Amir Coffey

Amir would benefit a lot by playing his senior year. So many players declare for the draft and never get selected.

Also hopefully he'll have his degree or be close to it for his next chapter if Basketball is not it.

Is he better than Voshon? He went in the second round and played his senior year.

Is he better than Khalid? He went in the second round.

Mateen Cleeves also went in the second round.

And yes, I know Amir is 6'9".

I just don't see him going in the first round. And really, the latter half of the first round usually means the developmental league. I think he can improve his draft stock more playing a senior year at his primary position with spot time at PG. If he could just play with the authority he played with in the final 7.25 games (he was out of it for 30min at Maryland) for a whole season he could get the guaranteed cash NBA types are looking for.

Get an insurance policy and come back and play Amir!

JayKay be coming for ya on that Shaun Livingston compassion... Amir's life in the NBA will be more on if he's willing to defend. He works hard and shoots a ton already and will develop that to the best that it will be. Teams need to know he's willing to defend.

Doesn't matter how willing he is. With his little t-rex arms, he's going to struggle no matter how much effort he puts into it.

Looked at 3 mock drafts with two rounds, and Amir wasn't listed on any of them.

Doesn't matter how willing he is. With his little t-rex arms, he's going to struggle no matter how much effort he puts into it.

Good to know wingspan is the only thing that matters when playing D. I am well aware that it makes it easier and most elite defenders have a combo of good feet (most important), good wingspan, and great effort. Amir has good feet and position when he gives effort.

He’s a relentless player and I think he’ll be drafted mid to late second round. Is that enough for him to go? Probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to see a mock draft list him in the 1st or 2nd round. Just checked a few that updated in the past few days. Still don't see him listed.

Very few upperclassmen go in the 1st round. It's almost always full of freshman, sophomores and international players.

Is he better than Voshon? He went in the second round and played his senior year.

Is he better than Khalid? He went in the second round.

Mateen Cleeves also went in the second round.

And yes, I know Amir is 6'9".

I just don't see him going in the first round. And really, the latter half of the first round usually means the developmental league. I think he can improve his draft stock more playing a senior year at his primary position with spot time at PG. If he could just play with the authority he played with in the final 7.25 games (he was out of it for 30min at Maryland) for a whole season he could get the guaranteed cash NBA types are looking for.

Get an insurance policy and come back and play Amir!

Some teams (Miami) like a bunch of 6’7-6’9 players that don’t have a position.

Amir is not getting drafted this year. He's not going anywhere.

I have to agree. Third team all BigTen just doesn’t make you NBA. Part of Amir’s game is ready, but his shooting just isn’t. I know a lot are saying he needs to go now before HSers can enter the draft, but if you aren’t better than them you aren’t going to be in the league for long anyway. It’s hard to develop your game on the bench in the NBA. He will get a lot more improvement in his game being option one at the U.

Last edited:

I’d love to have a handful of long, lean greyhounds (like Oregon, Baylor, etc). Give me 2 true posts, 2 combo guards with great handles, and fill the roster up w/6-6 to 6-9 athletes that can shoot it. We have had few players over the years that haven’t had notable limitations: athletic but can’t shoot; good shooters that are too short, too slow, or both; posts that are tall but soft, rebound but can’t score, can score but not defend...

I’d love to have a handful of long, lean greyhounds (like Oregon, Baylor, etc). Give me 2 true posts, 2 combo guards with great handles, and fill the roster up w/6-6 to 6-9 athletes that can shoot it. We have had few players over the years that haven’t had notable limitations: athletic but can’t shoot; good shooters that are too short, too slow, or both; posts that are tall but soft, rebound but can’t score, can score but not defend...

Bingo. The problem is that those guys are at a premium.

Bingo. The problem is that those guys are at a premium.

Woah, you mean 6-6 to 6-9 guys who can shoot it aren't a dime a dozen? I get people don't care for Pitinos roster management (not necessarily a fan either), but this idea that we can just get these long dudes who bang in 3s all day is so laughable.

Maybe he just wants to start making money, whether or not it's in the NBA. A lot of players worse than him play for a long time overseas for good money. Hope for the NBA, settle for ... Spain or wherever.

I can't see Coffey foregoing his senior year to go play over seas, you rarely see players do that. He should test the NBA waters and if he isn't going to get drafted highly it would be in his best interest to come back for his senior year and try and improve his stock.

I can't see Coffey foregoing his senior year to go play over seas, you rarely see players do that. He should test the NBA waters and if he isn't going to get drafted highly it would be in his best interest to come back for his senior year and try and improve his stock.

All depends on how much he likes school and the college lifestyle and how urgent it is for him to play for pay. That's a question few would have the answer to unless they are family or very close friends. He's not going immediately to the NBA but there are other pro options if he wants them. Not likely the overseas options will diminish if he stays. I hope he likes college. Next year without him would likely be a disaster.

All depends on how much he likes school and the college lifestyle and how urgent it is for him to play for pay. That's a question few would have the answer to unless they are family or very close friends. He's not going immediately to the NBA but there are other pro options if he wants them. Not likely the overseas options will diminish if he stays. I hope he likes college. Next year without him would likely be a disaster.
He could’ve played overseas after last year and made a decision not to. I’m not too worried.

I'm surprised he is going to test the waters. So hiring an agent no longer means college is over? Don't think he will sniff first round this year-maybe next year? I hope he has a great year and does that.

Apparently there's a rule change so that an agent can be hired, but can still return for next year. I wasn't aware of that.

I'm surprised he is going to test the waters. So hiring an agent no longer means college is over? Don't think he will sniff first round this year-maybe next year? I hope he has a great year and does that.
From what I know he hasn't hired an agent. He's doing the same thing that Jordan Murphy did last spring. He's meeting with NBA officials and getting a good understanding of where he might land if he did declare for the draft. No agent needed.

From the Strib today (April 3)

Coffey has declared for the 2019 NBA Draft, a source told the Star Tribune. Coffey, a 6-8 junior guard, will work with an agent, but he's still leaving open the possibility of coming back for his senior year.

After leading Minnesota in scoring (16.6) and assists (3.2) this season, Coffey is now taking advantage of new NCAA rules allowing non-seniors to fully go through the draft process and still retain their college eligibility. In August, the NCAA announced that college basketball players can hire NCAA-certified agents if they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee to provide information on their draft stock.

The deadline to file that request is April 11. The paperwork for Coffey was submitted Tuesday, the source said.

Non-seniors who are invited to the predraft combine in Chicago also can remain in the NBA draft process and return to school if they go undrafted. Previously, the players declaring early for the draft had to withdraw their names 10 days after the combine on May 29. Invites for that combine will be delivered soon. The NBA draft is June 20.

Seems effectively like if there was breaking news in August of twins putting someone on trade waivers, when he doesn't get drafted he can come back

Top Bottom