So ... How Do We Beat State?

jmag21

Reaction score
First we need a healthy Murphy obviously, and Stockman is pretty essential too, imo. We obviously need to hit threes again. If we can grind it with Michigan State, and force them into long jumpers, and then secure defensive boards, we'll have a shot. I think if we get a healthy front court, we have a chance to keep it close, and then anything can happen. Bradley worked their offense, made shots, and limited MSU. Hopefully we can do the same, only with a win at the end.

Play like they did today and they’ll be in it at the end

I would try scoring more points than them, and see how that works.

Just a comment. Congratulations Gophers great win. BUT pots on the NCAA. Why is it we have to play another conference school in the second round? if those three officials are some of the best, wow, college basketball is in bad shape.

Just a comment. Congratulations Gophers great win. BUT pots on the NCAA. Why is it we have to play another conference school in the second round? if those three officials are some of the best, wow, college basketball is in bad shape.

B1G is undefeated, that is not allowed by the NCAA.

Gophers are going to beat MSU, GET TO THE ELITE 8 and then get crushed by Duke. That is my bracket and i believe it with all my brain. Just like the matchups until Duke.

Gophers are going to beat MSU, GET TO THE ELITE 8 and then get crushed by Duke. That is my bracket and i believe it with all my brain. Just like the matchups until Duke.

This doesn't make me feel better. Sorry, your predictions (12-8 minimum, easy victory at Illinois) have not been spot on.

We have not shot 3's like this in back-to-back games all year. Now a gimpy Murphy. I don't really see it. Will need moster games from Coffey and Oturu.

This doesn't make me feel better. Sorry, your predictions (12-8 minimum, easy victory at Illinois) have not been spot on.

We have not shot 3's like this in back-to-back games all year. Now a gimpy Murphy. I don't really see it. Will need moster games from Coffey and Oturu.

well your constant pessimism hasn't really proved to be worthy either

Bradley had the right idea, but for some reason they chose not to hit 67% of their 3s in the second half

The good news is that all the pressure is on Michigan State, everyone has them penciled in for that elite 8 matchup with Duke so anything short of that would be a major disappointment for them.

As for us, the players just need to go in there loose and let it all hang out. Play similar to how they played today against Louisville and there is a definite chance to spring the upset. MSU is a really good team, but in a single game anything can happen.

well your constant pessimism hasn't really proved to be worthy either

It's not pessimism to say we can't rely on making 11 3's again. If Murph and Matz can go, we have a shot. Some teams are good math-ups though (Purdue) and some are not (Maryland/MSU). I really wish we were playing Kentucky or Tennessee instead, as we should be.

If Coffey is serious about testing NBA waters, Saturday is the time to show it.

This. He played well today but he needs to be even better Saturday for us to win. It will be a big-time primetime game with high stakes. I am cautiously optimistic that he can will this team to a win agaisnt a flawed and banged up MSU.

Start by playing tenacious defense and attack the basket. It may seem like a fluke on the 3 point shooting today, but Louisville gave them more open looks than they have seen all season. They played with confidence and a mission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get Matz back would be a great start

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There are three ways to beat Michigan state.
They are a vertical team. They are straight up and down the court. They play tough and straightforward both offensively and defensively.

1. You play their way except your horses beat their horses. Same style, just better players or your players have better games. We don’t have the horses.
2. They have been beat by teams with a few great passing and shooting perimeter players. It’s horizontal crisp passing, deft ball handling and the ability to go cross court to get an open wingshot that can take them down. Get them to play non linear defense. Unfortunately we don’t have a good backcourt offensively like that.
3. You can get their bigs lateral. Make them move side to side. Similar to the aforementioned guard play but in a smaller area. We do have an athletic front court. We can get space down low by being athletic, moving constantly and creating open opportunities in the paint. The lateral movement low can cause gaps in the defense to shoot or can collapse outside coverage and get open looks for threes. This is the only way to beat them for us. It’s going to tire our front court starters to be active, so we need at least 5 front court guys to show up Saturday.

