Impressions from those who were there in person for the Louisville game

Urbandale

Reaction score
1. It was a strong showing of Minnesota fans. Especially for a Thursday morning game, which I can't imagine was terribly convenient for everyone. There was a lot of maroon and gold.

2. Loud too. It's weird sometimes standing up and cheering when all around you are Spartan fans and Nevada fans and Montana fans and so forth, but nobody sat on their hands.

3. There were lots of Bradley fans there. Much more than I would have expected. If they bought multi-day tickets, they should be available somewhere.

4. I'd be willing to bet that Wells Fargo Arena was filled closer to capacity than any other first round site. Part of this is no doubt because Iowans tend to really get out to their sporting events.

5. Long lines for the men's rooms. No lines for the women's rooms. My wife thought that was funny and took a picture of a bunch of guys standing in line outside the bathroom. I said, "That's really pervy" just as a dude was walking past my wife. He heard me and stopped suddenly, looking at me scared like I'd just busted him trying to give her a quick feel or something.

6. There are some good restaurants on Court Avenue, just a couple blocks south of the arena. You can also walk across the pedestrian bridge over the river and get into the East Village, which has some cool spots as well.

7. Poor Washington. He stands at the outskirts of all the team huddles, looking kind of sad. I can't see any way he stays for even a minute after the season-ending loss.

8. Maybe there won't be a season-ending loss. National title, baby!

9. What else did everyone notice?

Urbandale wrote:

"1. It was a strong showing of Minnesota fans. Especially for a Thursday morning game, which I can't imagine was terribly convenient for everyone. There was a lot of maroon and gold."

Now I feel guilty for not being in Detroit the day after Christmas...

Agreed on all of your points but really want to emphasize #1. We drove by a lot of vehicles filled with gopher fans on our way down (I have a tendency to speed when excited) and we’re amazed at the overall number once inside. It was loud. The rouser was rocking. Players were encouraging it, which made it louder.

Omersa’s energy matters to this team, even when he is on the bench.

Gabe and Murphy were interview post game. Walked through a tunnel that was surrounded by gopher fans. Both of them stopped and high fives kids in the first few rows. After the biggest game of their careers, they took time for young fans. Let that sink in.

Gabe and Murphy were interview post game. Walked through a tunnel that was surrounded by gopher fans. Both of them stopped and high fives kids in the first few rows. After the biggest game of their careers, they took time for young fans. Let that sink in.

That right there is a program I can stand behind, win or lose......But winning is a lot more fun!!! :)
very proud of this team on and off the court(from what I can see), nothing but positivity.

Agreed on all of your points but really want to emphasize #1. We drove by a lot of vehicles filled with gopher fans on our way down (I have a tendency to speed when excited) and we’re amazed at the overall number once inside. It was loud. The rouser was rocking. Players were encouraging it, which made it louder.

Omersa’s energy matters to this team, even when he is on the bench.

I've never driven the freeway and felt like I 'knew' so many people.
We had a few Minnesota fans near us, but we quickly recruited the Iowan's around us, chatted up the Cyclone fans with factoids. ie when the guy next to us exclaimed "good board" we told them about Murphy's double double history. The team played so incredibly well that we had lots of bragging moments ("he's just a freshman...and he is also just a freshman'). Our little area was packed with knowledgeable fans who loved discussing the good and bad plays/calls. My son and I are loud enthusiastic and friendly fans so we had a really fabulous time.

The first 'bad' call by the refs ignited the loud boos from the Minnesota crowd and startled many around us. "We boo the calls against us - pretty much no matter what" I laughed and we had plenty of opportunity to do so late in the game. "Now it this were the Hakweyes, this would be a collapse..." a Hawk fan said. The Northern Iowa fans behind us were happy to adopt a team, and a young woman confessed her license plate said, "HawkWho"

So I realized that Iowans are more caught up in their intrastate basketball rivalries to begrudge our success.

On another note, I wasn't impressed with the way the Michigan State band and cheerleaders did the premature shot clock countdown, and chanted 'airball'. Personally I think that behavior is fine from the student section, but not from people representing the university and gifted a courtside presence. To quote Pitino, act like you've been there before. Bradley gave Michigan State all they could handle, and raised my hopes we can win on Saturday.

The one spot I visited in the arena for merchandise was sold out of the "Minnesota March Madness" T-shirts. All other teams playing in Des Moines were still available. They told me more would be available Saturday. Nice showing by MN fans!

Great environment. Better arena than I thought it would be. Corn dogs at concessions. A Gopher win. Everyone had to be pleased.

Was a great time, can't wait for tomorrow. SKI U MAH!

4. I'd be willing to bet that Wells Fargo Arena was filled closer to capacity than any other first round site. Part of this is no doubt because Iowans tend to really get out to their sporting events.

It did look full compared to other sites. Villanova - St Mary's in Hartford could have fit the assembled crowd in an airplane bathroom.

Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Louisville, and Bradley all in reasonable driving distance was good scheduling on NCAA's part. I'm sure a lot of St. Mary's fans made the trip to Hartford.

I asked this question in another thread, but will do so here, too. Are there tickets available on the street, or would it be advised to purchase before we head down Saturday? Wanting to know if the service fees from StubHub, etc. are a needed part of this experience.

I asked this question in another thread, but will do so here, too. Are there tickets available on the street, or would it be advised to purchase before we head down Saturday? Wanting to know if the service fees from StubHub, etc. are a needed part of this experience.

There are plenty of tickets on the street

There was a lot of people selling tickets on the street yesterday. No idea on price or anything but they were there. Bring cash, and lots of it, if this is your plan.

As a comp, there were several people selling on the street yesterday.

I suppose about an hour or an hour and a half before the tip, I bought a pair of very nice tickets for $125 per.
They were section 117 (directly up from the top of the key) row R (about 3/4th of the way up the lower level). Very very nice seats.
I'm thinking I'll head down there tomorrow aft and see if anything nice is available for $150 or so. If not I'll bag it and watch at home or in a bar.

Top Bottom