Has Pitino turned the corner?

The recent victories have me feeling a little more optimistic about Pitino's coaching. But can he ever get a roster that has some depth or a collective group of guys that can shoot?

If we make it to the Sweet Sixteen this year, then I would answer this question. Otherwise he's a top 32 coach.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

He can get to the elite 8 and will not be considered a top 32 coach. You need a really great body of work to do that.

Look, most of you are really overthinking this.

If you buy into the Eric Kaler / Norwood Teague / Board of Regents devised long-term plan for UofM revenue sports, you have to give Patino at least a few more years.

Now I know, I know this requires a huge leap of faith as it sprung from the fevered brows of the above mentioned Kaler, Teague and BoR. While it's true that Kaler is and has been mediocre at his job, and that Teaque was and is just a complete effing moron that no sane person should ever have hired and in the end became an embarrassment even to himself. And it is definitely the case that the BoR is comprised of the most feckless array that a feckless governor could come up with. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIME.

The history of bringing in big time proven or semi-proven fixers wasn't working (you could see the germ of this thinking in the successful hire and compensation of J Kill). The thought was to bring in younger guys and grow the programs, personnel and relationship with the state over time. This "over time" concept is critical to understanding the plan. Patino and Fleck weren't expected to turn things around quickly. They were expected to keep the arrows pointing in the right direction over time.

Now it's true that the institutional memory is fraying badly with the welcome departure of of Kaler (for the love of God is it really that hard to find a President of the UofM who actually has some long-term love and affection and familiarity with the state and the university from the nearly six million people who live here???). Teague is of course gone and Coyle might be a smart guy, but hopefully he was onboarded to this plan as it was so blatantly obvious when he was hired. Much unfortunately rest on the shoulders of the BofR. But again just because they are inept, doesn't mean that they might remember and hold to a pretty good plan - at least one that wasn't doomed to fail the same way as the others. I say there's a fifty fifty shot that they do the right thing. But then again I'm an optimist by nature. The programs aren't great, but the arrows are pointing in the right direction. That was the deal! I mean if somebody articulated a better plan (I mean a genuinely better plan - for instance Flip Saunders as long term coach) I'm all ears. But nobody's come up with one.

Lastly as an aside, I don't know about Coyle, but how difficult is it really to hire an AD who lives here and loves and cherishes the state and the U? All they have to do is get rich old people to give them money and hire and fire the right egomaniacs. We've got six million people here . . . . . . .

The recent victories have me feeling a little more optimistic about Pitino's coaching. But can he ever get a roster that has some depth or a collective group of guys that can shoot?

How he finishes this class will by e very important

We've got six million people here . . . . . . .

Six million people, at least two-thirds of whom would rather send kids to St Clod State, Mankato State. St. Johns, St. Thomas or out of state rather than to the Land Grant university that did so many great things to elevate the profile of Minnesota. Why?

Six million people, at least two-thirds of whom would rather send kids to St Clod State, Mankato State. St. Johns, St. Thomas or out of state rather than to the Land Grant university that did so many great things to elevate the profile of Minnesota. Why?

Wtf are you talking about? You do know that the U admissions is full every year. Not everyone can get into the U or they chose a school with lower costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they beat an injury depleted UCLA team in that first round

They were missing one player who was probably their 3rd- or 4th-best player. He was not their best player, despite what Ben Howland said to the media when he was attempting to justify the loss afterwards.

that was a shell of what they had earlier in their season

Coming into the Tournament, UCLA had gone 9-3 in the months of February and March, winning the Pac-12 regular season championship and losing to Oregon in the conference tournament.

Both of the things you said are very wrong, but that of course won't stop people from repeating these falsehoods over and over for years to come.

Not only is this very wrong, it's a moot point because a large majority of in-state applicants don't have the academic profile to be admitted to the U. Anyone who can fog a mirror can get into the other schools you mentioned.

Wtf are you talking about? You do know that the U admissions is full every year. Not everyone can get into the U or they chose a school with lower costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think he knows that

They were missing one player who was probably their 3rd- or 4th-best player. He was not their best player, despite what Ben Howland said to the media when he was attempting to justify the loss afterwards.

