Recruiting/Transfer news.

Minnesota would be a perfect situation for Matthew. I doubt it happens but maybe developments in recent months have changed things (Minnesota making a little run and Kansas appearing to be in some trouble) . The roster we have is just custom made to fit him. As a stretch 4 - he would be an amazing fit with Oturu, Coffey, Carr and Kalscheur. He'd play with his brother and be a hometown hero on a team that would instantly become a upper tier Big Ten team. He would have a chance to showcase his talents for the NBA yet there would be plenty of other scoring threats to keep teams from isolating on him.

It sounds like a good fit. And if youre good, NBA will find you. Look at Jamont.

But its tough to know whats going through an 18 year olds head. What we have with Oturu loving the Gophers, his hometown team, has become a rarity. I know we all love the Gophers, but they have been so inept since the final four that they have fallen off the radar of the general public. We need to go on a few good runs and get young kids wanting to grow up to be Gophers

The Hurts almost certainly strongly disagree, otherwise they'd be seriously considering the U.

This is exceptionally cynical, but it has been known to happen that what is the best situation for the kid is not always the best situation for other people in the kid's life, and sometimes the kid is influenced into making a decision that benefits others more than himself.

What about the concept that he wants to play for what he thinks is a vastly better coach at one of the best schools on the planet with a huge brand, a great chance at a final 4, a climate he enjoys more ? These kids grew up with way more exposure to elite programs, coaches, camps and travel. Once in awhile we get a kid that this is his dream school but most kids from any state take the best offer from from the best coach.

Regarding transfers:

Strong is leaving Navy. No idea where he’s heading but if returns home perhaps walks on with the gophers?

Derrick Smits, Rik’s kid, is a grad transfer out of Valparaiso. One article suggested Arizona as a possible suitor.

What about the concept that he wants to play for what he thinks is a vastly better coach at one of the best schools on the planet with a huge brand, a great chance at a final 4, a climate he enjoys more ? These kids grew up with way more exposure to elite programs, coaches, camps and travel. Once in awhile we get a kid that this is his dream school but most kids from any state take the best offer from from the best coach.

If he is as good as advertised, I think his signing makes next year's team have potential to compete to get to the Final Four. I don't think playing for a "huge brand" increases your draft position. Are you saying he will get money under the table? I think that playing for the Gophers gives him as big of a shot or better at standing out as playing at Duke where he is going to be playing with other Frosh 5 stars. We are not talking about Zion Williamson here. If he is going for climate - so be it. If I were a guy in his position, it would be more attractive to me to be the guy who built something than to be just another guy. But that's just me. Maybe Hurt isn't that way. Probably not, but we'll see.

By the way, if he were to sign tomorrow with Pitino (I know he won't) I would be willing to bet that a few other outstanding recruits would follow suit and we would have a very strong roster.

Bottom line: I think this would be a great situation for him, but I won't blame him for going somewhere else for whatever reason he has to do so (unless it is under the counter money).

How'd that work out for Nick Horvath and Adam Boone?

I saw the KARE 11 clip of Matthew Hurt talking about his final schools. Clearly Minnesota is there only to hold off the negative response from his neighbors when he goes elsewhere.
Moreso, Hurt came off as a Kris Humphreys clone as far as his attitude. He may be a nice one-and-done for the blue bloods, but he could be a massive prick as well. I'm not sure Minnesota needs that distraction.

I wonder if dad thinks Richard wrecked his older son. I bet I know the answer to that.

SAD Life for you!

HAPPY life for us knowing you have to squirm, cry, whine, troll for at least another 12 months!!!!

If he is as good as advertised, I think his signing makes next year's team have potential to compete to get to the Final Four. I don't think playing for a "huge brand" increases your draft position. Are you saying he will get money under the table? I think that playing for the Gophers gives him as big of a shot or better at standing out as playing at Duke where he is going to be playing with other Frosh 5 stars. We are not talking about Zion Williamson here. If he is going for climate - so be it. If I were a guy in his position, it would be more attractive to me to be the guy who built something than to be just another guy. But that's just me. Maybe Hurt isn't that way. Probably not, but we'll see.

By the way, if he were to sign tomorrow with Pitino (I know he won't) I would be willing to bet that a few other outstanding recruits would follow suit and we would have a very strong roster.

Bottom line: I think this would be a great situation for him, but I won't blame him for going somewhere else for whatever reason he has to do so (unless it is under the counter money).

Don't think that is just you. Many people in that situation would pick going to a place to be the one to build something special, but the 17 - 20 year old group for the most part is not that way.

SAD Life for you!

HAPPY life for us knowing you have to squirm, cry, whine, troll for at least another 12 months!!!!

