***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN STATE VS MINNESOTA NCAA TOURNAMENT IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

There is no reason this shouldn't be a game. State is trying to give this game away but we spent the first 15 minutes jacking up contested 3s.

Yep. No coincidence that we started to function when he came in.

Right?
When you don’t hand off the ball for 23 seconds at the top of the key every possession but rather out the ball in the hands of a guard who can penetrate the defense, you tend to get easier looks at the basket.

#FREEIW

I'll take being down only 14 after that display.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Say what you want about the coaching, but if the Gophers could hit even 40% of their shots, it's a tie game.

IW better start the second half. He has breathed some life into the offense.

Small silver lining in this nightmare. This was going to be a huge challenge with Murphy. If he is out in the second half it will be an accomplishment to keep it under a 15 point loss.

Right?
When you don’t hand off the ball for 23 seconds at the top of the key every possession but rather out the ball in the hands of a guard who can penetrate the defense, you tend to get easier looks at the basket.

#FREEIW

But his guy scored once and we can't have that...

Are you tripping on bad acid?????

Nope, just fine, especially since I’ve been turning the channel frequently. 4-21 by the top 3 healthy scorers won’t get it done. Glad for hard defense, need someone to settle in on offense

I am convinced that if Pitino would have lived with IW's bad decisions and just coached him up, he'd be a lot better now but instead, he just sits IW in his dog house. I'd rather IW play than McBrayer. Coffey can just concentrate on scoring.

That was the worst half of college basketball I've ever watched. Shot horrendous. Can't rebound. No Murphy, Stockman. Just awful. And yet, "only" down 14. MSU shooting well, too. We can still come back, but if MSU starts executing on O...

Yep. No coincidence that we started to function when he came in.

No coincidence that he lost his man a bunch on D again either. IW holds himself back. He clearly has talent, he just doesn’t want it bad enough. I hope he goes off for 30 in the second half and it all finally clicks. Hope.

I am convinced that if Pitino would have lived with IW's bad decisions and just coached him up, he'd be a lot better now but instead, he just sits IW in his dog house. I'd rather IW play than McBrayer. Coffey can just concentrate on scoring.

Mcbrick has no confidence. It was evident on the first possession of the game when he had an open look at three, thought about it, and deferred. He’s also driven a few times and had his man beat and kicked it back out which allowed MSU to recover.

No coincidence that he lost his man a bunch on D again either. IW holds himself back. He clearly has talent, he just doesn’t want it bad enough. I hope he goes off for 30 in the second half and it all finally clicks. Hope.

I get it. He's not a great defender. But he does more for the offense then he takes away on D and it's not close, IMO.

Yes. Help us Obi Wan.
I do like seeing how Omersa and IW are playing knowing that they won't get the hook.

And I feel bad for Murphy after never missing a practice.

IW better start the second half. He has breathed some life into the offense.

Coffey and Washington are the only ones athletic enough to maneuver against Mich States very aggressive defense, but Washington wasn't good enough to develop and get any minutes throughout the season.

Jordan Murphy being out is a huge factor on team without a deep bench as MSU's.

There is quite a contrast in recruiting talent on display tonight.

Bottom line - The Gophers need to recruit better talent. Their 2019 Recruiting Class has only one player in signed 4-Star Tre Williams(0.9442) to date. They are 12th in the Big Ten and 101st Nationally in recruiting.

Coffey 12 pts...IW 5 pts...Oturu 2 points........rest of the team 0-fer

Coffey and Washington are the only ones athletic enough to maneuver against Mich States very aggressive defense, but Washington wasn't good enough to develop and get any minutes throughout the season.
It's a mystery...

1st Half thoughts

1) Now that we are not getting the good Hurt, Pitino should get him to transfer to Macalester.

2) coffee is having a strong game but plays out of position at PG, thus we have no one who can drive and kick

3) where is otturo?

4) they know Gabe’s game and are locking him up and eliminating catch and shoot

5) Omersa has a future as an energy guy / defender but will never have offense

6) good for Washington, I like him...but Pitino has screwed him. Nice audition for a transfer team this summer

7) if they lose I feel horrible for Murphy, he played for a minute and now just has to watch

2nd half:
-Play Washington and create some drive and kicks
-if hurt and stoll are going to play, might as well hack a ward as he is 66%

Hopefully pitino is showing the condensed version of Hoosiers and Miracle in the locker room.

I could handle this against a non-big10 team...........but MSU beats the hell out of us almost every time.

It's just disgusting watching Izzo and them roll us yet again.

5) Omersa has a future as an energy guy / defender but will never have offense

Omersa is the type of recruit this team has not yet had under Pitino. A real bench player that will actually be effective as a spark off the bench as a junior and senior. He'll be a defensive monster and frankly I don't care if he can't score (although I do think he'll develop at least basic offensive ability). We need these kind of players. No more wasted scholarships. Everyone has a role.

Last edited:

I fully expect Izzo to yell at his guys in the locker room for turning it over too much and for them to come out on a huge run to start the half.

Mcbrick has no confidence. It was evident on the first possession of the game when he had an open look at three, thought about it, and deferred. He’s also driven a few times and had his man beat and kicked it back out which allowed MSU to recover.

I don't think there's any sense in calling him names. He's pretty good at driving to the basket, but not a good shooter, and he frequently doesn't play to his strengths. One thing that goes unnoticed is that he generally plays solid defense.

Top Bottom