Ranking B1G football coaches on the hot seat (Fleck #7)

There are always reasons for firing, most never said. What if the new president states she wants an AD that doesn’t instigate a team boycott because he’s a terrible communicator? Audible gasp?
Here we go again...

Coyle also cited recruiting as a reason for changing coaches. In 2 years and 3 recruiting classes, we've gone from 46th to 43rd overall, and from 8th to 10th in the Big Ten.

It's almost as if Coyle made up BS reasons to publicly justify firing the coach instead of just being honest.

How’s the crack you smoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go again...

qbXfLGo.gif

I feel dumber having read this. In no way is fleck on the hot seat yet.

Gasp as in you still haven’t figured out the AD has nothing to do with the EOAA and it’s processes? And it’s not the job of the AD to communicate a process he had nothing to do with. Yes, that type of stupid thinking makes me gasp.

Gasp that you, somehow, someway, continually miss the point. Completely. I used to think it was on purpose. Happens too often to be tho, I fear. Incredible, really.

Gasp that you, somehow, someway, continually miss the point. Completely. I used to think it was on purpose. Happens too often to be tho, I fear. Incredible, really.

Come up with a new bit. Or just go away again, that made this board a better place.

I'm just posting in this thread to remind myself to stay out of this one.

The way I see it, only 2 (maybe 3) coaches are on the hot seat in the B1G. Ash & Smith. If Day loses 3 games his seat will be hot in 2020, as will Allen's if Indiana doesn't improve this year.

They had to rank the others who are all tied for 5th.

The conventional wisdom says you have to give a coach 4-6 years to bring in his guys, install a new culture, etc. I’d argue signs of significant improvement should be there by year 3 or most coaches will start to have the smell of 3 day old fish to recruits, fans. Historically, I’m not sure any of the really successful coaches have failed to either a) meet the prior coach’s level of success by year 3 b) failed to meet a program-specific level of success or improvement, eg 8-10 wins and signature wins by year 3.

PJ has met the signature win requirement (albeit a slightly “down” Wisconsin squad but who really cares - that in and of itself is exciting), and there are signs of improvement on offense and possibly on defense.

My theory is that it may be better to cut bait with coaches sooner rather than later. Time and again new attitudes, new outlook, new teaching methods can make a difference as we saw with Robb Smith. The counter to that is some coaches will be fearful of going to schools with a quick hook. I doubt that argument, but I suppose it could be a factor. Most up and coming coaches will jump at virtually any P5 job because they are wired to overcome adversity.

Top Bottom