2019 Road Games

tihaberman

Reaction score
I'm looking to keep my annual tradition of going to a road game alive this fall. Road games this fall are at Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, Iowa and Fresno State. I've been to Iowa and Northwestern already. Leaning towards the Purdue game this year, but I'm looking for input from anyone with experience traveling to either Piscataway or West Lafayette and what you thought.

Ski U Mah!

I'm looking to keep my annual tradition of going to a road game alive this fall. Road games this fall are at Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, Iowa and Fresno State. I've been to Iowa and Northwestern already. Leaning towards the Purdue game this year, but I'm looking for input from anyone with experience traveling to either Piscataway or West Lafayette and what you thought.

Ski U Mah!

I've been to Piscataway, I didn't really enjoy it too much. It made Northwestern feel like Madison.

I haven't been to a game in West Lafayette in years. The last time I was there, they were pretty bad and didn't have a huge fanbase. It was still fun and felt like the Big 10. Piscataway did not.

I'd go to Iowa again but West Lafayette is better than Rutgers, IMO.

Since my son is moving to New Jersey, we are all heading to the Rutgers game, my wife and daughter's first Gopher game. The cool thing is that his girlfriend's family, who have been in NJ forever, are going to cheering for the Gophs!

Fresno State. Got a hotel on campus less than a half mile from the stadium. Flying in Friday. Might be a totally Uber experience while there.

We are planning a few days in NYC and a day trip to Rutgers for the game. I might try to drive down to W. Lafayette. We’ll see.

Mrs. S and I will be attending the Rutgers game, putting the cherry on top of a 5-day weekend trip to the NYC area. Once completed, it leaves only Maryland to check off the list of all 14 B1G venues visited.

Will be hitting the mean streets of Fresno...

Mrs. S and I will be attending the Rutgers game, putting the cherry on top of a 5-day weekend trip to the NYC area. Once completed, it leaves only Maryland to check off the list of all 14 B1G venues visited.

Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll be going to Rutgers and then NYC for a few days. This will be the last stop to cross off all B10 stadiums for us.

By football season, we’ll have 3 kids under age 5, so we’ll probably take a couple years off before starting the cycle again.

West Lafayette is a dump, but I thought Ross Ade is a bit underrated. We were there for a Gopher win, so going to the bars afterwards was a blast. Good/easy tailgating too.

Mrs B & I are in initial stages of planning FS trip. Fly in/out Vegas and spend week in Fresno area. RT air into Vegas about $160 now. Never been there and lots of things to see & do.

Mrs B & I are in initial stages of planning FS trip. Fly in/out Vegas and spend week in Fresno area. RT air into Vegas about $160 now. Never been there and lots of things to see & do.
Never been to Vegas?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

We’ll be going to Rutgers and then NYC for a few days. This will be the last stop to cross off all B10 stadiums for us.

By football season, we’ll have 3 kids under age 5, so we’ll probably take a couple years off before starting the cycle again.

West Lafayette is a dump, but I thought Ross Ade is a bit underrated. We were there for a Gopher win, so going to the bars afterwards was a blast. Good/easy tailgating too.
I will have to look into going to the Rutgers game. I think that's MEA weekend so the kids will be off from school. Could hit Philly then up to Rutgers. I know NYC is close but just did that last summer.

Ski U Mah!

Always the best way to go.

We had thought about going to Rutgers, but it's a long trip and we went to Maryland last year. Thus, we are opting for Purdue. We've been to West Lafayette many times. It's certainly NOT NYC but it's an easy drive, the fans are nice, and we'll probably go a day early (Thursday) so we can spend a night in Chicago. It's also a HUGE game for the Gophers, being their first conference game and it's in September, so the weather should be nice.

Rutgers and Iowa for me this year.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I'm a1959 grad living in San Marino. Driving up to Fresno for the game. I would love to connect with Gopher fans.please let me know how to meet before the game and if possible sit with a group.
Stan

Never been to Vegas?

