STrib: Departures leave Gophers hockey with younger squad next season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Sure, the Gophers’ season ended early thanks to a controversial call, and the team lost its starting goaltender to the NHL and could potentially lose its top scorer to the pros as well. But that eventful end to the year, that transpired in just the past few days, isn’t what’s on coach Bob Motzko’s mind.

“Nobody feels sorry for the Minnesota Gophers right now, I can tell you that,” Motzko said. “We’ve got to move forward.”

Motzko spoke Tuesday, reviewing his first season at the helm of the Gophers while also hinting toward the future. And while he wouldn’t share many details, such as his thoughts on what incoming goaltender could fill in for Mat Robson, he did say his staff spent four hours at 3M Arena at Mariucci on Monday emptying their pens of ink while mapping out the future.

Here’s the general idea: The Gophers are losing nine seniors plus Robson (and potentially Rem Pitlick), which could leave the team without a huge leadership group, a starting goaltender and their leading scorer.

Even if Pitlick stays, the senior class would have just three members. With the eight freshmen this season plus the incoming recruits, the Gophers could have more than 20 underclassmen on the roster.

“The first thing I said when I got hired: … ‘We have to get older,’ And the first thing we’re going to do is we’re going to get younger,” Motzko said. “But we are going to get older. It’s just not as quick as I wanted.”

http://www.startribune.com/departures-leave-gophers-hockey-with-younger-squad-next-season/507384362/

Go Gophers!!

Because of that, especially if Rem leaves, people need to understand that next year could actually be a step back in terms of record. There should still be a good number of wins and some exciting hockey. Then, in 20-21 when the majority of the team are sophomores and juniors and a number one goalie has emerged, watch out.

Because of that, especially if Rem leaves, people need to understand that next year could actually be a step back in terms of record. There should still be a good number of wins and some exciting hockey. Then, in 20-21 when the majority of the team are sophomores and juniors and a number one goalie has emerged, watch out.

Unfortunately, I don't think people will understand that and the casual fan will see the record. The team will be young and at times, this season, was carried by a stellar goalie. The Defense gap could be more evident next season with a new goalie.

Top Bottom