With 6 years completed in the Pitino era, the program is?...

• The program is better than I expected.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • The program is about where I expected.

Votes: 52 46.0%
  • The program is worse than I expected.

Votes: 54 47.8%
  • Other (list)

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A question mark?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Definitely worse than expected after 6 years. We fired the last coach for having a comparable record to what Pitino has.

That said, I think he will and probably should be extended based on the success we’ve shown the last month. I just don’t have confidence or see a path where the next few years will be an improvement.

Is no better than when he got here, in fact it’s probably worse. And it should be a lot better. The U athletic department is on a high with the new facilities in place and an exciting football coach. Kids should want to come here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worse Big Ten record, worse overall record, and less tournament appearances than the coach he replaced, over the exact same time frame, 6 years. We have great new facilities with a real AD and an exciting football program. We’re ready for a legit b-ball coach.

Definitely worse than expected after 6 years. We fired the last coach for having a comparable record to what Pitino has.

That said, I think he will and probably should be extended based on the success we’ve shown the last month. I just don’t have confidence or see a path where the next few years will be an improvement.

When will you ever understand that it wasn't Tubby's record that got him fired? The new "hot shot" AD wanted to pick his own guy.

From a basketball perspective, higher highs and lower lows than anything we’ve had since 97.

I’m looking forward to what Pitino can do in spring recruiting and into next year. It’s crazy to realize that we didn’t even know who Murphy was 4 years ago (he was still signed with VCU!) and now he’s one of the greatest gophers of all time. Short-cycle recruiting is what Pitino does best.

When will you ever understand that it wasn't Tubby's record that got him fired? The new "hot shot" AD wanted to pick his own guy.

I would sure rather have our current AD hire our basketball coach versus that “hot shot” AD.

Pitino should and will get another year for sure. I think he is already signed through 2022 so I don't think I would extend him anymore than that. If Coffey stays and is healthy next year, we should be decent. Let's see who he gets this spring and in next years very good state class with 4 players in the top 75. Kevin Lynch said last night that the rumblings he's hearing about the 9th grade class is that it is very strong too. We have to become a program where these top Minnesota kids want to stay home and play for the Gophers, unless the last 6 seasons meet your expectations.

Pitino should and will get another year for sure. I think he is already signed through 2022 so I don't think I would extend him anymore than that. If Coffey stays and is healthy next year, we should be decent. Let's see who he gets this spring and in next years very good state class with 4 players in the top 75. Kevin Lynch said last night that the rumblings he's hearing about the 9th grade class is that it is very strong too. We have to become a program where these top Minnesota kids want to stay home and play for the Gophers, unless the last 6 seasons meet your expectations.

If Coffey comes back we should be decent.

Oh joy!

To some extent, it depends in if we are evaluating the first six years, or year six alone. I considered whole tenure and I said worse. I definitely expected us, six years in, to have won more than forty percent of our big ten games, been to more than two tournaments, won more than one tournament game, and not have failed to qualify for even NIT three times.

If we look at just year six, it is probably close to where I expected. A disappointing regular season, followed by a modest BTT run and a tournament win.

Frankly, he has a fireable six year record. But, even though overall results have been poor for six years, and it is disappointing that this was the best year, this still was the best year, so I think it would be stupid to not at least wait to see where the ceiling is. I'm never downtown fire a coach after his best year here, unless it is for non-sport reasons or the last year is a truly terrible year and only the best because the others were even worse.

He needs to add a couple of quality bigs in the next month or they could be back to the disaster they were last year, as it stands they have Oturu, Omersa, and a very questionable Curry.

So Tubby was really successful here and only fired because Norwood wanted his guy?

THANK YOU!!

I tried to explain this to someone else. It’s spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This would have been 3 straight NCAA appearances for the Gophs without the mishap of Lynch last year and the multiple injuries. I would say that is much better than anything we have seen in the last 20 years.

By the way, he needs to be extended through 2024...if not, how do you instill confidence to the 2020 recruiting class.

Also, change the structure a little bit to give him a larger bonus when we make the NCAA and win the BIG rather than raising salary.

