Daily News: Tom Izzo’s One Shining Moment was downright embarrassing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily News:

If this was Tom Izzo's One Shining Moment, it was downright embarrassing.

Of course, the Michigan State coach felt no shame.

Like so many of his brethren, he considers it well within his coaching rights to berate a young man in front of the whole world.

He’s got plenty of apologists, too.

Izzo’s former players sprang to his defense (which sounds a bit like a hoops version of Stockholm Syndrome). Georgia coach Tom Crean, who was on the Michigan State staff two decades ago, said he actually misses those glorious days when Izzo chewed him out. And, of course, others turned to that well-worn gripe that any complaints about Izzo’s abrasive coaching style are merely further evidence of how soft we’ve gotten as a country.

“Tom Izzo makes everyone around him accountable and responsible,” Crean wrote Friday on Twitter. “I’ve been gone 20 years from his staff and there is many a day I wish he’d tell and yell at me again. It always made me better.”

What a crock.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0190322-ocmvf6lulfhk7gb4afwkeo4yae-story.html

Go Gophers!!

We are a society of pansies.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

We are a society of pansies.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Yep. I think Izzo is a knob, but this is another big nothingburger.

Last edited:

Close circuit to Bleed: report the news and omit the commentary. Your bias shows.

Omit the commentary on a message board? Why? Izzo is no saint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omit the commentary on a message board? Why? Izzo is no saint.

Certainly is not. Remember all of the sexual assaults he’s covered up? Adrian Payne, Keith Appling, and a few others.

Certainly is not. Remember all of the sexual assaults he’s covered up? Adrian Payne, Keith Appling, and a few others.

Fake news...where is your proof...silence is deafening

I may be wrong but does anyone else get the feeling that Izzo does the angry thing because he knows he's on camera?

It always seems forced or made for the camera.

Coach Izzo is upset.........showing his intensity! Hey everyone, look at Tom's intensity!

I think it's phony baloney.

I can accept a coach raising their voice to get a player’s attention, make a point of instruction with intensity, or even express his frustration with poor execution. But the angry, profanity-laced, belittling, venting directed at players in many sports (at all levels) should not be accepted. Nobody responds positively to that kind of screaming. They either grit their teeth and take it, or they learn to tune it out. The former players coming to the defense of a coach under fire for abusive behavior sound disturbingly like spousal abuse victims telling the police that “he really didn’t mean it,” or “he really loves me.” I wonder how many athletes who step away from their sport (at any level) saying, “I lost my passion for the game,” really mean, “I’m tired of putting up with this kind of abuse.”

I can accept a coach raising their voice to get a player’s attention, make a point of instruction with intensity, or even express his frustration with poor execution. But the angry, profanity-laced, belittling, venting directed at players in many sports (at all levels) should not be accepted. Nobody responds positively to that kind of screaming. They either grit their teeth and take it, or they learn to tune it out. The former players coming to the defense of a coach under fire for abusive behavior sound disturbingly like spousal abuse victims telling the police that “he really didn’t mean it,” or “he really loves me.” I wonder how many athletes who step away from their sport (at any level) saying, “I lost my passion for the game,” really mean, “I’m tired of putting up with this kind of abuse.”

You're being a little dramatic, but to each their own. Some people can handle it, some people can't. Each player knows what they're getting themselves into when they commit to a coach like that. If they can't handle it, they should play for someone else. It's their choice.

The problem is that you don’t know your new girlfriend is a psycho until she moves in. A coach’s recruiting behavior in front of Mom and Dad can turn out to be Bobby Knight after you sign your life away.

Your vagina is showing

Oh no, a coach yells at a player. When will the madness end? :rolleyes:

All these "he's holding players accountable", "back in my day", and "toughness" defenses are insane. This has nothing to do with how the players respond or feel about him yelling, or whether or not their feelings were hurt. There are probably plenty of players that respond positively to this sort of thing.
This is about a grown man losing his temper and blowing up like a 4 year old that was told to turn the TV off. The fact that Izzo sees nothing wrong with it is embarrassing, really. For some reason we excuse that behavior because of this pedestal we put sports (and coaches) on. Imagine an adult acting like this in any other situation? You would be extremely embarrassed for the person doing it. Why is basketball any different?
There are plenty of ways to teach and hold players accountable that don't require you to be restrained by other players (see John Wooden) and there are ways to convey emotion without throwing a fit (see PJ Fleck).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Close circuit to Bleed: report the news and omit the commentary. Your bias shows.

