Isaiah Washington says he will “definitely” be back next year.

No seriously, Are you mentally going to be OK. You are kind of making me nervous... like you are going to have a complete FUD meltdown

I am sure Glad Goldteam doesn't make the decisions on who goes or stays.

his takes are ...well.....not good.

If Eric Harris can develop a reliable jump shot, anybody can develop a reliable jump shot. The guy needs a development plan, though. There needs to be a plan.

If Eric Harris can develop a reliable jump shot, anybody can develop a reliable jump shot. The guy needs a development plan, though. There needs to be a plan.

Eric Harris is a great example. He was god awful as a freshman to a good shooter by his senior year. The jump from sophomore year to junior year was huge.

That being said, Harris' outstanding defense would have kept him on the court even if his jumper didnt develop. But still, good example

How do you know there is not one? These guys have work out regimes and plans that are created for them specifically. NCAA D1 programs control a ton of what these kids do (workouts, schedule, diet). I guarantee you, IW shoots a ton of baskets, but shooting with no defense doesn't just make you good.

Eric Harris is a great example. He was god awful as a freshman to a good shooter by his senior year. The jump from sophomore year to junior year was huge.

That being said, Harris' outstanding defense would have kept him on the court even if his jumper didnt develop. But still, good example

With Washington I expected a bigger jump from last year to this year, and it didn't happen. That's caused me to wonder if he's just not serious minded enough to take this seriously. Part of me speculates that Pitino's treatment of him has been designed to shock him into doing something, specifically either shaping up or shipping out. I agree with those who say that, if we'd only played him more, he'd have been able to make a bigger contribution by the end of the year, but Richard might be thinking more long term toward what could be very good junior and senior seasons if the guy could just get his mind right.

With Washington I expected a bigger jump from last year to this year, and it didn't happen. That's caused me to wonder if he's just not serious minded enough to take this seriously. Part of me speculates that Pitino's treatment of him has been designed to shock him into doing something, specifically either shaping up or shipping out. I agree with those who say that, if we'd only played him more, he'd have been able to make a bigger contribution by the end of the year, but Richard might be thinking more long term toward what could be very good junior and senior seasons if the guy could just get his mind right.

Agreed.

And I've been under the assumption that Carr would be starting PG, and Washington wouldnt want to be his backup, so he would leave.

Pitino might have a plan to have Carr play some 2 and have IW play along side him at the 1.

I think a better example is Aaron Robinson. Arob played very little his first three years and was an outstanding point guard his senior year. Became a great defender, a good shooter, and a capable on floor leader. He was also small. Eric had a leg up on IW with his size and strength, and as you mention, he earned his court time on defense his first two years. I hope IW sticks around. I think he has great potential despite obvious limitations. I also think it will do him well in life to persevere through a situation that didn't go exactly as he expected.

I totally agree. Pitino takes it seriously in developing players. Pitino has mentioned on numerous occasions that the players earn their playing time in practice and that IW had a few body language (read attitude) issues to clean up. You can see that his shot selection has gotten much better later in the year. I fist pumped when his three pointer went in against MSU. Obviously, IW is buying into Pitino's plan for him or he would be gone. Pitino did restrict his bench too much at the end of the year, but he was under a lot of pressure. Don't assume that Carr will be out IW for the PG spot.

Excellent post. Totally agree.
Me too. The interview makes me think there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes than any of us know. I like that Pitino keeps a lid on it instead of fueling the speculation with any comments. He seems to understand that no matter what he says, it will be twisted by critics and only serve to hurt the process. If I’m right about this, I am impressed at Pitino’s recognition of this.

=1

+1 I want him back. If he can harness his talents, he could be amazing.

I am sure Glad Goldteam doesn't make the decisions on who goes or stays.

his takes are ...well.....not good.
Second. Despite not playing in how long?....IW came into the game cold on Saturday and absolutely looked like he belongs. He was clearly benched because of the poor defense and the go down the court and toss up a shot type of play. That's what he was used to in NY....the street style off play that doesn't translate to the college game. Could be the reason why Pitino shelved him for the year if he continued to do these things despite being told not to. He was on a short leash already considering how he'd be yanked the second he'd make a bonehead play.

I'm glad he'll be back....because his ceiling is high....and PG depth is something that we will need next year. Now if only we could find a front court player who's immediately available to play next year....I'd feel pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Was just going to add, it appears that players are clearly not used to playing with him because he also threw some gems of passes that just went right by guys who weren't ready (Omersa for example). He has a vision that no one else on the team has. hopefully he can put in the work to overcome his deficiencies and be a contributor for us next year

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Changed his mind:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gotta say, with the 4-star rating and all the hype about his game (much of it self-generated, of course) when he signed, IW may be the biggest Gophers disappointment in my 30+ years as a fan. I wish him well, but I also wish he could've developed his considerable potential with us.

Gotta say, with the 4-star rating and all the hype about his game (much of it self-generated, of course) when he signed, IW may be the biggest Gophers disappointment in my 30+ years as a fan. I wish him well, but I also wish he could've developed his considerable potential with us.

Fair enough, but there is always risk in a really undersized guard. I always thought the hype was too much for someone we never saw on the court. I thought, though, and I still do, that he can be a quality D-1 point guard if he puts his mind to it. At the beginning of the year, I thought he should have been given the keys, but obviously there was something behind the scenes that prevented it.

I wish him well, and I think he will do well, most likely at a smaller east coast school. Biggest issue for me is we have buried ourselves for NYC recruiting for a generation. He was revered there and his lack of success here will keep us out of NYC players homes for a long time.

Pretty classy response. Also prepped for a play immediately waiver with family health concerns. My guess is the U won't object.

I think he could be really tough at a mid-major or in a weaker conference.

Has to be some teams in the New York area who'd welcome him, especially with the family waiver being a real possibility (from what he said)

I think he could be really tough at a mid-major or in a weaker conference.

Has to be some teams in the New York area who'd welcome him, especially with the family waiver being a real possibility (from what he said)

Resurrect Fordham? That would be awesome!

I’ll roll with Canisius for Jelly.

Best of luck wherever he lands.

Changed his mind:

Wait...what? When he said he’d definitely be back next year, did he mean he’d be back somewhere else :confused:

Wait...what? When he said he’d definitely be back next year, did he mean he’d be back somewhere else :confused:

He was put on the spot and wasn't ready to make an announcement. What else was he going to say?

Fair enough, but there is always risk in a really undersized guard. I always thought the hype was too much for someone we never saw on the court. I thought, though, and I still do, that he can be a quality D-1 point guard if he puts his mind to it. At the beginning of the year, I thought he should have been given the keys, but obviously there was something behind the scenes that prevented it.

I wish him well, and I think he will do well, most likely at a smaller east coast school. Biggest issue for me is we have buried ourselves for NYC recruiting for a generation. He was revered there and his lack of success here will keep us out of NYC players homes for a long time.

Kimini young was our NY connection for recruiting - he’s gone - our new assistants are Midwest based and most of the recruits are also - nowadays you have to build a relationship with the recruit and show up/ talk to them on a continuing basis.

At the moment he was still officially coming back.

What is the point of even going there? What would you have said if you were in his shoes and were a classy young man?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom