Gopher Illustrated's Ryan James hints that a transfer big is coming to Minnesota

But they do use a smaller ball though overseas although the 3 point line is farther back than both HS and college. Not as small as a women's ball but smaller than the men's ball. So I don't know if it is easier or harder to hit 3's there than it is here.

It doesn't seem to affect players that go to Michigan.

Should be immediately eligible. 6-8, 209 and averaged 8.1 mpg, 2.7 RPG and can shoot the 3. I think he is more of a 3 than a 4 though.

In another thread Otis said:
"We better lock up any Grad transfers before Fred gets them on the phone."

I know there are 300 schools looking for free agents already, but I do think Fred should add a little more urgency to the Gopher staff. You know he's going to add some talented people to Nebraska.

We can have a very nice team next year if we add some desired pieces that fit and they are eligible.

Will take a long time as most of these young men will take time to see who leaves, who they already have relationships with, what playing time is available. Some will go back home. Nearly every staff is tracking it closely, some have already heard from transfers.

Tai Strickland is transferring from Badgers, we were in his final 3 last year, was non factor this season. Don't think we'd be interested, but no other spot for this and didn't think own thread worthy

It was pretty well known that Strickland was transferring out from Wisconsin for awhile now from people in the know(I don't like putting possible transfer names out there until it's official), it's more of him being homesick more than anything, so don't think he has any interest here and will likely transfer to a Florida school.

Note that James streeter has entered the transfer portal Leaving Washington state. Totino-grace kid

Note that James streeter has entered the transfer portal Leaving Washington state. Totino-grace kid

I don't think we're desperate enough to take on a guy who didn't play a minute as a walk-on at WSU and averaged 6pts/3rebs in Juco

Ryan James, perhaps the most knowledgeable basketball recruiting reporter in the state, suggested today on his podcast, Talk Gophers Buckets (TGB), that Minnesota has all but secured a big man to transfer to the Twin Cities this spring/summer (around the 53 minute mark in the latest podcast episode).

He didn't get into specifics. It was clear that he did not have authority to disclose such information yet. But he sounded as if it was close to a done deal. James also said that De La Salle forward Jamison Battle, who is currently committed to George Washington University, may open up his availability and that the Gophers would likely be interested.

While James did not exactly guarantee any of this, he seemed quite confident that the Gophers' 2019 class would be made up of Tre Williams, Grant Sherfield, Jamison Battle and the nameless transfer big. James said that Pitino really likes the JUCO guard McNeil, but that there was a lot of competition to land him and that getting Jamison Battle to flip would be a great consolation prize...

Obviously the lead story in all of this is that the Gophers have a transfer big potentially coming in. James didn't specify if it was a grad transfer or even if the player would for sure be eligible right away (my interpretation of his phrasing is that the transfer would be eligible). My own baseless, irresponsible speculation is that James was referring to Texas' Jericho Sims, but in no way did James tip me off of that

Has RJ followed up on this at all? He couldn't have been talking about Demir, right?

Has RJ followed up on this at all? He couldn't have been talking about Demir, right?

I don't think he was ever referring to a specific transfer when he said this, just saying that the gophers would likely get some sort of grad transfer big.

I think the OP misinterpreted what RJ said on the podcast.

Top Bottom