NCAA Tournament

UConn more "vulnerable" than they've been in years, but still advancing to Final Four. Nice to see Oregon advance also. I'll be cheering for the Hawkeyes tonight against Mulkey's gang. Don't like the Hawkeyes chances much, but it would really be nice to see them in there. I really like Gustafson as a player..she seems to enjoy playing and enjoy her teammates and she isn't a showboat. The BIG has had it's share of great players in recent years, including her, Mitchell, Banham...

Agreed, be nice to see a B1G team in the final four. Be nice if the conference can do a resurgence like the PAC 12 has done the past few years. Another reason cheering for Hawkeyes I’ve never been a fan of Mulkey and her constant whining to the refs. An old message board used to call her Kim Sulkey-Sobertson and I think it fits.

I'd be surprised if Baylor didnt win going away against Iowa, They are just huge, Gustafson is gonna have her work cut out for this one.

So far (at half-time) you’re correct. That is, if by “going away” you mean Baylor scoring about 1.5 x Iowa score.

Baylor size and quality D making it tough for Iowa to score. Kinda weird to see Gustafson get blocked. And Baylor can seemingly score at will. Baylor fast break hurting Iowa too.

Plus Baylor has been knocking Hawkeyes to the ground left and right yet barely a foul call against them. I think Iowa could be within 10 if it weren’t for biased refs that let Baylor push with impunity.

Last edited:

Iowa needed to be lights out from 3 and make 13-15 from 3 to stay in this game. I also find Mulkey's constant complaining and drama face annoying.

Her wardrobe is annoying as well. Iowa just didn't have enough to keep up with Baylor.

Iowa needed to be lights out from 3 and make 13-15 from 3 to stay in this game. I also find Mulkey's constant complaining and drama face annoying.

Iowas guards arent good creating their own shots. If you can single cover Gustafson like Baylor is you can take away pretty much everything else.

Agreed with all of the above including distaste for Sulkey Mulkey. I also dislike her game plan, which amounted to “beat the crap out of Gustafson early and often.” Bottom line, Baylor has 2 Gustafsons and Iowa only has one.

I take that back. I’d say each of Baylor’s two posts is not quite as good as Gustafson (albeit better at shoving), but cumulatively they’re equal to 1.6 Gustafsons. And as noted, Iowa guards needed to be near perfect and they were far from that tonite.

Interesting stat flashed on TV: Fighting Irish starters have almost 10,000 career points between them (before quarter-final game against Stanford).

So it’s Baylor, Notre Dame, UConn and Oregon. Have no choice but to cheer for the Ducks. I am wondering how they are gonna fit the egos of Kim, Geno and Muffet I one arena, very bored with this Final Four.

So it’s Baylor, Notre Dame, UConn and Oregon. Have no choice but to cheer for the Ducks. I am wondering how they are gonna fit the egos of Kim, Geno and Muffet I one arena, very bored with this Final Four.
Agreed, cheering for the Ducks. Cannot stomach pulling for UCON, Baylor or Notre Dame.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/26424255/how-notre-dame-uconn-oregon-baylor-look-year-now

ESPNW looks at the future for the final four teams:

The present is all positive for UConn, Notre Dame, Oregon and Baylor, the teams headed to the Women's Final Four in Tampa, Florida, to compete for the 2019 national championship.

But how about their futures? Here's a glimpse at the recruiting pictures for the last teams standing.

Notre Dame:

We refuse to use the cliché about reloading, but you get the picture. Coach Muffet McGraw and the defending champions will lose stars Marina Mabrey, Brianna Turner, Arike Ogunbowale and Jessica Shepard (and potentially Jackie Young), but the Irish have help on the way in the form of two McDonald's All Americans in their 2019 class.

Samantha Brunelle, who won the 3-point shootout at the Powerade JamFest, has the kind of game and personality that Irish fans will fall hard for. The 6-foot-2 versatile forward from William Monroe High (Stanardsville, Virginia) has won gold medals with USA Basketball in both 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 tournaments. Brunelle was Virginia's Gatorade player of the year as a junior, when she averaged 30.0 points, 15.6 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3.0 blocks and 2.2 steals. She missed a chunk of her senior season after having foot surgery in January, but Brunelle came back to put up 25 points and pull down 24 rebounds in her final high school game.

Anaya Peoples averaged 20.0 points, 7.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists as a senior, and led Schlarman Academy (Danville, Illinois) to back-to-back state championships. The athletic 5-10 point guard also struck gold with USA Basketball over the summer at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Mexico City. Against the other top seniors at the McDonald's game last month, Peoples scored 11 points and grabbed eight rebounds.

Notre Dame also has a verbal commitment from junior point guard Allison Campbell, who was Pennsylvania's Gatorade player of the year as a sophomore. She has led Bellwood-Antis High to back-to-back state titles.

With clock winding down before half-time in Final Four game, Ionescu pulls the same play she did against the Gophers in last year’s second-round game - hitting the three plus falling to the floor to snag the 4-point play. As in last year, I couldn’t really tell if it was a foul or not, but she definitely sold it with the backwards fall. Anyway, Oregon leads Baylor by one at the half.

Go {anybody but UConn, Notre Dame or Baylor} (I guess that would be Ducks).

It was a grind of a battle between the paintballers and the threeballers with a tie at a minute or so left. Then the Baylor point guard puts Baylor up for good with a Kenisha-Bell-like blow-by-the-defense drive to the hole. Baylor wins.

Not sure I can stomach the final if Sulkey Mulkey wears another hot pink pantsuit.

Hope Paige enjoyed watching ND beat puke conn !

As noted earlier in this thread, her buddy Sam Brunelle is going to Notre Dame. So I guess UConn needs Paige very badly in order to get back to the competitive level that they’re used to. Plus they are going to need to fend off up-and-coming teams like the University of Minnesota.

When you think about it, Geno was SOL if he didn’t get Paige to commit.

I see that the basketball court at US Bank is raised. A point to William's arena!

What a great championship game. Baylor loses their star player to a knee injury at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Notre Dame races back to tie. Both teams battle and slug it out down to the wire. Baylor wins the National Championship by one. Fantastic effort by both teams.

Was a great game

What a great championship game. Baylor loses their star player to a knee injury at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Notre Dame races back to tie. Both teams battle and slug it out down to the wire. Baylor wins the National Championship by one. Fantastic effort by both teams.

This was a great game, still seeing Sulky Mulky win is never a treat.

Great game! Fun to watch, even better without UConn!

Top Bottom