2019 NCAA Tournament Other Games Thread

Al Nolen will remain my favorite player of all-time, but Carson Edwards is sweet

This is one of the best tournaments I've watched. So many amazing games.

Best game of the Tourney right there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Missed over and back call at end of regulation?

Easy cover -4

I think the officials screwed Purdue pretty good in this one, in general.

In particular it looked to me like a UVA player swatted the ball back toward the mid-court, it went over the mid-court line, and UVA grabbed it and pushed it up to #25 who hit the game tying shot.

Why was this not over and back? I did not see any player from Purdue touch the ball.

Also they were calling every single moving screen by big guys outside all year long, and tonight #33 was allowed to set several moving screens, and they were not even close.

Last edited:

In particular it looked to me like a UVA player swatted the ball back toward the mid-court, it went over the mid-court line, and UVA grabbed it and pushed it up to #25 who hit the game tying shot.

Why was this not over and back? I did not see any player from Purdue touch the ball.

Also they were calling every single moving screen by big guys outside all year long, and tonight #33 was allowed to set several moving screens, and they were not even close.

My assumption is that a free throw works like taking the ball out under your own basket and throwing it into the backcourt. Since it's a dead ball at the shot, there is no position established in the front court.

The tap off the free throw? I assume because possession wasn't established.

There was some thought Edwards would return. Guessing he has made himself lots of money the last week.

Refereeing has been suspect in all Elite 8 games, so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't think the FT is over-and-back but UVa certainly got several calls down the stretch.

Dammit Purdue, you had them dead to rights but couldn’t finish them off. A huge Cline missed free throw and the inability by your bigs to block out on an intentionally missed free throw killed you. Man that sucks, I really liked that Boilers team (Haarms notwithstanding).

Painter is pure class.

I love Painter. I was rooting so hard for Purdue.

He did mess up though. Having Eifert in there instead of Williams on that last rebound was a bad mistake. Allowed that chaotic play to send to overtime.

I felt so conflicted. I really needed Virginia to win for my bracket and my wife's bracket in our family & friends' pool. Been a long time since either one of us had a legitimate shot to win. But I am also a Big Ten fan. It's really hard for me to root against any Big Ten team not named Wisconsin.

Great game. Cline hits the second free throw and they win.

That’s one thing I noticed about uva. They set a ton of off ball screens and the officials were letting them get away with a lot of movement in them. It made it very tough for the Purdue defenders to get around the screens.

I love Painter. I was rooting so hard for Purdue.

He did mess up though. Having Eifert in there instead of Williams on that last rebound was a bad mistake. Allowed that chaotic play to send to overtime.

^This. First he couldn’t hold his rebounding position, then he didn’t guard anyone on the ensuing scramble, leaving Haarms having to cover two guys under the basket.

One of the wilder games I’ve seen in a while, especially considering what was at stake.

Guy battled through the ankle injury and Edwards was unreal. Tough tough tough Purdue loss

The tap off the free throw? I assume because possession wasn't established.

Correct. Ball was never possessed. Not sure why this would ever be over and back. No more than on a live ball rebound where the offensive team never gains possessions until the ball ends up in the back court. Weird play but officials got it right.

Turns out Jerome committed a pretty egregious lane violation on the missed free throw that led to the tying shot in regulation. Hard for the refs to call it when all three of them are looking at the ball. Shouldn’t one have his eyes fixed on the shooter?

CAF17104-B011-4C5A-B7D9-8452303734D6.jpg

http://youtu.be/UHVOFjx4Tfc

Turns out fouling up 3 is a bad strategy if executed poorly

Turns out fouling up 3 is a bad strategy if executed poorly

This x10000000000

I don't mind the strategy but you better d@mn well execute.

Oh and the missed free throw cost the game too. Hit that one and it's over.

Last edited:

Turns out Jerome committed a pretty egregious lane violation on the missed free throw that led to the tying shot in regulation. Hard for the refs to call it when all three of them are looking at the ball. Shouldn’t one have his eyes fixed on the shooter?

View attachment 6080

That all overlooks the travels, the ob calls the bumps and shoves that occur during the game. Big deal, humans play, humans ref.

That all overlooks the travels, the ob calls the bumps and shoves that occur during the game. Big deal, humans play, humans ref.

Which is why I would get rid of reviews entirely. It was surprising and nice that they didn't go to the monitor at all, particularly when Guy stepped out of bounds. Maybe they went on Diakite's buzzer beater but they were too busy showing the replays to mention it.

One of the wilder games I’ve seen in a while, especially considering what was at stake.

Guy battled through the ankle injury and Edwards was unreal. Tough tough tough Purdue loss

It was a tough loss and I was rooting for Purdue. They haven't been to the final four since 1980.

I was impressed with the hustle and quickness of Virginia's players down the stretch though. They really went after loose and contested balls and got two critical steals on consecutive Purdue possessions late in the game. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Virginia win the championship. They've never won one; in fact, they've never reached the final game. They've had two final four appearances: one during Ralph Sampson's soph year and one the year after he left.

I thought the last play was a decent call by Painter but I don't understand why Edwards decided to dribble down the sideline. He had an open lane between two VA players and would have had more space to drive and make an easier pass to handle.

Precisely the unbiased, detached take I would expect from you when it involves the Bennetts. I bet you cared about the rules when Purdue’s 3 at the buzzer in the first half was taken away from them despite there being no strong video evidence to overturn the original call, particularly if humans play and humans ref, right?

I can't remember a tournament where there have been so many games where it's been a shame someone has to lose; when I've cheered against my financial (pool) interests; where I've been borderline nauseous when a team loses (e.g. Purdue) and I'd have been just as nauseous had the other team lost.

I can't remember a tournament where there have been so many games where it's been a shame someone has to lose; when I've cheered against my financial (pool) interests; where I've been borderline nauseous when a team loses (e.g. Purdue) and I'd have been just as nauseous had the other team lost.

As much as people seem to love upsets in the early rounds, when the better teams win early it leads to more classic games like this down the road. I'm fine with a few upsets here and there but when you end up with 12s playing 13s you eventually lead to them getting blown out more often than not in the regionals.

With that said.... I'm rooting for Auburn from here on out.

View attachment 6080

Too many Purdue guys just watching the play instead of finding their man. No way VA should have been able to make that long of a pass like that.

Top Bottom