Amir Coffey

gophersfan

Reaction score
So thoughts is he coming back for his senior year or is he going Pro.

As has been discussed at length, he will go into the draft process to get evaluated. I’m guessing he doesn’t get a round 1 grade and comes back for his senior year.

Selfishly I would like to see him back. But I want Amir to make the best choice for Amir.

I could see a team giving him a first round promise. A team that really falls in love with him. That being said, with that jumper, I dont know which team that would be. With his low release, and his lack of range, its going to be an uphill battle for him to be an NBA player. But it just takes one team.

I think he's back for his senior year.

Selfishly I would like to see him back. But I want Amir to make the best choice for Amir.

Objectively, I don't think leaving early to be a second round pick is what's best for him. I think if he comes back with even a slightly improved outside shot and proves he can be a big time scorer for a full season, then he will have a much, much better chance at being a first round pick.

As mentioned in a previous thread, last year there were 236 early entries.

Coffey (and Oturu) are obviously better than at least 200 of them. Kids make stupid choices all the time so I hold my breath on any player that is an average player or better.

As mentioned in a previous thread, last year there were 236 early entries.

Coffey (and Oturu) are obviously better than at least 200 of them. Kids make stupid choices all the time so I hold my breath on any player that is an average player or better.

Not sure where you're getting that from. Coffey wasn't even the best player on the court last night (Winston, and arguably Murphy and/or others). Coffey is really, really good, and should be the star of the team next year. But he needs to improve his handle and passing to be a top-tier pick. That said, who knows.

One more year, and being more consistent will help him raise his stock, as of now, I just don't see him getting drafted unless the Wolves feel obligated like they did with Rick Rickert.

One more year, and being more consistent will help him raise his stock, as of now, I just don't see him getting drafted unless the Wolves feel obligated like they did with Rick Rickert.

Next year's draft will include freshmen and HS Seniors so he may want to attempt this year.

I think he's gone. That's my personal opinion with nothing to back it up. But its dangerous to go without being a first round pick. 2nd rounders don't get guaranteed contracts.

Next year's draft will include freshmen and HS Seniors so he may want to attempt this year.

yup... we've also seen instances where a player comes back and shows no real improvement, which ultimately hurts their draft stock. if Coffey is given a second round grade he should really consider it.. if he elects to stay he me say see 5-10 high school seniors next year opt for the draft and push him out of the 2nd round

First rd picks are guaranteed to get a guaranteed contract. Big difference

I was responding to a direct statement that claimed 2nd round picks don't get guaranteed contracts... I understand the difference in terms of financial stability. I also understand that if Coffey comes back there is no guarantee he becomes a 1st round pick, let alone keeps that 2nd-round projection if he were to get one this year

This year includes freshman and high school seniors. What’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where you're getting that from. Coffey wasn't even the best player on the court last night (Winston, and arguably Murphy and/or others). Coffey is really, really good, and should be the star of the team next year. But he needs to improve his handle and passing to be a top-tier pick. That said, who knows.

Improve shooting more than anything. If you can’t consistently hit an open jumper in the NBA you rarely play.

The last 7 or 8 games it seemed Coffey had more aggression. Almost like he had figured something out.

Improve shooting more than anything. If you can’t consistently hit an open jumper in the NBA you rarely play.

True, but if you sit on the end of the bench in the NBA, you are a millionaire. Have you seen some of the schit on the end of the wolves bench?

I'd be very worried that Coffey is gone.

He should declare without an agent. I don't think he will be told he will be drafted, but if he will be, he should definitely say in.

Cannot imagine Coffey being a first rounder. If not, most likely has to choose between beginning a career overseas or come back for his senior season and elevate his stock. Seems like most in that situation over the years choose to come back.

Cannot imagine Coffey being a first rounder. If not, most likely has to choose between beginning a career overseas or come back for his senior season and elevate his stock. Seems like most in that situation over the years choose to come back.

This is a unique situation considering two drafts from now high school players will be eligible for the draft. If Coffey foregoes this one, he may be on the outside looking in as we can expect around 5 high schools to opt for the draft

This is a unique situation considering two drafts from now high school players will be eligible for the draft. If Coffey foregoes this one, he may be on the outside looking in as we can expect around 5 high schools to opt for the draft

Still would think he would have a better chance at first round next season. Spend all offseason working on shot and handles.

I think he'll have a monster year next year if we get some good PG play. Which is why I think he'll raise his stock. I seriously think by him having to worry about being a PG probably wasn't to his advantage. Yes, I know that's what his dad wants, but let's face it, his handles are not good enough to be a real PG. I just think he should concentrate on scoring and not ball handling.

Honestly, given the uncertainty of this roster I would go if I were him. How much can he really raise his stock next year? Best case scenario he ends up a G league project which he already is now. Go get paid. Even if he doesn't make it in America, there is a lucrative career awaiting him around the world.

Last edited:

I think Coffey improved his status in the B1G and NCAA tourneys. It will be a tough decision if he gets a good response from the NBA teams. I truly think he will improve with another year, but adding a dozen or so flashy, young players could drop his ranking. NBA teams fall in love with potential that hasn’t yet been proven. Remember how Rodney Willams was rated as a early first round pick based upon his athletic ability, but that changed after a few years of playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get paid and get better coaching next year. Seems like a no-brainer.

I think he'll have a monster year next year if we get some good PG play. Which is why I think he'll raise his stock. I seriously think by him having to worry about being a PG probably wasn't to his advantage. Yes, I know that's what his dad wants, but let's face it, his handles are not good enough to be a real PG. I just think he should concentrate on scoring and not ball handling.

After having that experience at point with being doubled off ball screens, he could now be deadly on the wing.

It’s funny and MSU fan friend of mine said that Coffey was the best player on the court last night, but as we saw he didn’t have much support. He had to force some things last night but I think he would be a star for Michigan, Purdue or Michigan State too.

It’s funny and MSU fan friend of mine said that Coffey was the best player on the court last night, but as we saw he didn’t have much support. He had to force some things last night but I think he would be a star for Michigan, Purdue or Michigan State too.

He would not have played his position at any of those three places and at two of them would have been required to be a lockdown defender which he should be. He could really feed his offense from his defense because he loves to get downhill.

Top Bottom