WNIT Game 2: Gophers visit Cincinnati: (3-24-19)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
QUICK TURNAROUND

Thursday night, homestanding Cincinnati (22-10 (12-4 in the AAC)) defeated Youngtown State 76-62 advancing to host the Golden Gophers Sunday afternoon in the WNIT’s second round. Trailing 17-15 at the end of one, the Bearcats outscored the Penguins (I love the nicknames of Northeast Ohio schools) 20-8 in the second quarter and kept YSU at bay the rest of the way. This was Cincinnati’s first post season win since 2012.

Cincinnati started little used center, I’Layah Green, as part of a plan to contain Penguins center Mary Dunn. It seemed to work as Dunn was held to 10 points and 5 rebounds. Offensively, the Bearcats were led by guard Andeija Pucket who was 7-9 with a career high 16 points. There was a scary moment in the third quarter when Bearcat Senior guard Nikira Goings ran hard into a screen and laid on the court for several minutes. Goings eventually returned; but there could be lingering effects.

Cincinnati head coach, Michelle Clark-Heard, is in her first season. Clark-Heard replaced Jamelle Elliot whose dismissal, you may recall, brought angry protestations from Geno Auriemma. Elliot is now back at UConn working in the AD’s office for David Benedict (remember him?). Meanwhile, Clark-Heard got to face UConn twice this season. The first game against UConn, in Storrs, was a 82-38 Huskie rout. The second game, in Cincinnati, was a UConn 65-55 win. Trailing 38-23 at the half, the Bearcats cut the lead to eight before losing.

Before taking over Cincinnati, Michelle Clark-Heard posted a successful seven year run at Western Kentucky where she won two Sun Belt Conference titles, 4 conference tourney titles and made four NCAA tournament appearances. Previously, she spent 2007-2012 at an assistant to Jeff Walz at Louisville. It is a return to the Queen City for Clark-Heard whom was a Bearcat assistant from 2002-2005 under Laurie Pirtle.

Clark-Heard mixes up her rotation and juggles the starting lineup from time to time. I expect she'll have a plan for Kenisha Bell.

Common Opponents:
Ohio State defeated Cincinnati 69-56 in Columbus; but not before the Bearcats who trailed 41-24 at half and fell behind by 23 in the third mounted a comeback closing within three 59-56.
Like the Gophers, Cincinnati defeated Xavier 79-61. Ilmari Thomas led the Bearcats with a 20 point and 18 rebound effort.

Starters (Conference Stats):

G 5’6” Jr Antoinette Miller (14.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 34.9 minutes/game)
F 6’-0” Jr Angel Rizor (9.9 points, 6.2 rebounds in 31.4 minutes)
G 5’10” Jr Sam Rodgers (7.8 points, 3.9 rebounds in 34.6 minutes)
G 5’7” Jr Florrence Sifa (7.6 points, 3.6 rebounds in 20.8 minutes)
F 5’10” So Ilmari Thomas (14.4 points, 7.1 rebounds in 31.1 minutes)

Others:

C 6’2” So Andeija Puckett (4.4 points, 2.8 minutes in 10.8 minutes)
G 5’8” Sr Nikira Goings (8.2 points, 1.9 rebounds in 23.1 minutes)
F 5’9” Sr Chelsea Warren (.8 points, 1.3 rebounds in 8.4 minutes)
C 6’2” So I’Liyah Green (.7 points, 1.5 rebounds in 6.5 minutes)

Sure looks like Bello ought to be able to go to town.

And this one is a little personal. Antoinette was the twins PG at Lathrup High. Graduated the same year.

Imagine the twins Antoinette and Deja Church lining up against you

Is there any kind of live streaming available. Only saw a listing for the radio.

From the U website:

Next Game:
at University of Cincinnati
3/24/2019 | 2:00 PM
BearcatsTV
96.7 KFAN PLUS

Maybe we can find access to BearcatsTV?

The game is on Bearcats TV. Does anyone know if we can watch the game on Bearcats TV online?

The game is on Bearcats TV. Does anyone know if we can watch the game on Bearcats TV online?

I watched their game against Youngstown State on line. I assume this will be true for the Gopher game.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/s...phers-dispatch-northern-iowa-first-round-wnit

"Day-to-day", sounds like a concussion to me:

The Gophers will leave for Cincinnati on Saturday morning. It’s unclear whether they’ll have junior Jasmine Brunson, who missed Friday’s game with an undisclosed injury, against the Bearcats. She has averaged 8.4 points in 30 games, including 27 starts.

“Her status is day-to-day right now, so we’ll see for her next game right now,” Whalen said.

Would think the broken nose suffered at the Big Ten tourney continues to have ill effects for Jasmine based on this status (story was also in the St Paul paper, who had a byline versus the wire service report in the Strib).

Big Brunson and Baby Brunson with similar maladies.

Although I wish Brunson a quick recovery, I won't mind if Staples gets another start. I am interested to see if she will be able to contribute next year, keeping in mind that the Gophers will have some new freshman guards joining the team next year. And I also don't mind seeing that team play on the road in some of these WNIT games. That experience may be helpful to the underclassmen as they go into next year's schedule.

2:00 PM CST as posted by CBS Sports.

Can't tell if Brunson is present or in uniform today.

It takes a couple of clicks to get there....but the gobearcats.com video feed of the game works!

Brunson did not travel with the team based on comments during the pregame show on the radio. They also noted that we'd keep playing on the road with a win today.

This game is good for Staples and also Tomancova if she is out of injury. Now is the time to get Freshmen players experience.

Can Pitts please not commit dumb fouls.. we really can't afford it.

And on a short bench. Does it seem like the Gophers don't have that pep on their steps? I wish they'd consider giving the Gophers more home court. But, I guess they have to be fair and go by the book. There is hardly a soul watching the game. The Bearcat Arena is almost empty.

Perez with almost half the Gopher points.

Can't wait to get Klarke Sconiers next year.

Bizarre Bearcat fans dancing.

I'll take the 7 point lead at the half..... but we need play with more focus and improve the rebounding in the second half.

Pitts with some "dumb" fouls in the first half. With 3 fouls at the half, will she sit to start the 3rd quarter? I'd be tempted to sit her and see if the Gophers can maintain the lead. If the Gophers have a lead late in the game, they'll surely want Pitts and her over 80% FT shooting available. Perez with 9 points...she's mostly taking 3s...but at least she is shooting. Not sure if Bell can win this game by herself.

Top Bottom