Like it or not, the move to PG for Coffey worked

GopherJake

Reaction score
Amir Coffey is our PG and has been since day one this season. He is not a natural PG, we can all agree on that. It's not ideal, by any stretch. I'm not arguing that. Pitino definitely has responsibility for the hand that he largely dealt himself: Carr ruled ineligible and only one potentially capable PG eligible, in IW.

Pitino decided that IW could not handle the starting PG duties very early this year and put his eggs in the Coffey at PG basket. Pitino is no dummy and he watches the same games you and I watch. He sees the turnovers. He sees the weakness going to his right. He sees the inability to get the team into a functioning half-court offense at times.

All this said, I think it is clear that it worked and was the right move at the right time - he made the decision right away, knowing it would take quite a while and may be a disaster. But IW continues to prove that he is incapable of being even a serviceable backup PG, let alone a 30 minute a game go-to court general. Coffey has had many growing pains and is certainly not polished. But the offense has found something the last month or so and Coffey is a HUGE part of why. With a little help from McBrayer sharing the PG duties on a random trip up the floor, they have patched together a workable - if not nearly ideal - PG situation. Not to mention, the experiment has done wonders for Coffey's pro prospects, with all the ball-handling he has been forced into.

Obviously, next year, if Carr is capable, Coffey moves to his more natural role, but the team will be overall better due to Pitino's move.

Discuss!

I’m impressed he can play 40 minutes a game.. But I think you are right. Coffey has just enough handles and vision to play point. His size gives us a serious height advantage that opposing teams can’t scoff at

Amir Coffey is our PG and has been since day one this season. He is not a natural PG, we can all agree on that. It's not ideal, by any stretch. I'm not arguing that. Pitino definitely has responsibility for the hand that he largely dealt himself: Carr ruled ineligible and only one potentially capable PG eligible, in IW.

Pitino decided that IW could not handle the starting PG duties very early this year and put his eggs in the Coffey at PG basket. Pitino is no dummy and he watches the same games you and I watch. He sees the turnovers. He sees the weakness going to his right. He sees the inability to get the team into a functioning half-court offense at times.

All this said, I think it is clear that it worked and was the right move at the right time - he made the decision right away, knowing it would take quite a while and may be a disaster. But IW continues to prove that he is incapable of being even a serviceable backup PG, let alone a 30 minute a game go-to court general. Coffey has had many growing pains and is certainly not polished. But the offense has found something the last month or so and Coffey is a HUGE part of why. With a little help from McBrayer sharing the PG duties on a random trip up the floor, they have patched together a workable - if not nearly ideal - PG situation. Not to mention, the experiment has done wonders for Coffey's pro prospects, with all the ball-handling he has been forced into.

Obviously, next year, if Carr is capable, Coffey moves to his more natural role, but the team will be overall better due to Pitino's move.

Discuss!

I have to believe that Washington is gone. So it is my hope that we bring in a JUCO PG to back up or play along side of Carr. Either that or a grad transfer. I like the JUCO angle because then- if Carr is not really a PG either, you wouldn't have to use a 2020 recruit as the starting PG right away- you could ease them in.

IF Carr is the real deal at point and Curry returns to health at PF we have a pretty solid starting lineup with Coffey back at SF.

One additional note on Coffey. Despite his PG role, one thing he has started to do a little more of is rebound. I think Pitino has tweaked it a little and has Coffey leaking out early for fast breaks less often. With his size and strength, getting a few extra boards out of him lately, has been big.

We need this spring: a back up or starting PG. A 4/5 banger. Another really good shooter.

I still think our ceiling would have been significantly higher if the good IW was harnessed and on the court. IW at PG, Coffey at SF, either Kalscheur or McBrayer starting at SG, with the other coming off the bench to provide offense would have been ideal. IW is one of the more gifted ball handlers and passers that we've had come through the program in a while. Our team plays really well in transition with the ball in his hands and Coffey on a wing. I would have preferred for him to get more leash and for Pitino to coach him up. Pitino failed by not having another PG on the roster at the beginning of the season other than IW.

I have to believe that Washington is gone. So it is my hope that we bring in a JUCO PG to back up or play along side of Carr. Either that or a grad transfer. I like the JUCO angle because then- if Carr is not really a PG either, you wouldn't have to use a 2020 recruit as the starting PG right away- you could ease them in.

IF Carr is the real deal at point and Curry returns to health at PF we have a pretty solid starting lineup with Coffey back at SF.

One additional note on Coffey. Despite his PG role, one thing he has started to do a little more of is rebound. I think Pitino has tweaked it a little and has Coffey leaking out early for fast breaks less often. With his size and strength, getting a few extra boards out of him lately, has been big.

We need this spring: a back up or starting PG. A 4/5 banger. Another really good shooter.

