Has Pitino turned the corner?

Oturu Transfer/recruit
Curry Omersa
Coffey Williams Hurt
Kalscheur Willis
Carr Washington

Throw in another recruit or two, looks like a good team to me.

After watching Nevada play Florida idk about that. They looked liked the most undisciplined team I've seen all year.

They couldn't have possibly worse than us tonight. That's impossible, sir!

Fun some nights, pure hell others!

I want some top 5 finishes in the big 10 and some runs in the tourney. I know, I know...........it's coming with the current coach, LMAO

Can't say fer-sure if its coming. Today was fun, this year was fun. How long you been a fan?

Just being negative on your predictions is easy - here Ill show you:

"I predict that Goldteam will be an even worse fan next year than he is this year" Hows that for being negative?

I don’t think Pitino was ready to be the head coach of a Power 5 team when we hired him, and I think he made several recruiting mistakes when he began. But he is smart, and I think he is growing into the job. I’m hopeful that our strong finish will help him fill in next year’s class with solid recruits, which along with the transfers, will gives us a solid roster and something to build on. Unless we are prepared to invest big bucks to bring in someone who would be recognized as a clear upgrade, I think Pitino should be extended. An extension should help recruiting.

This was the pinnacle with this staff and it was an awesome year. We finished below .500 in the middle of the big 10 and got run out in the second round.

I guess here, that's party time. It was an ok year, but some think it was great.

I'm wanting more and don't see a chance with this staff.

Try opening your eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say fer-sure if its coming. Today was fun, this year was fun. How long you been a fan?

Just being negative on your predictions is easy - here Ill show you:

"I predict that Goldteam will be an even worse fan next year than he is this year" Hows that for being negative?

If you can't say for sure, why does it bother you if I'd like someone else? Why are you so NEGATIVE about me wanting someone else.

Better yet, why the hell do you care so much?

I don’t think Pitino was ready to be the head coach of a Power 5 team when we hired him, and I think he made several recruiting mistakes when he began. But he is smart, and I think he is growing into the job. I’m hopeful that our strong finish will help him fill in next year’s class with solid recruits, which along with the transfers, will gives us a solid roster and something to build on. Unless we are prepared to invest big bucks to bring in someone who would be recognized as a clear upgrade, I think Pitino should be extended. An extension should help recruiting.

Would Musselman be a clear upgrade?

We should have a good starting five next year, but the potential lack of depth is scary. We need a couple of big recruiting wins to keep the momentum going.

Cosign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Oturo, Gabe, Carr, Coffey, Curry is a pretty strong starting group. We will be alright. For those saying no depth, we played without three of our four bigs tonight. If MSU did that tonight, they would have looked awful. No one has depth to manage that.

I enjoyed your post.

However, I would say that getting rich old people to give you money is a pretty important job and not as easy as you make it sound.

Give me the business jet, a block of seats at midcourt, an open tap at the stadium club and the ability to get the spirit squad to show up and I (or you) could do the job

Why do people still think Curry is good and that he will be a solid starter? He was borderline awful this year and can’t stay healthy. I wouldn’t count on him for anything at this point.

Why do people still think Curry is good and that he will be a solid starter? He was borderline awful this year and can’t stay healthy. I wouldn’t count on him for anything at this point.

I tend to agree. The number of injuries he's had to endure is rather saddening, he really showed a lot of promise his freshman year.

Boy, the stupid horse sh!t flys are out tonight! It is the same group of Pitino haters, just go find another team to bash. You never listen to any logic and keep using the same old lines over and over again.

- When the B1G sends 8 teams to the dance, it is impossible for them all to have a winning conference record!
- Murphy and Mason were 3-star recruits out of high school and they were developed into all B1G players by Pitino (along with numerous other players)
- Just about all of the teams in the B1G play with three guards and we have at least three new guards playing next year.
- recruiting has changed with a heavy emphasis in Spring recruiting, there is still plenty of time for Pitino to add some very good players.
- etc...etc....etc..., but of course, you will never understand because you just want to complain!

Boy, the stupid horse sh!t flys are out tonight! It is the same group of Pitino haters, just go find another team to bash. You never listen to any logic and keep using the same old lines over and over again.

- When the B1G sends 8 teams to the dance, it is impossible for them all to have a winning conference record!
- Murphy and Mason were 3-star recruits out of high school and they were developed into all B1G players by Pitino (along with numerous other players)
- Just about all of the teams in the B1G play with three guards and we have at least three new guards playing next year.
- recruiting has changed with a heavy emphasis in Spring recruiting, there is still plenty of time for Pitino to add some very good players.
- etc...etc....etc..., but of course, you will never understand because you just want to complain!

