Amir Coffey

Maybe he just wants to start making money, whether or not it's in the NBA. A lot of players worse than him play for a long time overseas for good money. Hope for the NBA, settle for ... Spain or wherever.

i would imagine that is not his fathers nor his dream

I think we see Amir in a different light as to everyone else. There are a lot of holes in his game. He has a slight frame, left hand dominant, inconsistent shooter, settles for Js way too much when he can attack more, doesn't use his length and athleticism on defense. I think he can play his way onto teams radars but I just don't see him as a NBA player right now because we truly can't name one thing he is great at.

I agree. Although I will say that a major improvement he made this season was knowing when to take a 8 foot shot versus just piling all the way in and throwing up a wild shot in traffic. He has become really good at finishing in the short floater range. He needs to be a tremendous defender and a better shooter and rebounder to make an NBA roster.

As mentioned in a previous thread, last year there were 236 early entries.

Coffey (and Oturu) are obviously better than at least 200 of them.

If 236 are early entries, Coffey is not 'obviously' better than 200 of them. According to all the mock drafts, 60+ players are ahead of him.

Who knows, he could be #65 or #120.

Don't see Coffey as being any better than Andre or Austin Hollins, both of which were average in Europe.

My take:

It has been said that something "clicked" for the Gophers offense in the last half-dozen or so games of the year. The "something" was Amir. I have no idea what he did or what he "learned" or how he did it. But he became comfortable - not able (he was always able) - comfortable taking over games. He began imposing his will on games. Earlier in the season that did not happen.

Take the Rutgers game, for example. Yes, he scored 29. But he was the recipient of 5 fast-break dunks/lay-ups, and 5 more garbage-time free throws. In other words, a major part of his production resulted from letting the game come to him. Taking what the game gave him. That is excellent advice for freshman - and precisely what Gabe and Oturu mainly do. But upperclassmen need to do more than take what the game gives them. They need to command the outcome of the game.

Beginning with the Northwestern game, Amir made the transition. He was no longer a generally productive passive participant in the game. He commanded the course of the game. And that is the difference between winning and losing. That's what Mason did for us.

I made a post earlier in the season saying that Amir has the ability to be The Man but does not have the psychological make-up to be The Man. My official apology to him if he reads this or give two sh!ts what I think. He has is now The Man and the Gophers are better for it.

Bottom line: need a PF, and Amir needs to adjust to continue being The Man without being the PG. God willing, we get Battle and have a couple of shooting threats.
Accomplish that and we'll be at least as good this next year.

My take:

It has been said that something "clicked" for the Gophers offense in the last half-dozen or so games of the year. The "something" was Amir. I have no idea what he did or what he "learned" or how he did it. But he became comfortable - not able (he was always able) - comfortable taking over games. He began imposing his will on games. Earlier in the season that did not happen.

Take the Rutgers game, for example. Yes, he scored 29. But he was the recipient of 5 fast-break dunks/lay-ups, and 5 more garbage-time free throws. In other words, a major part of his production resulted from letting the game come to him. Taking what the game gave him. That is excellent advice for freshman - and precisely what Gabe and Oturu mainly do. But upperclassmen need to do more than take what the game gives them. They need to command the outcome of the game.

Beginning with the Northwestern game, Amir made the transition. He was no longer a generally productive passive participant in the game. He commanded the course of the game. And that is the difference between winning and losing. That's what Mason did for us.

I made a post earlier in the season saying that Amir has the ability to be The Man but does not have the psychological make-up to be The Man. My official apology to him if he reads this or give two sh!ts what I think. He has is now The Man and the Gophers are better for it.

Bottom line: need a PF, and Amir needs to adjust to continue being The Man without being the PG. God willing, we get Battle and have a couple of shooting threats.
Accomplish that and we'll be at least as good this next year.

Good points on Coffey being the aggressor and willing the team to win. Just think how much better he would look if he was surrounded by other threats to score (like Purdue, MSU, or Michigan).

