Zemek: Richard Pitino wants to stay with Minnesota, continue building the Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Zemek:

This is Pitino’s second NCAA Tournament appearance at Minnesota. His first, in 2017, did not produce a win. Kermit Davis and Middle Tennessee bounced Minnesota in the round of 64, a 12-over-5 upset. Clearly, being able to win one NCAA game would, by itself, advance the Minnesota basketball project Pitino is trying to develop.

Pitino’s job should be safe for another season, but in terms of looking into the future, keep this point in mind: Tubby Smith — who came through the Rick Pitino coaching tree and was Richard Pitino’s immediate predecessor at Minnesota — left the program after winning an NCAA Tournament game in 2013. The program and the coach were both exhausted in their relationship. Both parties needed a change, and Richard Pitino was the product of that change.

If Pitino doesn’t beat Louisville — meaning that he will still have zero NCAA Tournament wins after six seasons on the job — winning one NCAA game in a future season, if that is all the Gophers achieve, might not offer an ironclad guarantee of long-term job security.

Beating Louisville is not important in terms of “winning one for Dad.” It is important because Rick Pitino’s son really needs to bolster his Minnesota resume sooner rather than later.

https://cbbtoday.com/now/richard-pi...nnesota-continue-building-the-golden-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino wants to stay? I'm sure he could bolt to a mid-major. At this point, I'm not sure a power conference school would take him.

Both parties needed a change? Sorry biased writer, but Tubby got canned.

Imagine if this had been his third consecutive trip to the NCAAs! Reggie Lynch had he avoided suspension, would be the Gopher all-time blocked shot leader. Had the injury bug avoided Coffey, McBrayer and Mason, we could have drawn better recruits and possibly be on our way to a real successful program!

Even now, we are like one or two recruits away from moving into a higher rent district in the B1G.

I think he has done a decent job.

Top Bottom