Nope. Never been on our bucket list.
So we pulled the trigger on air into Vegas yesterday so we r set for the road trip to Cali. Will be fun trip
Sent from my phone using Tapatalk[/QUOhTE]

Nope. Never been on our bucket list.
So we pulled the trigger on air into Vegas yesterday so we r set for the road trip to Cali. Will be fun trip

You have all kinds of options along the way: Death Valley, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite.

The better half and I were just talking about hitting a road game this year too. It's looking like it will be the Purdue game, Stubhub/SeatGeek the best options for tickets?

travel

I've been to Piscataway, I didn't really enjoy it too much. It made Northwestern feel like Madison.

I haven't been to a game in West Lafayette in years. The last time I was there, they were pretty bad and didn't have a huge fanbase. It was still fun and felt like the Big 10. Piscataway did not.

I'd go to Iowa again but West Lafayette is better than Rutgers, IMO.

try staying in Manhattan and drive out for the game. Catch a play in NY

The Vegas to Fresno with some cool stops on the way in brilliant.

Going to look at booking that. Thanks Gopherhole.

Fresno State. Got a hotel on campus less than a half mile from the stadium. Flying in Friday. Might be a totally Uber experience while there.

I'll be there with the wife. Driving up for the game. Going to get tickets through the U's ticket office so that I can sit with the rest of you miscreants...

To me there are a few things to consider:

1. How long will you be out there? If you are just going to the game it's potentially one answer, if you are going to the game and maybe a little time around the stadium maybe a different answer, going to the game and days to explore "nearby" is yet a different answer.

2. Frequency of play. The Gophers play at Purdue every other year, at Rutgers once every 6 years minimum (next in 2025) and may never play at Fresno State again in my lifetime.

3. Frequency of visiting area. If you're going to be there for a while and can visit an adjoining area (Chicago, Philly/NYC, Vegas/etc.), is there one you've never been to, hate going to, etc.?

4. Anything drawing you to the area (Relatives, friends you haven't seen in a while, work location, etc.).

5. Friends. Do you have friends going to one? It's always fun going as a group.

I'm struggling with this year especially because I don't want to miss out on Fresno, but several friends are going to Rutgers and my wife wants to use that as an excuse to visit her cousin. Plus I don't have a lot of vacation this year, so I don't have the luxury of doing two (other than maybe a quick Purdue trip).

For me, the game experience is always at least interesting (usually fun, other than occasional blowouts). It's more the rest of the experience that makes the trip memorable. But I rarely just go to the game.

^^^ All solid points ^^^

I've always said, I use Gopher football as an excuse to travel places I otherwise would likely never go. If it was all about the game and wins/losses, I'd have stopped many years ago. The plan is to hit up Fresno State and Rutgers this year.

If it's between Rutgers and Purdue, aside from West Lafayette being the armpit of the Big Ten, I'd adhere to the advise about frequency of opponent -- you'll get another chance at Purdue in two years, whereas Rutgers probably won't happen again for a while.

My wife and I are going to Iowa this year, we’ve never been there for a game surprisingly. We went to Nebraska last year, and then went to Michigan the season before that. I’ve been to Wisconsin for the past two away games we’ve had there. I’d say go Purdue, if not Purdue Rutgers.

Just made reservations for the Fresno game. My wife and I will fly down from Seattle and spend three nights at Sequoia - Kings Canyon, and then two nights in Fresno. We’ve been to Yosemite many times, but never Sequoia and Kings Canyon. Hopefully, we can get tickets near the rest of you rabid Gophers. Should be a great trip,

Just made reservations for the Fresno game. My wife and I will fly down from Seattle and spend three nights at Sequoia - Kings Canyon, and then two nights in Fresno. We’ve been to Yosemite many times, but never Sequoia and Kings Canyon. Hopefully, we can get tickets near the rest of you rabid Gophers. Should be a great trip,

Highly recommend staying here for Sequoia (might also work as a base for Kings Canyon): https://www.visitsequoia.com/lodging/wuksachi-lodge

Top Bottom