Coffey would be best advised to shoot a thousand 3 pointers a day in the off-season. Comeback and become a 36% + 3 pt shooter to get an NBA shot.

Coffey has some similarities to Shaun Livingston and Kyle Anderson. Guys that are 6'8/6'9 who can play on the ball. Both have carved out nice bench roles in the NBA.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Coffey has some similarities to Shaun Livingston and Kyle Anderson. Guys that are 6'8/6'9 who can play on the ball. Both have carved out nice bench roles in the NBA.

Coffey can defend. That will be his ticket to play in the NBA.

JayKay be coming for ya on that Shaun Livingston compassion... Amir's life in the NBA will be more on if he's willing to defend. He works hard and shoots a ton already and will develop that to the best that it will be. Teams need to know he's willing to defend.

Both of whom almost never miss an open look. Coffey has a lot of strengths, but consistent shooting is not one of them right now. If he can consistently knock down an open look, he will play in the NBA. If he can't, there is always someone who will.

Both of whom almost never miss an open look. Coffey has a lot of strengths, but consistent shooting is not one of them right now. If he can consistently knock down an open look, he will play in the NBA. If he can't, there is always someone who will.

Kyle Anderson is a 32% career 3 pt shooter, and Livingston is like a 20% shooter. Both were worse in college/high school than Amir. Amir's not a great shooter, but he's also not terrible and couple probably end up being a 30-35% guy in the NBA. where guys like Gerald Green and Terry Rozier shoot it at.

Kyle Anderson is a 32% career 3 pt shooter, and Livingston is like a 20% shooter. Both were worse in college/high school than Amir. Amir's not a great shooter, but he's also not terrible and couple probably end up being a 30-35% guy in the NBA. where guys like Gerald Green and Terry Rozier shoot it at.
it's amazing how nitpicky some people on here are (not you manderson).. Coffey is probably one of the most skilled 6'8+ players in college basketball. He's elite in transition and attacking the rim. He was a 34.5% 3-point shooter coming into this season. He has the tools and can obviously develop those further in the offseason. I'm not so sure he needs another full year to prove he is a NBA-caliber wing player

it's amazing how nitpicky some people on here are (not you manderson).. Coffey is probably one of the most skilled 6'8+ players in college basketball. He's elite in transition and attacking the rim. He was a 34.5% 3-point shooter coming into this season. He has the tools and can obviously develop those further in the offseason. I'm not so sure he needs another full year to prove he is a NBA-caliber wing player

Scouts really look at these things closely too and the line of who makes it and doesn't is thin, but you're right, we kind of treat Amir like hes garbage sometimes. He was hands down the MVP and leader of this team. Also a fun stat is to look at what the Gophers record was when he plays. He's a legacy kid who stayed here and was a top 50 recruit despite tearing his ACL and not playing as a JR year of HS, otherwise he was a top 30 recruit.

I think he could be drafted, just not in the first round. By returning and working on his game, finishing in traffic, absorbing contact and finishing, and jump shooting. I could see him moving into the first round and getting guaranteed money.

We will soon find out if the NBA scouts agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are so many players in other conferences that are solid wings. Duke has 3 1st round wings on 1 team also you are not accounting for international wings who are always 6'7 and up that NBA teams love to stash in Europe while holding on to their rights. Amir isn't garbage but there are a lot of other prospects he is competing with.

per Shama:

With his outstanding play in regular season and tournament games in March, Gophers junior forward Amir Coffey might now project as a late first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Coffey will test NBA interest in the coming weeks. He is better than some players on current NBA rosters, but he might benefit from gaining more physical strength and experience by returning to Minnesota for his final season of eligibility.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

With his outstanding play in regular season and tournament games in March, Gophers junior forward Amir Coffey might now project as a late first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Coffey will test NBA interest in the coming weeks. He is better than some players on current NBA rosters, but he might benefit from gaining more physical strength and experience by returning to Minnesota for his final season of eligibility.

