Murphy is the greatest Gopher all time

bballjunkie

Reaction score
How can anyone argue this. He is now number 2 all time in career points scored along with number 1 in career rebounds. Hail to the Murph!! What a pleasure to have watched this young man play. In my memory he has never once complained to a ref about a call. That in itself says a lot. He has never missed a game and from what I heard Pitino say recently he has never missed a practice. Just an amazing person all around. Thank you Shaka Smart for leaving VCU and allowing Murph to come to Minnesota and wear Maroon and Gold. I bet there are 13 head coaches in the Big 10 glad his days at Minnesota are finished.

He's a very easy player to cheer for. Works super hard, doesn't complain, and totally maximizes his skill set and body.

How can anyone argue this. He is now number 2 all time in career points scored along with number 1 in career rebounds. Hail to the Murph!! What a pleasure to have watched this young man play. In my memory he has never once complained to a ref about a call. That in itself says a lot. He has never missed a game and from what I heard Pitino say recently he has never missed a practice. Just an amazing person all around. Thank you Shaka Smart for leaving VCU and allowing Murph to come to Minnesota and wear Maroon and Gold. I bet there are 13 head coaches in the Big 10 glad his days at Minnesota are finished.

This is particularly easy to agree with. Hail to the Murph!

If all you are looking at is college stats maybe...

Full Basketball basketball career then It's hard to argue against Kevin McHale. NBA 50th anniversary team. 3X NBA champion. Number retired by the Celtics... yada yada yada

There will always be debate on the greatest player of all time as you have players from different eras and what not. That said, there is zero doubt that Murphy is near the top of the list of all time Gopher greats and a very strong case can definitely be made for him as the greatest.

Will be next to impossible to replace him next year because he has such a unique skill set. Has been a pleasure to watch him in Maroon and Gold and glad we get at least one more opportunity to do so on Saturday.

Full Basketball basketball career then It's hard to argue against Kevin McHale. NBA 50th anniversary team. 3X NBA champion. Number retired by the Celtics... yada yada yada

Just talking Gopher career, I don't think anyone can disagree with his career in Maroon and Gold. McHale was a better pro than a college player mainly due to his surrounding cast in my opinion.

Mychal Thompson was a good enough college player to be the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft...

Murphy is one of my all-time favorites, but we've had some other great ones come through the Barn.

Very happy his senior season didn't end like Nate Mason's. Feel great for him, Pree & Jarvis to get to go to the dance and get a win.

There will always be debate on the greatest player of all time as you have players from different eras and what not. That said, there is zero doubt that Murphy is near the top of the list of all time Gopher greats and a very strong case can definitely be made for him as the greatest.

Will be next to impossible to replace him next year because he has such a unique skill set. Has been a pleasure to watch him in Maroon and Gold and glad we get at least one more opportunity to do so on Saturday.

I was so hoping he would either get the 17 points today to go into 2nd place or that we would win so he gets the chance next game. The injury almost cost him that place. How funny the shot that got him there was a 3 pointer.

What else would we be looking at at this juncture?

Mychal Thompson was a good enough college player to be the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft...

Murphy is one of my all-time favorites, but we've had some other great ones come through the Barn.

Don't get me wrong I loved watching Bells Thompson play, my all time favorite until Murph came along. The man from the Bahama's was as smooth as silk and a treat to watch. But what Murph has done with an undersized body is nothing short of amazing. In my book Murphy is #1 now and Mychal Thompson is #2.

I love Jordan, but let's not get mental here.

Murphy got more out of his size and skill set then anyone in recent memory. The stats don’t lie. Jordan is probably a legit 6’6” and puts up rebounding numbers guys 4” taller can’t/don’t. Been a pleasure to watch and his jersey will be in the rafters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THE greatest? Not sure.

Mt. Rushmore of Gopher Basketball? Without a doubt. YES.

Jersey should most definitely be retired.

No, he is not the best Gopher player ever. It isn't even close. Not even top 5.

Interesting to hear the comments that the Louisville coach makes about Murphy in the Pre-game press conference. He was asked by a TC reporter about how much of a pressence he makes for only being 6-5 or 6-6. Coach said "is he only that tall, he looks 6-10 on film....

Would seem silly to compare a college player to nba

Why? Its all about opinion and point of view. There are players in the NBA right now who are younger then him.

There are alot of ways to rate someone among the greatest _____ of all time. People call Tony Dungy the greatest Gopher of all time and it has little to do with his time as a college quarterback.

No, he is not the best Gopher player ever. It isn't even close. Not even top 5.

Everyone is allowed an opinion. I have been a die hard fan for 50+ years and in my opinion he has passed Mychal Thompson on on stats that are hard to argue against. Mychal played in a different era and he dominated with his skill set but also the fact he was 6' 10" when the league didn't have every team with three guys that size on the roster like they do today. Willie Burton was really fun to watch as was Bobby Jackson and Trent Tucker, I could go on and on. My question to you is if you don't think Murph is even top 5, who the hell is?

Love the Murph, but if I had to pick one, it would be Mychal Thompson.

No argument that Murphy has done more with less than anyone. Certainly one of the all-time greats, and they can't retire his number fast enough.

JTG

Folks are also forgetting about Lou Hudson. He unfortunately played at the same time as Cazzie Russell and when only the Big Ten champion went into the NCAA Tournament.

THE greatest? Not sure.

No, it’s in great doubt. Willie Burton is sooooo much better than Murph. Jordan is tough and hard working and easy to cheer for but not close to best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hudson, Thompson, Jackson, Tucker, and Burton were all better. Murphy is already not top 5. We should retire his number though.

Kevin McHale also had guest spots on Cheers, so there's that, too.

THE greatest? Not sure.

How many players can be on the Mount Rushmore? Can they be the same position? If it’s 5 regardless of position

1) Kevin McHale
2) Bobby Jackson
3) Mychal Thompson
4) Lou Hudson
5 Trent Tucker

That’s my take.

Top Bottom