Souhan: Mother taught Minnesota guard Gabe Kalscheur how to shoot

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Her son would swish another 12-foot shot, and she would coax him closer. “I’d try to get him into the lane, to take a 10-footer,” LeeAnna Kalscheur said. “He’d always back up.”

For Gabe Kalscheur, “back” proved to be the right direction. On Thursday, the Gophers freshman scored a game-high 24 points in his first NCAA tournament game, making five of his 11 three-point attempts as Minnesota beat Louisville 86-76.

Kalscheur is the best shooter and defender on a team that has won 22 games and will face Michigan State on Saturday in Des Moines. He honed his stroke while practicing with his mother, a standout basketball player for Cal Poly Pomona and Nebraska.

When they lived in Eden Prairie, they’d hit the courts at Life Time Fitness. When they moved to Edina, they kept their Life Time membership and wore out the hoop in the driveway. LeeAnna turned Gabe’s two-handed push shot into the work of living art that promises to make him one of the great shooters in Gophers history.

“She’s a big influence,” Kalscheur said on Friday after the Gophers’ practice at Wells Fargo Arena. “She’s always been there for me. I was chunky when I was little. I was a post. Then she taught me how to shoot.”

“As a youth, he just had fun with it,” LeeAnna said. “When he got older, he had a nice, high release because of the way he learned to shoot, and because he was so strong. I always challenged him to be committed to his form.

“Even now, he does ask me to go get shots up with him, but that’s just Gabe. I give him the credit. He has grown to the point where he can self-correct when needed. Even the best shooters in the NBA, like Michael Jordan, relied on someone for support. Everyone has a shooting coach.”

http://www.startribune.com/mother-taught-minnesota-guard-gabe-kalscheur-how-to-shoot/507549272/

Go Gophers!!

She coached him well. A pure shooter and a smart player as well. I’m guessing he will be guarding Winston tomorrow and I’m hoping for a repeat (strong d leading to good shooting).

She coached him well. A pure shooter and a smart player as well. I’m guessing he will be guarding Winston tomorrow and I’m hoping for a repeat (strong d leading to good shooting).

I have perceived a difference in what Pitino has done with Gabe since our bench got even thinner. He seems to not take the best player on the other team early. This helps keep him out of foul trouble so A he is on the court scoring buckets, and B once it’s crunch time he can guard the opponent’s best player and be aggressive in doing so.

Anyone else picking this up??

I have perceived a difference in what Pitino has done with Gabe since our bench got even thinner. He seems to not take the best player on the other team early. This helps keep him out of foul trouble so A he is on the court scoring buckets, and B once it’s crunch time he can guard the opponent’s best player and be aggressive in doing so.

Anyone else picking this up??

This is one of many things I’ve been really impressed with in the last month or so!

Thanks Mom ! He is a pure shooter and I really love his court presence and well rounded game.

Top Bottom