What grade would you give the 2018-2019 Gophers basketball season?

• A

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • B

Votes: 92 70.8%
  • C

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Give it a B given the expectations coming into this season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A. Given what happened this season, this is the best we could’ve possibly expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it November yet?

Given the talent on the roster? A. Hard to go much further with a team of 5-6. Unlucky that Murphy had to go out like that.

Pitino has to have responsibility for our lack of depth, so I’ll say this season was a B+ because it’s disappointing that we didn’t have any depth in year 6. Still very happy that we had a really fun March.

A. Given what happened this season, this is the best we could’ve possibly expected.

What do you mean by “given what happened?”. Just curious. Outside of Curry’s injuries, this was a really healthy and relatively drama free year.

Given the talent on the roster? A. Hard to go much further with a team of 5-6. Unlucky that Murphy had to go out like that.

Pitino has to have responsibility for our lack of depth, so I’ll say this season was a B+ because it’s disappointing that we didn’t have any depth in year 6.

+1. My thoughts too. He had some poor games followed by this fun March run, which is honestly what matters.

What do you mean by “given what happened?”. Just curious. Outside of Curry’s injuries, this was a really healthy and relatively drama free year.

Well the curry Murphy and matz injuries meant we had no real chance to get to the sweet sixteen. And my expectation before the season was sweet sixteen if every thing went perfectly.

I gave the team a C. Great run this season. Next season...the team is going to be EPIC!! 1st place.

C+/b- but I'm going to miss Murphy

I don't want go six years until we win tournament game again, I can tell you that

A-. I expected to be a bubble team. We were solidly in and won a tournament game we weren't expected to, even with significant injuries.

For you guys who said c, what would’ve gotten an A? Final four? Big ten championship. Honestly curious.

I second jmag.... You guys are cracked!

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

For you guys who said c, what would’ve gotten an A? Final four? Big ten championship. Honestly curious.

I grade on more than NCAA tourney games. A better conference record would have helped as well as a better conference tourney finish.

Those sound like the kind of things that would earn an A.

I went with a B. C- regular season, B BTT and NCAA tournament.

I say C plus. Anytime your under .500, not even in contention for the conference, no conference tourney final . The NCAA win moves it up half a grade.,A conference title earns a A. A final 4 earns a A. A conference tourney title earns a B unless it comes along with a 16-4 regular season in which case that would be a A. 30 wins is a A. A's are for outstanding .

I say C plus. Anytime your under .500, not even in contention for the conference, no conference tourney final . The NCAA win moves it up half a grade.,A conference title earns a A. A final 4 earns a A. A conference tourney title earns a B unless it comes along with a 16-4 regular season in which case that would be a A. 30 wins is a A. A's are for outstanding .

I'm glad you're not a professor. 1-3 Big Ten teams per year get an A? That seems reasonable for a school like MSU with a history of winning and a loaded roster but those standards are unreasonable for the vast majority of teams. The Gophers wouldn't have gotten an A even if everything went right by those standards.

Wow.

a win in the tournament was cool, and that should be the standard from now on out...consistent tournament appearances, and some wins there as well.

The conference season was disappointing though. Along with setting the bar at consistent tournament appearances, I think the Gophers need to be more consistent in the regular season too. Not having to worry about making the tournament until the final few games.

I'm glad you're not a professor. 1-3 Big Ten teams per year get an A? That seems reasonable for a school like MSU with a history of winning and a loaded roster but those standards are unreasonable for the vast majority of teams. The Gophers wouldn't have gotten an A even if everything went right by those standards.

I was asked the question and do not think that 8-10 and 14 losses could possibly be a higher. Who thinks being 6th or 7th place out of 14 teams is somehow better than a C. I was raised and lived to think that only outstanding is a A.

You bring up an interesting methodology question here. Are we giving grades in a school-specific curve, or do we hold all schools to the same standard such that MSU would be an A student most years? For clarification, I went with the former approach.

You bring up an interesting methodology question here. Are we giving grades in a school-specific curve, or do we hold all schools to the same standard such that MSU would be an A student most years? For clarification, I went with the former approach.

Me too. If we’re grading every program against each other then clearly duke and unc are A students, though quite obviously cheating, and the gophers are b- at best. But I’m grading the gophers against where this program has been since 1997 which is why I think it has to be in the A range, unless you care a lot more about big ten regular season than postseason play. If you do, that’s cool, I just don’t understand that much. The big ten season may be a better reflection of the true strength of a team, but this is grading the season, not the team, imo. If a mediocre gopher team lucked their way to the final four because of injuries or suspensions to opponents it would still be exciting for me and I wouldn’t Pooh Pooh it because “we didn’t deserve it.”

I can’t believe how low some fans expectations are. This was supposed to be “the year” that we made a significant move. 9-11 in the B1G and 1 NCAA tournament win now constitutes a B or better? Hopefully at some point in my life a season like this will be a D. For right now it’s a C/C+.

Top Bottom