama is looking at Prohm and Muss as realistic hires. I do not know of anyone in the business who considers Richard at best netter than top 8 in his own conference. Now if they really want to make a splash they could hire his dad.

I've got people watching theTwitter feeds and Google Trends and Richard has been quietly linked to many big jobs throughout the country. You can deny it all you want, but sadly that is true. And sometimes a little splash is the biggest splash you can make. Bama knows this first rule of hiring a coach.

Thad Motta or maybe Kelvin Sampson (does Bama have the guts to make the move?)

that article and notion is funny. No Way he leaves

I've got people watching theTwitter feeds and Google Trends and Richard has been quietly linked to many big jobs throughout the country. You can deny it all you want, but sadly that is true. And sometimes a little splash is the biggest splash you can make. Bama knows this first rule of hiring a coach.

Got it, thought you were kidding. I do not know of a single AD, any big donors, ASSOCIATE AD's that think Pitino is a hot prospect. I also think he is wanting to be hear. If your source is twitter your far from anything credible. They already contacted Prohm directly.

Thad Motta or maybe Kelvin Sampson (does Bama have the guts to make the move?)

The question is, why would Alabama not make this move? Pitino is young, smart, a great recruiter, can deal with adversity, a great school first guy, good in the community, does not make waves, he doesn't berate players (like Izzo) , has a great family lineage, well connected to the east coach recruiting market (IE Inner NYC basketball) , knows the Alabama system, his dad can advise. I fear the handwriting is on the wall.

I have so few people on my ignore list - I can't remember why this guy made the cut. A couple more pages I bet it becomes apparent.

I have so few people on my ignore list - I can't remember why this guy made the cut. A couple more pages I bet it becomes apparent.

He's just investing heavily into his bit. Lots of effort means lots of time to waste in his/her life

Why not? Big Big money may talk. Its the way of the world these days. Richard is a hot commodity I hate to say it!

there is no way he is a HOT Commodity.... he was on the hot seat for half the year. funny stuff

If he wants to bolt for Alabama go ahead. Good luck to him.

I didn’t know Rick was posting here until now.

Last edited:

The question is, why would Alabama not make this move? Pitino is young, smart, a great recruiter, can deal with adversity, a great school first guy, good in the community, does not make waves, he doesn't berate players (like Izzo) , has a great family lineage, well connected to the east coach recruiting market (IE Inner NYC basketball) , knows the Alabama system, his dad can advise. I fear the handwriting is on the wall.

All true, BUT...he is losing his hair! :(

Way to lighten up the day, but Pitino isn't going anywhere. He likes it here, things are starting to turn and there is no way he gets fired.

I thought all of the "Pitino to Alabama" steam was based on his dad anyway? That's what I got from Twitter atleast.

If he wants to bolt for Alabama go ahead. Good luck to him.

I didn’t know Rick was posting here until now.

I'd say Alabama is a tougher gig than here. Avery Johnson didn't have a losing season over his four year tenure. He went to one NCAA tournament and three NITs (although he lost his opening game in all three). His record wasn't great but wasn't terrible either. I wouldn't say that Alabama was particularly patient here.

Alabama did pay better, though. Johnson made about 2.8 or 2.9 million per year.

Pitino is the Greatest coach ever great recruiting never missed a MN. kid....great winning % in Big Ten ...several final fours here...no way U of M can afford to pay him what he is worth

Top Bottom