Next 7 months

You also think that the younger one is going to be a bust, so your opinion doesn't really mean anything.

Not a bust, but nothing special. Nothing like some have him being on this site. 10 points a game and mediocre defense.

At worst I'll be one for one.

I hope he kills it and makes 100 million some day! Both kids seem like great people!

I would have gone back to watch them again, but dad kind of turned me off to doing that. I hope he goes somewhere that he can be watched. The state of Minnesota got screwed never being able to see him

and of course my opinion means nothing......whose does?

Last edited:

Not a bust, but nothing special. Nothing like some have him being on this site. 10 points a game and mediocre defense.

At worst I'll be one for one.

I hope he kills it and makes 100 million some day! Both kids seem like great people!

Is that how much you think he will average if he goes to a school like Duke or Kentucky?

Funny Story!

I posted that the older Hurt was not big 10 caliber 3 or 4 years ago on another site. Said he was too slow and wouldn't get his shot off. Nothing personal, but just what I happened to think.

Dad then comes and rips me a new one with all of his offers, etc. I never knew the dad was on the board. I just posted my opinion on a player from the one time I saw him. I couldn't have been more right if................
It was easy to spot. Many here at the GH were convinced he was going to light the B1G on fire from 3.
His release was slow and his guide hand was going to make his shot inconsistent, but apparently that didn't matter.
However, all appearances say that Michael is a wonderful and positive person/teammate. All respect to him for his effort given.

Is that how much you think he will average if he goes to a school like Duke or Kentucky?

That's about what Tre is scoring for Duke and he's not half the offensive player Matt Hurt is.

It was easy to spot. Many here at the GH were convinced he was going to light the B1G on fire from 3.

I haven't seen anyone on here suggesting that.

His release was slow and his guide hand was going to make his shot inconsistent, but apparently that didn't matter.

Correct. Which is why he shot over 40% in high school, but I suppose his guide hand suddenly started affecting his shot in college even though it didn't in high school.

I haven't seen anyone on here suggesting that.

Correct. Which is why he shot over 40% in high school, but I suppose his guide hand suddenly started affecting his shot in college even though it didn't in high school.
He played against weak-ass competition in and around Rochester. Even his baby brother couldn't get out from under the scrub competition.
If you didn't see it, you weren't reading the recruiting topics for Michael on the GH. Many, like you now, couldn't spot a true shooter if the ACME neon sign were blinking at it. Michael never fixed his problem and at this level it got magnified.
One thing to point out about Pitino is that he has not recruited shooters (or if he has, they have rarely come) other than Gabe. I'm not sure why it's so hard for Minnesota to recruit shooters, but it is.
In any case, it was obvious Michael Hurt was going to struggle to shoot at this level.

Correct. Pitino's fate will be decided by the November 2019 signing period. He needs to crush it this spring and next fall. If he does that, and we do well next year on the court, then we should commit to him for a long time.

As many of you know i study several programs and few a truly deep. UVA is in trouble after number 8 because they red shirt. Duke suffers after 8. UNC can play 9, Kentucky 9, FSU plays 10 because of size and how they play. UW suffers after 7. Those are very strong programs. KU lost 3 players and got boatraced because they depth was not there. Kids pick coaches, programs and playing time. We got this roster because guys knew they would play right away !

This is so correct. I wonder if people look at these other programs when they expect us to go 11-12 deep. Most colleges play 7 with an 8th guy getting under10 minutes. If anything Pitino played too many guys in years past. i expect this spring to be good to the gophers because of available minutes.

Last edited:

He played against weak-ass competition in and around Rochester. Even his baby brother couldn't get out from under the scrub competition.
If you didn't see it, you weren't reading the recruiting topics for Michael on the GH. Many, like you now, couldn't spot a true shooter if the ACME neon sign were blinking at it. Michael never fixed his problem and at this level it got magnified.
One thing to point out about Pitino is that he has not recruited shooters (or if he has, they have rarely come) other than Gabe. I'm not sure why it's so hard for Minnesota to recruit shooters, but it is.
In any case, it was obvious Michael Hurt was going to struggle to shoot at this level.