Go Gophers!!

I doubt Amir's stock gets any higher next year, he'll be older and there is very small chance he improves on his 20+ppg over the final 8 games of the season. If he comes back it's because he wants to play in front of Williams arena and he'll be taking a gamble at never getting drafted, imo.

He's physically strong enough to play in the NBA today, his skill set isn't really NBA ready but there are a ton of people that get drafted that benefit from a full-time job of shooting jumpers rather than only being able to be coached a certain number of hours per day.

As a Gopher fan, I hope he chooses to come back. I think if he gets a nod from someone he's gonna get drafted, he should go.

I doubt Amir's stock gets any higher next year, he'll be older and there is very small chance he improves on his 20+ppg over the final 8 games of the season. If he comes back it's because he wants to play in front of Williams arena and he'll be taking a gamble at never getting drafted, imo.

He's physically strong enough to play in the NBA today, his skill set isn't really NBA ready but there are a ton of people that get drafted that benefit from a full-time job of shooting jumpers rather than only being able to be coached a certain number of hours per day.

As a Gopher fan, I hope he chooses to come back. I think if he gets a nod from someone he's gonna get drafted, he should go.

I agree. Selfishly I want him back, but if chances are high or gets confirmed he goes in the first, he should go and I'd wish him well

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

this is a really really bad take by Shama

Amir is a guy who can have some dominant performances, but can also be so passive that he only scores like 6 or 8 points. I think he needs to prove that he can play with the mentality he had at the end of the year for a full season. If he does, he can definitely improve on his 16.6 ppg. I think he can also improve his efficiency from 3 if he's playing off the ball. Both of those things could improve his stock some even though he'll be a year older.

I like Amir but what is he gonna do at the next level? He's just not there yet physically. He's not a great shooter, he's not a good finisher. What's engraved in my mind from this past season is him driving wildly into the lane and throwing up bricks from a feet in. It's even more physical in the NBA. I truely believe one more year and he'll maximize his draft spot.

Amir is a guy who can have some dominant performances, but can also be so passive that he only scores like 6 or 8 points. I think he needs to prove that he can play with the mentality he had at the end of the year for a full season. If he does, he can definitely improve on his 16.6 ppg. I think he can also improve his efficiency from 3 if he's playing off the ball. Both of those things could improve his stock some even though he'll be a year older.

No doubt, however, the benefit of his 8 game run is unlikely to be improved upon. Therefore, if that's the current opinion of him, 20+ ppg game wrecker, he needs to jump.

No doubt, however, the benefit of his 8 game run is unlikely to be improved upon. Therefore, if that's the current opinion of him, 20+ ppg game wrecker, he needs to jump.

Agreed, I'm just assuming an 8 game stretch isn't long enough to convince people that's who he really is. I could be wrong.

LOL, he'll be back, let's please keep it real. He has work to do. Consistency and strength come to mind. If he can improve, I could see him being a 2nd round pick. Maybe....

I like Amir but what is he gonna do at the next level? He's just not there yet physically. He's not a great shooter, he's not a good finisher. What's engraved in my mind from this past season is him driving wildly into the lane and throwing up bricks from a feet in. It's even more physical in the NBA. I truely believe one more year and he'll maximize his draft spot.

I agree, except that I think he is a pretty good finisher when he gets near the rim. But, right now, I think he would still have great difficulty getting around defenders in the NBA in order to get to the basket. He basically has no crossover, and he is still very left-hand dominant.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

Where is Shama getting these first round projections. Also, what players are he talking about because there are a lot of players who dominated a tougher B1G that are role players at best (Evan Turner, Tim Hardaway Jr., Trey Burke). This Amir to the NBA talk is getting more ridiculous by the day. Will he enter probably? But 1st round no way in hell. Even 2nd round is a huge stretch.

Amir would benefit a lot by playing his senior year. So many players declare for the draft and never get selected.

Top Bottom