Is no better than when he got here, in fact it’s probably worse. And it should be a lot better. The U athletic department is on a high with the new facilities in place and an exciting football coach. Kids should want to come here.

Disagree,

I'm more optimistic about the future of our program now then I was 6 years ago with Tubby. Both are coming off a win in the first round of the tourney but this team returns Coffey, Oturu, Gabe and Carr. I'd say that's a more talented and younger core returning than what Tubby was suppose to have with Andre, Austin and Joe Coleman. Pitino is also bringing in a top 150 guard in Williams, potentially two with Sherfield and still will have 2-4 more scholarships for grad transfers and other guys. Tubby had two guys that weren't in the top 200 and no open scholarships for grad transfers. And Pitno has gone 3 straight years of bringing in a composite top 60 recruit in with Coffey, Washington and Oturu whereas Tubby started hot but tailed off on the recruiting trail later.

This would have been 3 straight NCAA appearances for the Gophs without the mishap of Lynch last year and the multiple injuries. I would say that is much better than anything we have seen in the last 20 years.

Agree and if we can get a decent grad transfer and Coffey comes back, no reason why we shouldn't be able to go next year baring injury.

Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you
Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do.

Gopher Basketball in a nutshell.

Disagree. The last coach was fired because he no longer displayed the passion or emotion to be the head coach, and his recruiting was slipping into the abyss. Neither of these is true with Pitino at this point, given last year's class. And Pitino displays plenty of passion. We'll see how recruiting goes to finish up this year and into next.

Disagree,

I'm more optimistic about the future of our program now then I was 6 years ago with Tubby. Both are coming off a win in the first round of the tourney but this team returns Coffey, Oturu, Gabe and Carr. I'd say that's a more talented and younger core returning than what Tubby was suppose to have with Andre, Austin and Joe Coleman. Pitino is also bringing in a top 150 guard in Williams, potentially two with Sherfield and still will have 2-4 more scholarships for grad transfers and other guys. Tubby had two guys that weren't in the top 200 and no open scholarships for grad transfers. And Pitno has gone 3 straight years of bringing in a composite top 60 recruit in with Coffey, Washington and Oturu whereas Tubby started hot but tailed off on the recruiting trail later.

Agreed. Plus I like what I saw from omersa late

He was 30 years old when he started here. He replaced a guy who won a national title at some point in his career... some of your expectations are unreasonable... I voted that "The program is about where I expected." Two NCAA tournament appearances in three years and we have two freshman in Kalscheur and Oturu who will help the program maintain top-32 level.

Last edited:

To some extent, it depends in if we are evaluating the first six years, or year six alone. I considered whole tenure and I said worse. I definitely expected us, six years in, to have won more than forty percent of our big ten games, been to more than two tournaments, won more than one tournament game, and not have failed to qualify for even NIT three times.

If we look at just year six, it is probably close to where I expected. A disappointing regular season, followed by a modest BTT run and a tournament win.

Frankly, he has a fireable six year record. But, even though overall results have been poor for six years, and it is disappointing that this was the best year, this still was the best year, so I think it would be stupid to not at least wait to see where the ceiling is. I'm never downtown fire a coach after his best year here, unless it is for non-sport reasons or the last year is a truly terrible year and only the best because the others were even worse.

Are you excited and optimistic about the future of the program? Do you think they’re are better quality coaches out there that would like to coach here?

Disagree. The last coach was fired because he no longer displayed the passion or emotion to be the head coach, and his recruiting was slipping into the abyss. Neither of these is true with Pitino at this point, given last year's class. And Pitino displays plenty of passion. We'll see how recruiting goes to finish up this year and into next.

What does displaying passion have to do with anything? Tim Brewster displayed far more passion than Bill Belicheck ever has.

I think Pitino will still be the coach and probably should be. I think his ceiling is about.500 in the B1G and making it to the round of 32. If those are the expectations, then we’re set up well for the next 10 years. I am hoping for something more.

Disagree,

I agree there is more potential now than at the end of Tubby’s 6th year which is why I support bringing Pitino back. I don’t have great confidence that we are going to get multiple impact recruits this spring, which we desperately need for next year’s roster.

Top Bottom