It's more that the shooters didn't stay or pan out. Knock down shooters aren't a dime a dozen and normally have some flaw or they are blue blood kids.

It's more that the shooters didn't stay or pan out. Knock down shooters aren't a dime a dozen and normally have some flaw or they are blue blood kids.

Exactly right. Gilbert, Harris, Stull and others fit that description.

This is so correct. I wonder if people look at these other programs when they expect us to go 11-12 deep. Most colleges play 7 with an 8th guy getting under10 minutes. If anything Pitino played too many guys in years past. i expect this spring to be good to the gophers because of available minutes.

False characterization of the argument. No one expects the team to go 11 or 12 deep. People just want a 7 or 8 man rotation where every player in that rotation is capable of contributing something. That's especially important when injuries or suspensions come, things that are hardly remote possibilities for this program.

False characterization of the argument. No one expects the team to go 11 or 12 deep. People just want a 7 or 8 man rotation where every player in that rotation is capable of contributing something. That's especially important when injuries or suspensions come, things that are hardly remote possibilities for this program.

Of course everyone wants depth. Probably more shooting too. I'm not saying Pitino isn't to blame as I know you'd like to blame him for it, but it's not easy or common that teams truly have that depth. Guys 7 and 8 are typically singular skill players or are cost neutral to allow players to rest. Very few teams in the country have that type of depth. Depending on how spring recruiting fills out, we may have 7-8 Next year.

Ideally you have 3 bench guys who can contribute at a high level. One big man, one guard, and one more at any position. Your 9 and 10 guys can simply be bodies to use for fouls, or freshmen who need development like Omersa.

with the proviso that players have defined roles. Most coaches have a rotation that they follow, and they tend to stick to it unless guys get in foul trouble, or if a player is just having a brutal night. With the Gophers' bench, it seemed like the roles and rotation were never settled. Washington would get more minutes some games, and vanish in other games. Stockman hardly played for a number of games, then showed late in the year he could contribute when given some minutes. Hurt's minutes also went up and down. Omersa rarely played unless there were no other options. If they hadn't already had two guys sitting out the year as transfers, I wonder if Omersa would have been red-shirted.

Sure, the coaching staff may have its reasons for all of that, but I think Pitino needs to have a better plan for using his bench, and a more settled rotation. just my 2 cents worth.

with the proviso that players have defined roles. Most coaches have a rotation that they follow, and they tend to stick to it unless guys get in foul trouble, or if a player is just having a brutal night. With the Gophers' bench, it seemed like the roles and rotation were never settled. Washington would get more minutes some games, and vanish in other games. Stockman hardly played for a number of games, then showed late in the year he could contribute when given some minutes. Hurt's minutes also went up and down. Omersa rarely played unless there were no other options. If they hadn't already had two guys sitting out the year as transfers, I wonder if Omersa would have been red-shirted.

Sure, the coaching staff may have its reasons for all of that, but I think Pitino needs to have a better plan for using his bench, and a more settled rotation. just my 2 cents worth.
I mean, it’s not like there was some superstar riding the pine every night (sorry IW fan club). Pitino consistently cited “matchups” for his bench playing time decisions. I suspect that’s coach-speak for “I’m not going to discuss that.”

The two things that I found myself scratching my head about *occasionally* were why Matz didn’t get more time in January and February and why IW didn’t get a shot at the point once in a while. But I also don’t think it was some colossal mistake to keep them on the bench either. IW had big issues and Matz was behind 2 guys on a different plane in Murphy and Oturu and another we were trying to restore to form.

I think you are right on Omersa too. If Hurt was better, Omersa could have been redshirted. But as much as we all love Mike, he was very low impact.

Jamir Harris was considered a shooter.

