Next year's starting 5

frannyjunk

Reaction score
Who are the likely starters (and backups):

PG Marcus Carr (Isiah Washington)
SG Gabe Kalscheur (Payton Willis)
SF Amir Coffey (Tre Williams)
PF Eric Curry (Jarvis Omersa/Michael Hurt)
C Daniel Oturu (?)

So they appear to need a backup center (potential JUCO?) and depth/upgrade at PF. What are your thoughts?

I LOVE Curry. He was going to be all big ten prior to his injury. But Pitino needs to assume that player is never coming back and find a starter NEXT SEASON at the 4.

I like Omersa's game, and I like his chances of being a starter when he's an upperclassmen. But his game would need to have a big jump to next season to be a starter.

Pitino needs to find a grand transfer or JUCO for next season to start. That players needs to be able to shoot a jumper. If not, then he needs to find TWO power forwards, with one that has a good jump shot.

If Pitino finds that starter at the 4, that starting lineup is going to be money.

Can't count on Curry to start. If he can give them 10 or 15 productive minutes a game, that is all you can expect at this point. anything more than that is a bonus.

Hurt will not be back. he will join his brother as a grad transfer.

Omersa to me is a 6th man, energy guy off the bench type.

I concur with Jimmy. This team needs a JUCO or grad transfer who can walk in here and start from day one. And every recruit needs to have a perimeter game.

I could see this team going "small" a lot next year.

It seems like we would be a prime spot for a power forward looking to transfer. Starting spot available and good chance of making the tournament. We need to get someone who will be a significant contributor at that position. The names that have popped up thus far are not encouraging, but it's certainly very early.

The switch from McBrayer to Carr is going to be a huge jump to the lineup. McBrayer was a shooting guard who couldnt shoot (though he became a very good defender)

Sadly, most of the PF and C recruiting targets on the list are mostly 2 stars. I only see one 3 star target. While Oturu can play some PF or C, he is only one body. The Gophers need at least 2 more players at the PF/C position, but the prospects look bleak at this point.

A little thin up front, and of course we need a shooter or two. But this should still be a very fun team to watch, especially if Oturu is capable of taking the next step.

JTG

Oturu will definitely start at the 5. Hopefully Curry doesn't have to start at the 4.

We need a starting 4 and a backup center that can play next year. Another shooter would be good too.

I would assume Curry will never play again. If he does great but Pitino shouldn't expect anything.

The Gophers need a power forward who can start, another shooter, and a backup center in that order. If Coffey stays and they pick up a solid PF, the Gophers should have a shot at one of the top spots in the conference and a seed similar to 2016-17 in the tournament. If Curry/Omersa are our best power forwards things look worse but the Gophers have a shot at the tournament. If they don't get a PF and Coffey goes it will be a long season.

Top Bottom