The enormous impact of Martell being granted immediate eligibility.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/Article/Tate-Martell-eligible-Miami-football--130279264/

Essentially, he was able to transfer and play immediately because he wanted more PT. With Justin Fields, while BS, the NCAA could hide behind the veneer that Fields was leaving a hostile environment. But not with Tate. His coach changed and he was facing being second string.

On the plus side, it's no longer a charade (see Justin Fields), but on the downside, I have absolutely zero faith the NCAA has any interest in applying the rules universally. How is this different than Marcus Carr for MBB?

I really think this Martell's eligibility puts our current transfer rules at a breaking point. They either scrap them entirely or they go back to essentially no waivers.

Ugh. This is a codified mechanism for the rich to get richer. Like coaches, proven college players will migrate to programs with more exposure, more odds of winning seasons and championships. Blue bloods will lessen their odds of recruiting misses once they are able to select players going into their second, third, fourth year. This is NOT good for college football.

The writer of that article is gripped with pompous sanctimoniousness - players commit to a program as the program commits to them. Bailing out at the first sign of trouble is not only a sign of weak character, it will lead to roster chaos and a less, not more, competitive landscape. And yes, it is disruptive to a players educational arc. Too much change in too little time can be a stressor for some.

Unfortunately it seems we increasingly have two NCAA regulatory systems: one for programs with influence, one for the rest. I’m thoroughly unamused Fields and Martell are being coddled like this.

I personally think they should go back to no waivers

Top Bottom