Totally agree with the OP. Pitino needs to prove that he has learned from his past roster management mistakes, and that he can win some big recruiting battles. Ive always found it curious that for a young, charismatic guy, Pitino seems to miss on a lot of high priority recruits...in any event, if Pitino doesn’t knock it out of the park with Spring recruiting we are going to get abused in the Big Ten and He will be gone.

Did he ever put on a suit or was he kicked out? I can't recall him.

I take it you didn't watch our games last year. He played in 28 games last season and started 2. Scored double figures in a couple Big Ten games.

I take it you didn't watch our games last year. He played in 28 games last season and started 2. Scored double figures in a couple Big Ten games.
Yep, I'm drawing a blank on the kid. He must have been memorable.

JimmyJamesMD pretty much nailed it. We will know so much about the future of the program (and Pitino's tenure) before we even see another game. I feel like the issue besides depth that it not discussed enough is individual scoring ability. We had two guys who were a problem for the other team in Murphy and Coffey. If a team had a particularly good answer for one of those guys, we didn't have another option that could get us 20 points. Gabe and Daniel are both good players but neither has shown the ability (yet) to just be able to go get a bucket on their own consistently. The end result is that this team just had no where to go, especially in late clock situations, when Coffey or Murphy was being shut down.

At this point I think it's too late to have a strong or deep front court next year, assuming everyone hasn't been completely wrong about Hurt. But I hope injuries this year showed Pitino that he needs 2 more guys he can play including 1 who can start or at least play big minutes off the bench. Even without injuries or transfers the guys we have now aren't great and will limit us to the middle of the pack at best. The team as it sits now is an injury away from having a repeat of the 2015-16 season.

If he can get a solid power forward next year should be solid. It will be hard to replace Murphy but the team will shoot better with Gabe hopefully getting more consistent, Coffey back in his natural position, and a point guard who can help guys get good shots. The front court won't be great but they shouldn't be a liability. Then Pitino can look to make the front court strong with the next class.

Did he ever put on a suit or was he kicked out? I can't recall him.

Played in 28 games, started 2 and averaged about 14 minutes a game. Scored 16 at Penn St. Showed glimpses of being able to shoot pretty well.

Another thought/question: does this team have any plays designed to get Gabe K an open shot in key situations? at this point in his development, Gabe clearly shoots better in certain situations/positions. You would think the coaching staff could draw up a play designed to get him open for a good shot. If they're running it, I don't see it.

From my vantage point, it looks more like they throw the ball to a guy, and expect him to create his own shot. some guys just don't do that as well as others - they need a little help. and - I hate the way the gophers set those half-screens - where the screener doesn't really get set and pick the defensive player - but just brushes by the defender. If you're going to set a screen, set a real screen. bring in Janelle Mc Carville to show them how to set a screen. She used to pancake one or two defenders a game.

Another thought/question: does this team have any plays designed to get Gabe K an open shot in key situations? at this point in his development, Gabe clearly shoots better in certain situations/positions. You would think the coaching staff could draw up a play designed to get him open for a good shot. If they're running it, I don't see it.

From my vantage point, it looks more like they throw the ball to a guy, and expect him to create his own shot. some guys just don't do that as well as others - they need a little help. and - I hate the way the gophers set those half-screens - where the screener doesn't really get set and pick the defensive player - but just brushes by the defender. If you're going to set a screen, set a real screen. bring in Janelle Mc Carville to show them how to set a screen. She used to pancake one or two defenders a game.

Having a point guard really helps. Agree on the screens.

Of course they have sets. Down 3 at Michigan late would be one example. Down 1 against Washington at the end of the game (although GK was like the 3rd option on that play) is another. Those turned out ok.

They've run plays for him at times. But that doesn't guarantee an open shot for him. If he's shooting well, the defense will key on him, especially since we don't have any other great shooters. Need another guy to be able to consistently hit outside shots.

Top Bottom