Gopher Illustrated's Ryan James hints that a transfer big is coming to Minnesota

Lol... we’re confident the “nameless big man” will beat out Curry and Omersa...

Battle: great get, vastly underrated
Nikko: good backup
Sims: who knows, athletic freak

To be honest, having 2 of 5 starters nor able to shoot 3s hurt us. If we can add in another forward that can shoot 3s would be great

Lol... we’re confident the “nameless big man” will beat out Curry and Omersa...

Haha :clap: Funny, a bit sad but certainly possibly reality too, if we go with the scouting report "Solid". :cool:

Instantly my favorite thread. Someone please keep the scouting reports, speculation and comments rolling! I’ll lead with a question: Why might Battle reopen his recruitment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching Battle shoot 3s reminds me of set-shot Jones in "The fish from Pittsburgh" basketball movie starring Dr. J.

Home town kids should be easy hardship cases, everyone has a relative with cancer or hemorrhoids.

Reed Nikko and Sims would have to sit a year, correct?

Season stats on the two guys most-often mentioned in this thread:

Reed Nikko:
3pts, 2.1 rebounds per game
Missouri finished 15-17 overall, 5-13 in the SEC.

Jericho Sims:
3.9pts, 3 rebounds per game
Texas finished 16-16 overall, 8-10 in the Big 12

If we are looking for impact big men, I hope we are setting our sights higher than these two.

Go Gophers!!

Watching Battle shoot 3s reminds me of set-shot Jones in "The fish from Pittsburgh" basketball movie starring Dr. J.

Home town kids should be easy hardship cases, everyone has a relative with cancer or hemorrhoids.

Now you did it! I think my butt is starting to hurt again.......

<twitter-widget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1044951070332588034"></twitter-widget>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He certainly can compete with Jarvis O in this regard<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.2e9f365dae390394eb8d923cba8c5b11.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forums.gopherhole.com&settingsEndpoint=https%3A%2F%2Fsyndication.twitter.com%2Fsettings" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Last edited:

assuming Sean Miller gets fired.....maybe Zeek Nanji opens up his recruitment again.

Reed Nikko:

Jericho Sims:

If we are looking for impact big men, I hope we are setting our sights higher than these two.

Go Gophers!!

Say that again. Our sights can't be set on backups. We need a banger who can start and compete well on Day One.

If Battle is that guy and he can shoot, let's put on the full court press for him. The intriguing thing about Battle is that in some ways his recruiting parallels Gabe's. Under appreciated on the recruiting trail. If Battle can be the same kind of success as Gabe at his position, we will be solid for a few years. A forward who can shoot would be a great addition.

Sims is essentially another Omersa. I know we need some big bodies but I'd rather get at least one big who can shoot.

Finally someone said it, I have no idea why people are so infatuated with Jericho Sims coming here. He's a backup big at best, which you could argue we could use too but they need another proven big heading into next year big time. Omersa has a LONG way to go before playing legitimate minutes, Sims would be meh and you cannot bank on Curry being healthy and being the 4 next year. They have to find another legit frontcourt body somewhere.

Finally someone said it, I have no idea why people are so infatuated with Jericho Sims coming here. He's a backup big at best, which you could argue we could use too but they need another proven big heading into next year big time. Omersa has a LONG way to go before playing legitimate minutes, Sims would be meh and you cannot bank on Curry being healthy and being the 4 next year. They have to find another legit frontcourt body somewhere.

We are desperate for depth at both 4 and 5 and Sims can play both. Even if he's only a solid player off the bench, that would be a valuable pickup. I don't think anyone has suggested he would be one of our best players. Just look at our current backups at those positions for next year and you'll understand why he'd be a nice get.

I listened to the podcast and I heard the part about Jamison Battle quite differently. Ryan was mentioning that the Gophers have been recruiting other guys ranked in his area (guys like Tujaute Williams and David Skogman) and that maybe they would be interested in Battle if he opened up his recruitment because of that. It was much more a theory based on rankings than an actual report at least to my ears.

According to Ryan we are in a good place with Grant Sherfield, but he's still going to take that Wichita visit and possibly another one as more offers will likely come in. He also did seem to hint that a transfer big was done, as finished his comment with "and that's all I'll say".