We would also need a sprinkling of good luck

Last edited:

There are only 2 ways to beat State:

1. Score more points than them.
2. Hold them to fewer points than us.

There are three ways to beat Michigan state.
They are a vertical team. They are straight up and down the court. They play tough and straightforward both offensively and defensively.

1. You play their way except your horses beat their horses. Same style, just better players or your players have better games. We don’t have the horses.
2. They have been beat by teams with a few great passing and shooting perimeter players. It’s horizontal crisp passing, deft ball handling and the ability to go cross court to get an open wingshot that can take them down. Get them to play non linear defense. Unfortunately we don’t have a good backcourt offensively like that.
3. You can get their bigs lateral. Make them move side to side. Similar to the aforementioned guard play but in a smaller area. We do have an athletic front court. We can get space down low by being athletic, moving constantly and creating open opportunities in the paint. The lateral movement low can cause gaps in the defense to shoot or can collapse outside coverage and get open looks for threes. This is the only way to beat them for us. It’s going to tire our front court starters to be active, so we need at least 5 front court guys to show up Saturday.

We would also need a sprinkling of good luck

I totally agree with this. In addition, we will need to be on the high end of our three-point shooting percentage again, and limit turnovers. Tall order, but it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a matchup problem with Winston. I don't want Gabe chasing him around, because it'll likely take Gabe off his offensive game. That happened against Maryland, Michigan, and some of the other teams we've played with a lightning quick PG. But if not Gabe, I don't know who guards him. You can't really zone MSU because they'll kill you on the offensive glass.

I don't like the matchup considering they beat us as badly as they did when we last played.

honestly....whats his face played like 30 minutes a game that broke his leg right? You can finish a game and win with adrenaline (big ten title) or beat a 15 seed in the first round of the tourney with adrenaline....but montana showed us their weakness and we should be able to take advantage of it....there is a reason izzo hates having to play us..... we get our butts kicked by michigan st once about once a year and then either beat them or play them close under pitino.... i like our chances

go gophers

This. He played well today but he needs to be even better Saturday for us to win. It will be a big-time primetime game with high stakes. I am cautiously optimistic that he can will this team to a win agaisnt a flawed and banged up MSU.

The problem is that the Gophers are even more banged up.

We have a matchup problem with Winston. I don't want Gabe chasing him around, because it'll likely take Gabe off his offensive game. That happened against Maryland, Michigan, and some of the other teams we've played with a lightning quick PG. But if not Gabe, I don't know who guards him. You can't really zone MSU because they'll kill you on the offensive glass.

Dupree can guard Winston. He is a good defender and quicker than Gabe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting Matz back would definitely help. I think we need to play near perfect ball to beat them, but with this team anything can happen. An unknown factor is, with Michigan playing the game before us, how many maze and blue fans switch to maroon and gold and make it really feel like a REAL home game? The crowd could be a big factor in carrying them on to the next step. Go Gopher!!

Getting Matz back would definitely help. I think we need to play near perfect ball to beat them, but with this team anything can happen. An unknown factor is, with Michigan playing the game before us, how many maze and blue fans switch to maroon and gold and make it really feel like a REAL home game? The crowd could be a big factor in carrying them on to the next step. Go Gopher!!

good point. So we need Michigan to win so they can be in a good mood and cheer for us. I'll take it

The good news is that all the pressure is on Michigan State, everyone has them penciled in for that elite 8 matchup with NDSU so anything short of that would be a major disappointment for them.

As for us, the players just need to go in there loose and let it all hang out. Play similar to how they played today against Louisville and there is a definite chance to spring the upset. MSU is a really good team, but in a single game anything can happen.

FIFY. :rolleyes:

I never would have thought of this but they definitely have to be bitter after 3 L's to them this year

Incorporate "Flubber" into the soles of the Gophers basketball shoes the way Fred MacMurray did in the movie, "The Absent Minded Professor".

Q: How do we beat MSU?
A: Score more points than MSU.

Q: How do we score more points than MSU? That is the real question.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom