Gopher Illustrated's Ryan James hints that a transfer big is coming to Minnesota

Matz is now considered an impact player; but only if he plays.

Ryan James, perhaps the most knowledgeable basketball recruiting reporter in the state, suggested today on his podcast, Talk Gophers Buckets (TGB), that Minnesota has all but secured a big man to transfer to the Twin Cities this spring/summer (around the 53 minute mark in the latest podcast episode).

He didn't get into specifics. It was clear that he did not have authority to disclose such information yet. But he sounded as if it was close to a done deal. James also said that De La Salle forward Jamison Battle, who is currently committed to George Washington University, may open up his availability and that the Gophers would likely be interested.

While James did not exactly guarantee any of this, he seemed quite confident that the Gophers' 2019 class would be made up of Tre Williams, Grant Sherfield, Jamison Battle and the nameless transfer big. James said that Pitino really likes the JUCO guard McNeil, but that there was a lot of competition to land him and that getting Jamison Battle to flip would be a great consolation prize...

Obviously the lead story in all of this is that the Gophers have a transfer big potentially coming in. James didn't specify if it was a grad transfer or even if the player would for sure be eligible right away (my interpretation of his phrasing is that the transfer would be eligible). My own baseless, irresponsible speculation is that James was referring to Texas' Jericho Sims, but in no way did James tip me off of that

Clearly I have missed something - who is Grant Sherfield?

Curry is a good player and worthy of starting if he's healthy. Unfortunately it's become a big if.

I don't have any inside info on this, but one name to keep an eye on here is Shakur Juiston. He's a grad transfer from UNLV and took a medical redshirt this year after injuring his meniscus and having surgery. Coach Jeter would have been at UNLV for Shakur's Junior season (he was a JUCO kid) and given that Menzies was rumored to be out for so long and Shakur had all season to think about his future it would make sense that he might have already came to a decision by the time of the podcast the initial post referenced. Shakur averaged 14.6 points and 10 rebounds as a Junior and 10.8 points and 8.8 rebounds through the 8 games he played this season.

I don't have any inside info on this, but one name to keep an eye on here is Shakur Juiston. He's a grad transfer from UNLV and took a medical redshirt this year after injuring his meniscus and having surgery. Coach Jeter would have been at UNLV for Shakur's Junior season (he was a JUCO kid) and given that Menzies was rumored to be out for so long and Shakur had all season to think about his future it would make sense that he might have already came to a decision by the time of the podcast the initial post referenced. Shakur averaged 14.6 points and 10 rebounds as a Junior and 10.8 points and 8.8 rebounds through the 8 games he played this season.

Just what we need. Another big with an injured knee

Just what we need. Another big with an injured knee

lol ya but more than that is another guy who ties up a scholarship for two years to play one year (maybe)...those guys better be major contributors. Richard has whiffed in one way or another on most all those guys historically...not all his fault but he is the guy who made the decision to add them. Luck would seem like it has to start changing here, pretty soon?

lol ya but more than that is another guy who ties up a scholarship for two years to play one year (maybe)...those guys better be major contributors. Richard has whiffed in one way or another on most all those guys historically...not all his fault but he is the guy who made the decision to add them. Luck would seem like it has to start changing here, pretty soon?

Juiston would be eligible to play right away.

Unfortunately with the number of significant injuries that Curry has had the last few years, I'm concerned that he won't reach the potential he showed as a freshman.

Absolutely hope I'm wrong, of course.

He was awful this year. Show me.

Aside from his first game or two when he was still getting back in the swing of things, I don't really think he was that much worse than he was as a freshman if at all. I thought he was solid this year for a big coming off the bench and at the same time feel some of you guys are overrating how good he was as a freshman.

Unfortunately with the number of significant injuries that Curry has had the last few years, I'm concerned that he won't reach the potential he showed as a freshman.

Absolutely hope I'm wrong, of course.

Totally agree. As a freshman he had some game changing moments, especially that Purdue OT victory where he powerfully took over the game. We can hope he is more durable than he at the moment appears to be. He played his freshman year completely healthy as well as most of this year.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I heard from Dwight Schrute that Pitino will be leaving in a couple of weeks, anyway, so who cares? ��

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I heard from Dwight Schrute that Pitino will be leaving in a couple of weeks, anyway, so who cares? ��

Going to leave to focus on his beet farm?

Did you even read the post about him? He sat out this year, so he would be available immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like a good player

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fv1z5PeiYhA

Going to leave to focus on his beet farm?

He’s taking the kids to legoland. They like staying in the hotel that has the elevator that makes farting sounds when you jump up and down.

Then he’ll let us know that Moses brown is transferring to the U when he returns

Shakur Juiston would be our starting 4 next year, no clue if this is real or not.

I would take Shakur Juiston. Even if he's coming off an injury. We're never going to get a replacement for Murphy, but the best we can do is hope our depth at the 4 spot is better and Oturu continues to improve. I would take a depth chart of Juiston, Curry and Ihnen. Supposedly Ihnen can play some 3 so you might have some position flexibility.

Looks like a good player

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fv1z5PeiYhA

holy crap what a game... I kind of feel bad for upperclassman coming in here.. if Coffey and Hurt goes we literally will only have redshirt sophomores as the oldest guys on the squad... I'd put it at 80/20 that Coffey stays, but still we are a really young team and we cannot discount that when it comes to attracting transfers

Top Bottom