Carr will be the starting PG. We need a backup pg, and a whole lot of depth, anywhere but especially at the 4/5. Carr can shoot it, at least better than anyone on the current team not named Gabe.

Carr will be the starting PG. We need a backup pg, and a whole lot of depth, anywhere but especially at the 4/5. Carr can shoot it, at least better than anyone on the current team not named Gabe.

We literally have two point guards waiting to be brought into the fold. Payton Willis is also a PG (go read Vanderbilt news stories, he's referred to as a point guard).

The ability of IW to pass is beyond intriguing, he has Ja Morant passing ability and dribbling ability. He's amazing in those areas. He can get anywhere he wants to on the floor. The problem is that he lacks three other tools- 1) He is not able to finish at the hoop against Big Ten athletes- he just doesn't have the vertical. 2) He has good shooting form, but he doesn't seem to make shots- maybe it is mostly confidence but his percentages are bad. 3) He had stretches where he worked harder on defense but again his lack of vertical and smaller size makes him a mismatch against a lot of players.

That said, in retrospect, while I thought Pitino was doing the right thing, I wish that Pitino would have taken a different strategy with him in the non-conference. I think that the tough love thing didn't turn the key for Washington and Pitino lost him. I wish he would have been playing him big minutes and bringing Dupree off the bench until he proved it didn't work.

There has been a shift in basketball at both the NBA and College away from the traditional 5 positions to a more positionless style of play. Coffey fits in that perfectly. He is not a natural point guard but he can dribble enough to bring the ball up and set the offense.

There is still a place for the more traditional point guard in basketball but point guard and center are gradually shifting out of the game to the more fluid combo players that can do a lot of different things.

I believe Grant Sherfield is a decent shooter and capable of playing point guard, if we get him.

I still think our ceiling would have been significantly higher if the good IW was harnessed and on the court. IW at PG, Coffey at SF, either Kalscheur or McBrayer starting at SG, with the other coming off the bench to provide offense would have been ideal. IW is one of the more gifted ball handlers and passers that we've had come through the program in a while. Our team plays really well in transition with the ball in his hands and Coffey on a wing. I would have preferred for him to get more leash and for Pitino to coach him up. Pitino failed by not having another PG on the roster at the beginning of the season other than IW.

As much as I wish Pitino had a eligible PG on the roster, there's little evidence that backs up that our offensive ceiling would be higher with Isaiah at PG vs. Coffey at PG. Isaiah has been a net negative player for Minnesota this year and last year. Would I prefer to have a Nate Mason or Marcus Carr at PG? Absolutely. However, there's little debate between Coffey and Isaiah at PG.

I'll be curious to see what happens next season with Carr eligible and if Sherfield signs. Fuller had a good story on Coffey before yesterday's game. Amir became the focal point of the offense after the first practice of the season, he called his dad later that day to tell him how much fun it was being involved in every play, every decision. The quote Richard had was a 180 swing from last year, when it seemed he was critical of Pitino at times. And Richard isn't some crazy parent, he's a credible basketball guy.

You can never have enough guards. Coffey will likely play more on the wing or in off-ball situations next year, but it doesn't mean he can't be just as aggressive or a focal point of the offense. Crazy to think he'll already be a senior next year, and I'll also be curious to see what NBA scouts tell him after the season other than improving his jump shot.

I'll be curious to see what happens next season with Carr eligible and if Sherfield signs. Fuller had a good story on Coffey before yesterday's game. Amir became the focal point of the offense after the first practice of the season, he called his dad later that day to tell him how much fun it was being involved in every play, every decision. The quote Richard had was a 180 swing from last year, when it seemed he was critical of Pitino at times. And Richard isn't some crazy parent, he's a credible basketball guy.

You can never have enough guards. Coffey will likely play more on the wing or in off-ball situations next year, but it doesn't mean he can't be just as aggressive or a focal point of the offense. Crazy to think he'll already be a senior next year, and I'll also be curious to see what NBA scouts tell him after the season other than improving his jump shot.

The biggest thing Coffey needs to find is the ability to bring a consistent effort every game. When he is on he can absolutely take over a game but they you will have other games where he is basically invisible. Hopefully a light has come on for him as he was really good late in the season.

When he gets going he is almost unstoppable.

Fair to ding Pitino for a recruiting miss here, at least up to this point. Also, very impressive how Pitino has adjusted and brought this team along with zero natural point guards. Preseason, I wouldnt have given a fig for our chances to make the round of 32 with no IW, yet here we are.

I believe Grant Sherfield is a decent shooter and capable of playing point guard, if we get him.

Yep, I'd expect Sherfield to be the backup PG next year if we get him which I think we will and Willis to be the backup SG while Williams backs up Amir.

Top Bottom