Has Pitino turned the corner?

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Will we look back as this being the game that turned the corner for Pitino and the Gopher program?

- first game of the tourney with a large national tv audience
- won big against a marquee program
- well coached game and excellent game plan
- tough hard nose defense
- ability to play inside and around the arc
- very few turn overs

This has got to really help with recruiting. A recruit can picture themselves getting playing time with such an apparent lack of depth (no bench scoring). He still might not get all the MN guys he wants, but it sure has to look good for transfer recruits.

The U’s future is hangs on the ability to get better recruits and this game could be a game changer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know about turning a corner but it should definitely silence any remaining people still calling for him to get fired.

Solid core of players coming back next year (assuming Coffey stays), but replacing Murphy will be very hard to do.

Hopefully, Matthew watched his brother get significant meaningful minutes. And all the more he will get on Saturday.

Grant, Isaiah, Skogman and Frederico all were tuned in I hope! Arizona needs to fire Miller soon and Stanford needs to fire their coach as well!

The old trying to turn one win into more than it actual is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The defense in the Purdue game and this game is as good as I have seen. If he can get them to play D like this on a regular basis I feel much better about the future.

My issue with Pitino is how he's amassed his roster. Either he's had really bad luck or he isn't very good at building his team. He has a few good players, but it seems they are mix-matched together. After 6 years, you'd hope that he'd have his "system" down and not be stuck without a servicable point guard. The future looks does look brighter with Carr eligible next year but if Washington is gone or not improved, then it'd be the same thing again. I hope we can pick up some missing pieces after the season as if we do, there should be no reason to not make the tournament again next year... unless we lose Coffey.

A lot of careers turn on a few games. Monson's career went south on the Illinois game years ago. It is not THE turning point, but this is program momentum for a young coach.

Mr Positive on football board, defending all things PJ, needs to RTB on the basketball board and support the coach - he is our coach.

I was off the Pitino bandwagon for a good chunk of the conference season. It's not this one game that has changed my mind, but the performance of the team over the last 3 weeks while their backs were against the wall. Quite impressive, imo.

just can't leave it alone. can you? it isn't just one game. Pitino has 22 reasons he should be back.

If I told you at the start of the season, the Gophers would win 22 games and a NCAA tourney game, you would have said "sign me up". and if that is not the case....cheer for bucky

just can't leave it alone. can you? it isn't just one game. Pitino has 22 reasons he should be back.

If I told you at the start of the season, the Gophers would win 22 games and a NCAA tourney game, you would have said "sign me up". and if that is not the case....cheer for bucky

Said all along he should be back, but you do not decide for others if a fan has to cheer for bucky if we did not sign up for 22-13 and a NCAA tourney win at the start of the season. I am a huge fan and actually expected no worse than 13-7 in year 6 with a trip to the sweet 16. Having larger expectations than you have does not make me less of a fan.

I'm of the belief that careers are built to be successful slowly.
Careers can be ruined quickly.

You can only win your next game to improve your career, and practice to that point.
You could do something this evening without a game going on to ruin your career.

What I will say is to repeat what Tollackson said on the radio: that in the last 3 or so weeks this team has found something. I don't think it means any more or less than that, but that's something!!

I think he needs to come up with an inbounds play or two before he can truly turn the corner!!!

They have definitely played their best basketball over the last three weeks - including their best game of the season today.

Said all along he should be back, but you do not decide for others if a fan has to cheer for bucky if we did not sign up for 22-13 and a NCAA tourney win at the start of the season. I am a huge fan and actually expected no worse than 13-7 in year 6 with a trip to the sweet 16. Having larger expectations than you have does not make me less of a fan.

No doubt, but being overly negative and tyring to downplay a moment that many of us are excited for means you are opening yourself up for some backlash. Many who are overly positive on these boards get plenty of criticism and the opposite end of the spectrum will get similar treatment. Don't like it? Forums are probably not a great use of your time then.

P.S: Built, I think you are mostly a fair and logical fan, I am referring to the other poster.

It’s a joke that you freak out over one game. Yet you’ll jump all over everyone who freaks out over one loss.

The question is whether they can build on this and take the program up in the world to where it has the potential to be. This is a nice little run, but it's not the ultimate goal.

No doubt, but being overly negative and tyring to downplay a moment that many of us are excited for means you are opening yourself up for some backlash. Many who are overly positive on these boards get plenty of criticism and the opposite end of the spectrum will get similar treatment. Don't like it? Forums are probably not a great use of your time then.

P.S: Built, I think you are mostly a fair and logical fan, I am referring to the other poster.

You can refer to me all you want.

It was a great win and a great moment for the the program. It’s ridiculous that the OP who turns on posters for freaking out over one loss does the exact same thing he rants against over one win.

It’s a joke that you freak out over one game. Yet you’ll jump all over everyone who freaks out over one loss.

Did I say anything in my post about 1 game??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hopefully, Matthew watched his brother get significant meaningful minutes. And all the more he will get on Saturday.

Grant, Isaiah, Skogman and Frederico all were tuned in I hope! Arizona needs to fire Miller soon and Stanford needs to fire their coach as well!
The Matthew Hurt ship had sailed. Staff hasn't had contact with him in months (per Ryan James on the last TGB podcast). I still think we end up with a solid class for next season to go along with a solid returning core.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The question is whether they can build on this and take the program up in the world to where it has the potential to be. This is a nice little run, but it's not the ultimate goal.

100% right. We shouldn't be granting a lifetime contract to Pitino after the recent run. It's a reminder of how things can change from one game to the next and not to freak out either way based on a singular result.

BB ..... I just cant see complaining about a team that just won an NCAA tourney game....but s12 seems to always complain

BB ..... I just cant see complaining about a team that just won an NCAA tourney game....but s12 seems to always complain

Comprehension clearly not your strong suit.

I did not and have not complained about the win.

Lets hope. Hope recruiting picks up from this now.

Comprehension clearly not your strong suit.

I did not and have not complained about the win.

This is positive. What ever.

Great perspective.

The postseason absolutely trumps the regular season. This was one nice NCAA win, and that wasn't enough to save Tubby's job. It probably isn't enough to keep Pitino off the hot seat next year. However, one MORE win -- a Sweet Sixteen appearance -- does change things. It would change the perception on everything.

My issue with Pitino is how he's amassed his roster. Either he's had really bad luck or he isn't very good at building his team. He has a few good players, but it seems they are mix-matched together. After 6 years, you'd hope that he'd have his "system" down and not be stuck without a servicable point guard. The future looks does look brighter with Carr eligible next year but if Washington is gone or not improved, then it'd be the same thing again. I hope we can pick up some missing pieces after the season as if we do, there should be no reason to not make the tournament again next year... unless we lose Coffey.

He has three point guards on the roster. Jarvis not getting medically cleared to play is not Pitino's fault, nor is Carr not getting a waiver the UMN clearly expected him to get.
Then you have Isaiah, who was POY in NY and fairly highly recruited. The fact that he can't play defense in the BIG or hit a three was not something most people saw coming. I thought he would at least be as good as Al Nolen, who also had no outside shot to speak of until his SR. year.

The postseason absolutely trumps the regular season. This was one nice NCAA win, and that wasn't enough to save Tubby's job. It probably isn't enough to keep Pitino off the hot seat next year. However, one MORE win -- a Sweet Sixteen appearance -- does change things. It would change the perception on everything.

This^^^ and with Bradley hanging in there with MSU, you never know.

Top Bottom