WriterGoph........in a day or so I will be done posting here until next year.

You'll have to find another date.

WriterGoph........in a day or so I will be done posting here until next year.

You'll have to find another date.

Well, yeah...obviously. If you don't have games to troll after, what is your existence on the board?

For your sake, let's hope recruiting and transfers go badly though, right?

I saw the KARE 11 clip of Matthew Hurt talking about his final schools. Clearly Minnesota is there only to hold off the negative response from his neighbors when he goes elsewhere.
Moreso, Hurt came off as a Kris Humphreys clone as far as his attitude. He may be a nice one-and-done for the blue bloods, but he could be a massive prick as well. I'm not sure Minnesota needs that distraction.

Yikes

Don't know why the Gophers should want him. He would have to sit out and, if Washington really does stay, he's superfluous.

Yeah certainly didn't mean to say we'd be interested in him as a transfer. Just interesting because we did want him out of high school.

I didn't see that.

I thought he sounded good and talked well.

I will guarantee you that the Hurt kids are not pricks. I know a couple of people down in Rochester and they have nothing but good things to say about both of them.

Would you say that if a Kris Humphries article wasn't posted yesterday? The program could use as much attention as it could get and I'm not sure there would be much negative if Hurt did come.

I didn't see that.

I thought he sounded good and talked well.

I will guarantee you that the Hurt kids are not pricks. I know a couple of people down in Rochester and they have nothing but good things to say about both of them.

My wife is from Rochester, went to John Marshall with the Hurts' dad, and she has nothing but good things to say about the Hurt family, Grandpa (Dr.) Hurt included. Says they've always been very down to earth people.

He would be picking a far better coach, a far better program and a far better chance at a final 4. The branding there can be a better shoe and apparel deal if he is special. That is a changed landscape and no denying that Duke has a very wider attraction all over.

My wife is from Rochester, went to John Marshall with the Hurts' dad, and she has nothing but good things to say about the Hurt family, Grandpa (Dr.) Hurt included. Says they've always been very down to earth people.

In the end it probably has almost no effect, but some of the things that get posted here about Gopher players and recruits certainly don't attract people to the U. And don't give me the "It's a big time program; they better deal with it," or "Well, you should see some other boards."

How'd that work out for Nick Horvath and Adam Boone?

Really can not compare the three players. Hurt is on a different planet than those two and the Duke machine is far larger and more connected IN THE SHOE AND APPAREL business.

Regarding transfers:

Strong is leaving Navy. No idea where he’s heading but if returns home perhaps walks on with the gophers?

Derrick Smits, Rik’s kid, is a grad transfer out of Valparaiso. One article suggested Arizona as a possible suitor.

Yeah, Smits would be a good get. I doubt we would get him but we should at least try. He said he wanted to go to a bigger stage with higher level competition. Minnesota definitely fits the bill but he probably could aim higher.

Not a big selection of grad transfers centers and power forwards listed yet but there are a few fair ones already available that I think we could get. The numbers could double before the announcements are done.

Another kid I like on Verbal commits

Jalone Friday of Abilene Christian. 6-9, 250 pound center, averaged over 13 PPG his last 3 years, also shot over 37% from 3 last year so he can stretch the floor. Immediately eligible

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4067623/jalone-friday

Kind of fun. Like checking an auction sale to see what gems you can find.

I would bet Pitino and his staff was aware of how the recruiting climate would open up this spring and he didn’t want to fill his roster to early with “good enough” players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you say that if a Kris Humphries article wasn't posted yesterday? The program could use as much attention as it could get and I'm not sure there would be much negative if Hurt did come.
The article helped so that there is a comparable reference. UMN sucked when Humphries came. It was all about himself. I have no desire for Hurt to be here if the game is all about him and not about Minnesota.

Another kid I like on Verbal commits

Jalone Friday of Abilene Christian. 6-9, 250 pound center, averaged over 13 PPG his last 3 years, also shot over 37% from 3 last year so he can stretch the floor. Immediately eligible

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4067623/jalone-friday

If you noticed, he put up those numbers while averaging only 22 minutes per game. Pretty productive. PER of 22.2. Can you imagine a starter on this team playing only 22 minutes per game?

He only played 23 games, though. Maybe was hurt?

Really can not compare the three players. Hurt is on a different planet than those two and the Duke machine is far larger and more connected IN THE SHOE AND APPAREL business.

All about the $$$. You have been clear. $$$$$.

K is as above board as Calipari and the UConn coaching “legend”.

That might be a reason not to come to Mn. Eh built?

The hot prospect will be Daniel Utomi of Akron. Also Petty of Alabama.

Top Bottom