WTF are you talking about?

1. Bleed can comment on anything he wants. He’s not a reporter.

2. He literally copied and pasted an article, I don’t even see any of his own commentary.

Hockey coach chewed my son out one time for his lack of effort after a game, wife was pissed and I said he deserved it the way he played. Next game coach said it was his best game thus far.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I cetainly yell at my kids if they don't follow through on what they are supposed to do. I tell them the first time, remind them on the second with a little bit of concern in my voice, and I chew their ass on the third one. Guess what...they always follow through if it ever gets to 3. They certainly don't enjoy getting yelled at and neither do I but usually they respond much better aFter that. Perhaps the coach already discussed said issue with the player multiple times leading to the tirade. I know in the military they certainly yell when they're training recruits, is that ok still? I guess I will have to agree to disagree with some of you on this point.

I cetainly yell at my kids if they don't follow through on what they are supposed to do. I tell them the first time, remind them on the second with a little bit of concern in my voice, and I chew their ass on the third one. Guess what...they always follow through if it ever gets to 3. They certainly don't enjoy getting yelled at and neither do I but usually they respond much better aFter that. Perhaps the coach already discussed said issue with the player multiple times leading to the tirade. I know in the military they certainly yell when they're training recruits, is that ok still? I guess I will have to agree to disagree with some of you on this point.

Maybe you should check what the suicide rate for military people are compared to general population before you use that as a comparison?

WTF are you talking about?

1. Bleed can comment on anything he wants. He’s not a reporter.

2. He literally copied and pasted an article, I don’t even see any of his own commentary.

+04.

no idea what les is talking about. he’s not happy if he’s not bitching at someone.

Maybe you should check what the suicide rate for military people are compared to general population before you use that as a comparison?

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with all the other stuff the military deals with. Must be all the yelling.

Izzo's coaching style is not for me. I would probably choose a guy like PJ over Izzo any day. I had a high school coach that had some Izzo-like qualities and we all just knew it was thing. Everyone just learned to ignore it, let him have his moment, and move on. It didn't traumatize me, nor did it help me though. If a person can't handle getting yelled at, they are in real trouble in this world.

On the other hand, there are some guys that really do respond well to that kind of thing. I would guess that at least 90% of the players at Michigan State knew what they were getting into when they signed up to play for Izzo. It's not like it was a secret. If you can play at MSU you can probably play at just about any college, yet they chose to play for him.

The other part is we don't really know what kind of relationship Izzo has with these guys behind the scenes. My guess is it's a really good one and there's plenty of building up that goes on behind the scenes. So yelling at a guy every now and then is just part of the process.

What about throwing chairs??

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with all the other stuff the military deals with. Must be all the yelling.

Talked to a kid who went was going through boot camp a few months ago and there were 3 people already on suicide watch. So what other "stuff" were they dealing with?

Talked to a kid who went was going through boot camp a few months ago and there were 3 people already on suicide watch. So what other "stuff" were they dealing with?

If you think all boot camp is is yelling, you don't really understand boot camp.

I don't have a problem with coaches yelling, or getting in someone's face.
Izzo's rants used to be obviously coaching events: Animated, intense, urgent, demanding.

The criticism is that he seemed none of those things. He seemed angry and out of control.
He used to look like he was enjoying himself and his players. Now he looks tired and spent.

This ain't tiddlywinks. This is big-time basketball, with the best players priming themselves for a crack at unimaginable wealth. If anyone thinks the stakes aren't huge, they aren't thinking.

That being said, I highly suspect Izzo's performance was just that ... a performance. The intention was to send a message not just to #11, but to everyone connected to the team.

If Izzo's temper is so uncontrollable, be would not be able to function as a coach. He not only knew exactly what he was doing, he chose to do it. And I have no problem with that. People who can't stomach conflict should probably find something else to do than watch Division I athletics.

JTG

Top Bottom