Coming into the Tournament, UCLA had gone 9-3 in the months of February and March, winning the Pac-12 regular season championship and losing to Oregon in the conference tournament.

Both of the things you said are very wrong, but that of course won't stop people from repeating these falsehoods over and over for years to come.

There you go spouting facts again, gets in the way of a good story. Funny how I remember this being the storyline, I didn't bother to look it up.

To quote another poster: “Are you out of your mind?”

Whoa, easy there big fella. Ain't no need for name callin.

Let me know next time and perhaps I can type slower for you and use smaller words.

There you go spouting facts again, gets in the way of a good story. Funny how I remember this being the storyline, I didn't bother to look it up.

Maybe no injuries but that UCLA team was talented but a mess internally. That would be difficult to argue. I'm not giving the win back and I don't think the internal chaos of teams we play should be used to downplay a win. That game can be played from a lot of angles. Most people realize that in many cases it's not who you play but when you play them. We won that day against UCLA. Period. We played them at the right time.

Lastly as an aside, I don't know about Coyle, but how difficult is it really to hire an AD who lives here and loves and cherishes the state and the U? All they have to do is get rich old people to give them money and hire and fire the right egomaniacs. We've got six million people here . . . . . . .

I enjoyed your post.

However, I would say that getting rich old people to give you money is a pretty important job and not as easy as you make it sound.

Turned the corner? Obviously from this game, our roster is a joke. If Pitino stays, he better improve the roster because it's so obvious we have only 4 or 5 players worthy of a scholarship. At year one? Fine. Year Two? Fine.... Year 3? Not good. Year 4? What???? Year 5? it's no longer bad luck, year 6? Pitino is clueless at what he wants his team to be.

I’m ready for Richard to go, honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly curious what did you expect from the season? We won a tourney game for the second time in 30 years and now we want him fired?

No one can blame Pitino for tonight's loss. Some of y'all need to join reality instead of living in a fantasy land.

Honestly if you didn’t want him gone yesterday you can’t want him gone today.

In this game the roster is:
Missing it’s best player
Coffey playing well.
3rd and 4th best player 0/11 shooting from field
5th best player 6 and 4
6th best player hurt (curry)
7th best player hurt (stockman)

We have no bench. We knew that before today. If your mind about pitino changed from this game you are irrational.
It is fine if you wanted to fire him before, but this game can’t change your mind.

Missing it’s best player
Coffey playing well.
5th best player 6 and 4

We have no bench. We knew that before today. If your mind about pitino changed from this game you are irrational.
It is fine if you wanted to fire him before, but this game can’t change your mind.

The propect of next year isn't great based on this game. Way too many iffy recruits on this team.

He's a very likable young coach. He's had some tough injury (think 2 years ago, Mason, Murphy now and of course Jarvis) and didn't get a waiver problems. He hasn't been great but he hasn't been bad. I'd really like to see better offensive sets and better recuiting but I can give him a couple more years.

The propect of next year isn't great based on this game. Way too many iffy recruits on this team.

Yeah. A little different preparing to play without Murphy for 6 month compared to one day.
Especially with already being short bigs due to injury. Team is missing 3 of its top 4 bigs.
I don’t think anyone is projecting a great team next year. They could be solid though.

Missing it’s best player
Coffey playing well.
5th best player 6 and 4

The fact that we have no bench is on him. He’s had 6 years, and hasn’t gotten it done. Next season is really gonna suck.

The fact that we have no bench is on him. He’s had 6 years, and hasn’t gotten it done. Next season is really gonna suck.

I don’t neccessarily disagree with this. In fact, I said it is okay if you already wanted him fired.
I’m saying if this game changed your mind you are silly

Don’t know why Coffey would come back next year. Another year of Rich coaching isn’t going to help his development.

How could you possibly know that?

No one can blame Pitino for tonight's loss. Some of y'all need to join reality instead of living in a fantasy land.

Who is to blame for the below .500 record in the Big 10.......which by way, we will be again next year!

Top Bottom