Amir Coffey

Part of why he came here was to be a primary ball handler. He's always done that. He'd be dumb to not declare and test the waters. Needs to improve shooting more still and defend better to get drafted. He's a Shaun Livingston type.

Last edited:

Personally don’t think Coffey ever sees significant minutes in the nba
If he leaves now, it is to play abroad

Part of why he came here was to be a primary ball handler. He's always done that. He'd be dumb to not declare and test the waters. Needs to improve shooting more still and defend better to get drafted. He's a Shaun Livingston type.

Livingston was a pure point and an infinitely better ball handler and passer than Amir before his injury.

I actually think Amir's time at PG has hurt his draft stock.

If he played with a natural PG, his shooting numbers would likely look much better. A lot of his threes now are off the bounce.

Livingston was a pure point and an infinitely better ball handler and passer than Amir before his injury.

I was more talking about their roles in the NBA. , but yes you can be correct.

If someone guarantees that he’ll go in the first round he should go. Can’t see that happening, though. Lots of better players out there. (I love him cause he’s ours, but there’s a a first round of better players than him just in the tourney).

I actually think Amir's time at PG has hurt his draft stock.

If he played with a natural PG, his shooting numbers would likely look much better. A lot of his threes now are off the bounce.

I disagree. He improved his ball skills, and gain more confidence in taking charge of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree. He improved his ball skills, and gain more confidence in taking charge of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's not how wings play money in the NBA. One of the most coveted positions is a 3&D wing. He wasted his JR season having to be a point guard and not showing his ability to be a wing.

His three point shooting to a drastic hit by this style of play.

A 6'8" guy who shot 40% from 3, can handle the ball, and finish in transition - - that's a first round player.
A 6'8" guy who shot 30% from 3. That player probably doesn't get drafted in the current NBA.

I wouldn't call 3% change drastic. Amir will probably never be a 40% 3 pt shooter. He will be around 35%. His drop this year in percentage was more having to do with taking contested 3's as well as shooting more of them than he ever has as he became our primary scoring option.

That's not how wings play money in the NBA. One of the most coveted positions is a 3&D wing. He wasted his JR season having to be a point guard and not showing his ability to be a wing.
Respectfully disagree. Amir spent this year learning how to handle the basketball against heavy pressure, learning how to go to his right, learning how to create his own shot under duress, learning how to lead the break and learning how to shoot heavily contested threes off no screen or only a high screen.

Next year, if we have a competent PG, he will advance all these things while under less pressure and while being setup to do so, rather than forced to create for himself every single time. But the experience he had this year will continue to prove valuable for years to come. He definitely improved, finally having it all click for the last month. I give both Coffey and Pitino a ton of credit for a lot of hard work that paid off.

Come back another year. Show you can lock in on D. Amir’s money at the next level is as a slasher that can play D. He showed bursts when he engages, but falls asleep too often. Right now, who would you put him guarding at the next level? He hasn’t shown he can cover a position at the next level and isn’t enough of a scorer to offset that, so he will have very limited interest

This whole thread is pointless honestly. I haven't even seen his name in a 1st or 2nd round in any mock draft for 2019 or 2020. He should test the waters but I doubt he gets drafted even if he returns. He is not an efficient scorer, his handles are decent, his jumpshot is inconsistent and his defense is mediocre. He is a great player for us but that doesn't exactly translate to NBA player.

Regardless of what he decides to do, if he comes back he'll have a chance to add to his game and become more consistent, which helps all parties. He's a work in progress, and I think he knows that.

Regardless of what he decides to do, if he comes back he'll have a chance to add to his game and become more consistent, which helps all parties. He's a work in progress, and I think he knows that.

Plus, he most likely will be sporting a new hairdo. :)

Respectfully disagree. Amir spent this year learning how to handle the basketball against heavy pressure, learning how to go to his right, learning how to create his own shot under duress, learning how to lead the break and learning how to shoot heavily contested threes off no screen or only a high screen.

Next year, if we have a competent PG, he will advance all these things while under less pressure and while being setup to do so, rather than forced to create for himself every single time. But the experience he had this year will continue to prove valuable for years to come. He definitely improved, finally having it all click for the last month. I give both Coffey and Pitino a ton of credit for a lot of hard work that paid off.

I agree he added to those parts of the game, those just aren't nearly as valuable as a wing that knocks down open shots from distance.

I wouldn't call 3% change drastic. Amir will probably never be a 40% 3 pt shooter. He will be around 35%. His drop this year in percentage was more having to do with taking contested 3's as well as shooting more of them than he ever has as he became our primary scoring option.

He shot 37% as a sophomore and 30% as a junior.

That drop is drastic. I agree with your analysis as to why that drop occurred and I think it's giving him the perception of being a worse shooter than he is. He shot a lot of threes off the bounce. His are more contested than the average wing.

I'd love to see a season of upperclass Amir being able to play wing. He would have more of his outside shots coming with his feet set, less contested. He'll be able to conserve some energy on offense rather than playing iso ball at the end of every shot clock. He'll be able to crash the boards a bit more. You know, play a wing position.

He shot 37% as a sophomore and 30% as a junior.

That drop is drastic. I agree with your analysis as to why that drop occurred and I think it's giving him the perception of being a worse shooter than he is. He shot a lot of threes off the bounce. His are more contested than the average wing.

I'd love to see a season of upperclass Amir being able to play wing. He would have more of his outside shots coming with his feet set, less contested. He'll be able to conserve some energy on offense rather than playing iso ball at the end of every shot clock. He'll be able to crash the boards a bit more. You know, play a wing position.

The hope being Carr and an improved washington can take PG load off his shoulders

Besides expanding his skill set, he needs to become a student of THE game, of HIS OWN game, and of HIS TEAMMATES' games. He can be unstoppable playing to his strengths, and he can do way more to set Gabe up for easy jumpers.

I haven't seen him listed on any mock drafts for 1st or 2nd round in 2019 or 2020.

Last edited:

One point to consider is that if he comes back for another year and the Gophers make some noise, he can further cement his family's MN legacy. That level of status would ultimately pay off for him down the road, locally, in all other ventures of life, NBA notwithstanding.

An interesting comp to Coffey is Jordan Nwora who plays for Louisville. Nwora is a soph and is rated as a low first round option (28 range on NBA draft.net). Nwora is 6-7 a better rebounder than Coffey and shoots the 3 at around 37.5 percentage with some volume versus Coffey's 30 % shooting. Coffey is the better passer. Maybe that's not a perfect comp but that shows how difficult it is to get to the low first round range. If you get outside the first round - then it's probably better to do another year in college.

An interesting comp to Coffey is Jordan Nwora who plays for Louisville. Nwora is a soph and is rated as a low first round option (28 range on NBA draft.net). Nwora is 6-7 a better rebounder than Coffey and shoots the 3 at around 37.5 percentage with some volume versus Coffey's 30 % shooting. Coffey is the better passer. Maybe that's not a perfect comp but that shows how difficult it is to get to the low first round range. If you get outside the first round - then it's probably better to do another year in college.

I think we see Amir in a different light as to everyone else. There are a lot of holes in his game. He has a slight frame, left hand dominant, inconsistent shooter, settles for Js way too much when he can attack more, doesn't use his length and athleticism on defense. I think he can play his way onto teams radars but I just don't see him as a NBA player right now because we truly can't name one thing he is great at.

Maybe he just wants to start making money, whether or not it's in the NBA. A lot of players worse than him play for a long time overseas for good money. Hope for the NBA, settle for ... Spain or wherever.

Top Bottom