I have a question for you and it's very simple.

Is it possible to want pitino gone because one believes the program can do much better? Yes or No

I agree 100% with this. I think he will/Is having more ups and downs than an experienced coach. Goldteam, I think you are perfectly entitiled to your opinion and I don't disagree with some of your points but I think you need to have a firm plan of who you want or it could end up being worse. Plus some them they have gotten in here I really thought would take it to the next level. I thought both Monson and Tubby were good hires, neither worked out how I thought they would. As for the pinnacle I really thought the 17-18 season if not for injuries and suspensions was a very good top 3 team in the BiG that could have made some serious tourney noise. I could see them getting back to that again if they can get a few things to click. Of course as you have pointed out that could also be unlikely to happen. Who knows?

Would Musselman be a clear upgrade?

If you would have asked me this a month ago, I would say absolutely. Now...not as sure, Nevada really stumbled to end the season and did not look impressive in the Conference or NCAA tourney.

As frustrated as I was during parts of this season, I got another perspective after reflecting on our returning players.

Murphy-Murph is Murph, known entity.
Coffey-missed the latter half of last season with injury and had surgery
Curry-missed the entire season with ACL tear, had a 2nd surgery at the start of this season
McBrayer-role player, but battled injury all of last season
Hurt-role player, doesn't play a whole lot
Washington-flashes of good, a lot of flashes of less than good
Harris-transferred. *Correction, confused Harris and Gilbert

So of our 5 returning major players, 3 of them did not play/missed a good chunk of the season/played through injury the whole season. Add to that, we had 3 incoming freshmen of which 2 started with 2 other transfers (one who did not play for a year, the other did not play major conference basketball). With all of that considered, I think the performance of this season was pretty dang good.

Last edited:

My concern for next year is that yeah we would love to assume Gabe/Oturu make a jump, show me one player that has under Pitino. Probably Mason but that is it. Murphy was a good player and all but after his freshman year we said
man if he gets that jumper and a better handle next year watch out!"
He just played his last game, still 0 jumpshot or handle. Who knows, maybe carr is awesome and willis is good and Curry gets healthy and Tre is good but that is a LOT of IF's.

Now into gopher bball purgatory for 8 months until hope springs eternal next fall!

"good player and all?"

All Big Ten, second most rebounds in conference history, second most points in school history, clearly the best rebounder this program has ever had, jersey hanging in rafters next year (hopefully). Yet we bring up his handle? Unbelievable.

I will just say this - the coach is responsible for the entire program. The good and the bad. If you're going to give the coach credit for things that worked, you also have to hold him accountable for things that didn't work.

IMHO, some people on this board want to give Pitino credit for what worked, and provide him excuses for what didn't work. And then there are some people who want to hold Pitino accountable for what didn't work, and want to discount the things that did work.

I have said before, I like Pitino's personality. he seems like a good guy. But his offense bogs down far too often, and roster management has been a constant issue.

Maybe he doesn't have the right mix of assistants. Maybe Pitino will improve with age and experience. But there is a lot of room for improvement.

I'm real.

I called below .500 in the big 10 this year and was mocked. I'm calling for the same next year, too.

I'm so pumped that is as good as we can be.

the national media predicated us to finish in the bottom 3 or four in the Big10... most fans on here thought we were a fringe bubble team at best... you're prediction was not special or unique.

I have a question for you and it's very simple.

Is it possible to want pitino gone because one believes the program can do much better? Yes or No

Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it's sad that we have such low expectations for our team. All of the excuses people make for why we should keep Pitino, I am just mystified. The M does not stand for mediocrity.

Who you got lined up for us as the next coach? Musselman perhaps?

Why is this part of the decision? That is a totally separate issue. You don't decide to stay with your wife because you don't have anyone else lined up

Why is this part of the decision? That is a totally separate issue. You don't decide to stay with your wife because you don't have anyone else lined up

You were the little league coach that is in the parking lot in a shouting match with his 12 YO before every practice and game - right? You know, the one that turned every season into a living hell for the players and families in their quest for some glory that was lost in their past? Everyone is uncomfortable but the coach still stairs down the parents on his way to the field oblivious that while everyone else was having fun - the season slipped past and all he remembers was how his son walked in the run causing them to lose the championship.

Really sad - everyone wanted to win, all the other coaches worked hard and rolled with their issues. Most would have been happy to be in the championship. Course - what do they know... They don't have the same standards as you.

Top Bottom