Minnesota’s Jarvis Johnson, brother of former ISU star, finishing up unique career

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Ames Tribune:

Growing up in Minnesota, former Iowa State women’s basketball player Seanna Johnson and the neighborhood kids would spend their days playing outside. All the girls would jump rope or hopscotch with each other, and all the boys would play pick-up basketball.

Well, all the boys, plus Johnson.

“I was literally the only girl — all the other girls were jumping rope,” she told the Ames Tribune. “I was the only one on the court.”

It wasn’t an innate passion for the game that drew Johnson to the sport, however. In fact, as a kid, she was more interested in dance or cheerleading. Rather, it was her younger brother, Jarvis, who insisted on including his sister.

Despite complaints from other boys, Jarvis always selected Seanna first when picking teams.

“He made sure he passed me the ball,” she told the Tribune. “He made sure I scored. I always didn’t wanna shoot, but he was like, ‘I’m gonna keep passing it to you, shoot the ball.’ Because they always left me open.”

Her interest in the sport grew from there, and she became one of the most prolific scorers in ISU history during her career that spanned from 2013-17. She started every game for four years, averaged 13.6 points per game for her career and earned All-Big 12 honors.

During her career, she, once again, was buoyed by Jarvis.

Now a senior at Minnesota — a No. 10 seed which will play No. 7 seed Louisville at 11:15 a.m. today in the first round of the NCAA tournament at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines — Jarvis has had a tragic, unique and ultimately uplifting four years with the Gophers.

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...of-former-isu-star-finishing-up-unique-career

Go Gophers!!

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Good for Jarvis. Still one of my favorite players despite the fact that he hasn't even played for us. Hopefully he can have a successful coaching career.

Top Bottom