STrib: Former Gophers Marcus Sherels agrees to deal with Saints

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Marcus Sherels, one of the longest-tenured Vikings players and the franchise’s all-time leading punt returner, will don a new NFL jersey next season.

Sherels, a free agent, agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Saints on Thursday, according to a league source. The 31-year-old returner is the third ex-Vikings player to sign with New Orleans this offseason, joining running back Latavius Murray and guard Nick Easton.

Sherels became an NFL survivor and locker room favorite since going undrafted in 2010 out of Minnesota. He almost instantly grew into one of the NFL’s best punt returners, ranking top 10 in average during five of the last six seasons. His 2,447 career punt return yards leads the Vikings franchise. He appeared in 124 games.

The Vikings decided to move on from Sherels, who averaged 10.6 yards per punt return and scored five touchdowns in his career.

http://www.startribune.com/source-l...sherels-agrees-to-deal-with-saints/507482822/

Go Gophers!!

Might earn a Super Bowl with them. Good luck!

Was bound to happen eventually but glad to see Marcus is going to be able to keep on collecting an NFL check somewhere, even if it is the Saints.

Hard to believe he is entering his 10th year in the NFL. Unreal that an undersized defensive back with a limited skill set has survived this long in a league that routinely chews up and spits out really talented players. He found his niche as a punt returner and has done a fantastic job. Really glad he was able to spend the bulk of his career with the Vikings.

Selfishly, I'd like to keep him with the Vikings, but best of luck in New Orleans.

In the end....the Vikings didn't offer him a contract and the Saints did.

Consummate team player and great person period. Walk-on to starter for Gophs, undrafted to key special teams player with the Purple. Absolutely worth every penny they paid him and more. Smart, opportunist punt returner who could break it for a TD. Holds the Purple record for punts returned for TDs. Easily top-5 gunner over the past 9 years in the NFL.

I don’t really watch the Vikes anymore but how many salary cap casualties will they need to account for that snazzy new QB?

I don’t really watch the Vikes anymore but how many salary cap casualties will they need to account for that snazzy new QB?

Guessing you'd need to take both shoes off...;)

Seriously though, they seemed to be caught flat-footed in some respects with renegotiating some contracts to make some more room.

The crazy thing is that by the end of his contract, Cousins's salary will be pretty average for an established qb.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It seems every former Viking signs with the saints...

Happy for him but will miss seeing him in purple. Always amazed me how small and fearless he was returning punts.

The crazy thing is that by the end of his contract, Cousins's salary will be pretty average for an established qb.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Is this sort of like how a 55k BMW will have equivalent value of a Civic after 3 years?

Top Bottom