What grade would you give the 2018-2019 Gophers basketball season?

What grade would you give the 2018-2019 Gophers basketball season?

• A

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • B

Votes: 92 70.8%
  • C

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Not to mention we were about 2 games away from Pitino getting fired. If we don’t beat Purdue at home and/or Penn St in the the BTT, we probably don’t even make the tourney and are discussing who the next coach will be right now. But somehow people think this year was better than a B?

Not to mention we were about 2 games away from Pitino getting fired. If we don’t beat Purdue at home and/or Penn St in the the BTT, we probably don’t even make the tourney and are discussing who the next coach will be right now. But somehow people think this year was better than a B?

Its all in how you frame it up. If you go back to recognized seasons since 1970 this has to rank pretty high on the list. If you compare the Gophs to MSU or Wisky for the last 20 years and this is a salvaged, but somewhat dissapointing, year.

Solid B. This team was almost always fun to watch, and that's what matters. When I sit down, I want to see a good game ... and I'm willing to accept the fact that sometimes I'll be disappointed with the result, and sometimes I'll be thrilled.

There were two B1G games that got away from us (or we got jobbed out of, depending on how you look at it.) If those go the other way, we finish sixth in the conference, and are better positioned going into the B1G tourney, which may in turn have helped our NCAA seeding. As far as I'm concerned, that how close we were to a great big A of a season.

Finish in the top half of the conference and win a NCAA tournament game, and there are about 300 teams that would love to switch places with you.

JTG

I can’t believe how low some fans expectations are. This was supposed to be “the year” that we made a significant move. 9-11 in the B1G and 1 NCAA tournament win now constitutes a B or better? Hopefully at some point in my life a season like this will be a D. For right now it’s a C/C+.

You have high expectations so you are a better fan than me, probably a better person than me.

I can’t believe how low some fans expectations are. This was supposed to be “the year” that we made a significant move. 9-11 in the B1G and 1 NCAA tournament win now constitutes a B or better? Hopefully at some point in my life a season like this will be a D. For right now it’s a C/C+.

Before the season started, I'd say most on here expected this team to make the tournament but with a first round exit. Others didn't expect us to make it at all. I don't think many on here expected this to be "the year." That was last year before the Lynch situation when we were a top 15 team. This year was more about getting back to baseline.

Before the season started, I'd say most on here expected this team to make the tournament but with a first round exit. Others didn't expect us to make it at all. I don't think many on here expected this to be "the year." That was last year before the Lynch situation when we were a top 15 team. This year was more about getting back to baseline.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota is a mediocre team and played to its level. The standard of average is a C and that is exactly what this team did. It matched average this season.

B+
Gophers were picked about 10th in most preseason Big ten rankings. I realistically thought we'd be 8th if the season went well. With Matz, Curry, Mcbrayer's Mom, we still finished 7th, were a lock for the ncaa tournament and won an ncaa tournament game. Next year we should be better even without Murph and Dupree.

For you guys who said c, what would’ve gotten an A? Final four? Big ten championship. Honestly curious.

I was one that said C. It would actually be more like C+ or B- for me.

It's hard to forget how badly they looked in so many games. I get that a 20 point loss is no worse than a 1 point loss in their record. There were just a lot of very disappointing moments along the way. They showed against Purdue and Louisville how good they can be. That makes some of those horrible games (Boston College, Illinois, etc) seem even worse to me. The end of the season was a lot of fun though so I'm probably being a little too critical.

B+
Gophers were picked about 10th in most preseason Big ten rankings. I realistically thought we'd be 8th if the season went well. With Matz, Curry, Mcbrayer's Mom, we still finished 7th, were a lock for the ncaa tournament and won an ncaa tournament game. Next year we should be better even without Murph and Dupree.
The better next year is contingent upon grad transfers or new spring recruits. At present...we won't be better next year. Too many gaping holes and lack of depth.

I was one that said C. It would actually be more like C+ or B- for me.

It's hard to forget how badly they looked in so many games. I get that a 20 point loss is no worse than a 1 point loss in their record. There were just a lot of very disappointing moments along the way. They showed against Purdue and Louisville how good they can be. That makes some of those horrible games (Boston College, Illinois, etc) seem even worse to me. The end of the season was a lot of fun though so I'm probably being a little too critical.

im in line with this guy. After how disappointing last season was, i think most on here were skeptical.

Of course, that is pure speculation on your part unless you are a confidant of Mark Coyle. I think the assumptions on this board that morph into accepted fact distort almost everything about the program.

I voted B, because there is no evidence of A. I could range from B+ to B-. There are a pile of variables. Going into this season if I was told that we would get virtually nothing from Curry, and lower than expectations from McBrayer and that we would make it to Saturday in the B1G Tournament and win an NCAA game, I would take it in a heart beat. If you would have told me they would be a get well game and confidence builder for an 0-7 team, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Boston College, I would have been pissed off. If you would have told me that Gabe and Daniel would play pivotal roles on a winning team, I would have been grateful. All of them happened and in the overall scheme of things, I think they exceeded expectations.

Not much has been said about the assistant coaching transitions. I don't know enough about the execution of the game to comment insightfully on them, but one has to think that two major staffing changes had to have had an effect on the season. People on the board who know more say the coaching and the strategy have been better and it likely took a while for some of that to settle in, which can contribute to why they played much better the last few weeks of the season than earlier.

I would feel much better about the future if we had a solid recruiting class already signed but we don't. But there is still time, and the recruiting game has changed enough that spring recruiting doesn't have to be desperation.

The B is realistic for now if not optimistic about the immediate future.

Of course, that is pure speculation on your part unless you are a confidant of Mark Coyle. I think the assumptions on this board that morph into accepted fact distort almost everything about the program.

I voted B, because there is no evidence of A. I could range from B+ to B-. There are a pile of variables. Going into this season if I was told that we would get virtually nothing from Curry, and lower than expectations from McBrayer and that we would make it to Saturday in the B1G Tournament and win an NCAA game, I would take it in a heart beat. If you would have told me they would be a get well game and confidence builder for an 0-7 team, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Boston College, I would have been pissed off. If you would have told me that Gabe and Daniel would play pivotal roles on a winning team, I would have been grateful. All of them happened and in the overall scheme of things, I think they exceeded expectations.

Not much has been said about the assistant coaching transitions. I don't know enough about the execution of the game to comment insightfully on them, but one has to think that two major staffing changes had to have had an effect on the season. People on the board who know more say the coaching and the strategy have been better and it likely took a while for some of that to settle in, which can contribute to why they played much better the last few weeks of the season than earlier.

I would feel much better about the future if we had a solid recruiting class already signed but we don't. But there is still time, and the recruiting game has changed enough that spring recruiting doesn't have to be desperation.

The B is realistic for now if not optimistic about the immediate future.

Well said. The performances in Chicago & Des Moines (even though they ended in 2 routs), I'd go B+.

Going 2-7 in Big 10 Road games is a negative, but 1 of the wins was in Madison. That needs to improve going forward. Compensated by going 7-2 on Neutral Courts. Good deal.

Last edited:

Did you know that we were 2 big wins against MSU and Michigan from getting a top 6 seed? Who cares if he was 2 games away, they won, and it doesn't matter now. Seasons can turn around in a short time. That's saying what if for like 10% of their wins.

For you guys who said c, what would’ve gotten an A? Final four? Big ten championship. Honestly curious.

I said C.

Some things that could’ve raised the grade:
The appearance of managing the Washington situation well.
Being competitive @Illinois
Not canceling out our best road win by losing to Wisconsin at home.
Being competitive at Boston college
Being competitive at Ohio state
BEating either rutger or Nebraska on the road.

Very little changes could make me feel very differently about the team.

Projected to finish worse than we did. Beat division champ twice beat Wisconsin won a tournament game. B even though I thought we could have been better putting the best team on the floor.

Top Bottom