Supposedly, Pitino wants the Juco shooter Sean McNeil really bad. I found a recent article that suggests McNeil has cut his list and that Pitt is on it and the's planning on lining up visits...but the author doesn't know who else has made the list: https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/03/18/pitt-makes-the-cut-for-juco-sharpshooter-sean-mcneil/

I found the comments about 2020 recruiting to be particularly interesting. Ryan didn't come out and say it but he certainly seemed to be inferring that the staff needed to work harder on the 2020's. This was the second podcast I heard him mention that Dawson Garcia loved his visit to Marquette and that Ben Carlson loved Xavier. It was also the second time I've heard him mention that he doesn't think we can get more than one of the Garcia/Carlson/Danja trio due to them all viewing themselves as forwards. It sounds like Walton and one of the three is the best he thinks we can do and that is no sure thing. To me that's the bare minimum assuming they don't get Suggs so the margin for error is quite slim despite another loaded class.

good to hear there is some postive traction

I believe the name was Set Shot Buford. Physically, he reminded me a bit at the time of Mike Dunleavy Sr. who was in the playoffs with the Rockets when the film was making its initial HBO run.

Reed Nikko:

Jericho Sims:

Go Gophers!!

I'm not familiar with the situation at Missouri but Texas has a freshman big man (Jaxson Hayes) who is projected as a lower first rounder if he goes so, obviously, Sims faced significant competition for the starting position. Sims' Player Efficiency Rating was 13.0, not great but respectable for a freshman. Nikko's was about the same at Missouri.

These players have demonstrated that they were reasonably effective role players as freshmen. Would you care for me to list the number of freshman recruited by Pitino over the years who failed even that standard?

I would say either one is worth taking, especially if he can play immediately. No matter who we recruit, we are very unlikely to come close to replacing Jordan Murphy.

Reed Nikko:

Jericho Sims:

Go Gophers!!

Sims averaged 5 PPG, 3.9 RPG and half a block per game as a freshman which is similar to what Curry put up as a freshman. I'm not big on Nikko but Sims would be a quality backup center for us.

Sims averaged 5 PPG, 3.9 RPG and half a block per game as a freshman which is similar to what Curry put up as a freshman. I'm not big on Nikko but Sims would be a quality backup center for us.

I don't think Sims will be a program changer, but I'd take him on the roster without any reservations

Sims would be great. A starting 5 of: Oturu/Sims/Coffey/Gab/Carr would be dang good. Curry would need to be healthy for them to compete.

I don't think Sims will be a program changer, but I'd take him on the roster without any reservations

I'm growing weary of sit out transfers. We need help now. If Sims is immediately eligible, bring him on. If not, I'm not so sure.

I'm growing weary of sit out transfers. We need help now. If Sims is immediately eligible, bring him on. If not, I'm not so sure.

well with the amount of spots open, we need guy immediate, but can take a RS or transfer who has to sit out as well

I listened to the podcast and I heard the part about Jamison Battle quite differently. Ryan was mentioning that the Gophers have been recruiting other guys ranked in his area (guys like Tujaute Williams and David Skogman) and that maybe they would be interested in Battle if he opened up his recruitment because of that. It was much more a theory based on rankings than an actual report at least to my ears.

According to Ryan we are in a good place with Grant Sherfield, but he's still going to take that Wichita visit and possibly another one as more offers will likely come in. He also did seem to hint that a transfer big was done, as finished his comment with "and that's all I'll say".

Supposedly, Pitino wants the Juco shooter Sean McNeil really bad. I found a recent article that suggests McNeil has cut his list and that Pitt is on it and the's planning on lining up visits...but the author doesn't know who else has made the list: https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/03/18/pitt-makes-the-cut-for-juco-sharpshooter-sean-mcneil/

I found the comments about 2020 recruiting to be particularly interesting. Ryan didn't come out and say it but he certainly seemed to be inferring that the staff needed to work harder on the 2020's. This was the second podcast I heard him mention that Dawson Garcia loved his visit to Marquette and that Ben Carlson loved Xavier. It was also the second time I've heard him mention that he doesn't think we can get more than one of the Garcia/Carlson/Danja trio due to them all viewing themselves as forwards. It sounds like Walton and one of the three is the best he thinks we can do and that is no sure thing. To me that's the bare minimum assuming they don't get Suggs so the margin for error is quite slim despite another loaded class.

Yeah as I said in the original post, the headline here is that the Gophers appear to have a transfer big coming in. The Battle thing was definitely more speculation than reporting, but a few reporters now, James and Doogie have pushed the Battle to Minnesota narrative. I’m not sure Battle would even come here if we offered him. He said last year he was interested in smaller mid majors because he’d been a Catholic school guy much his life and was used to the more intimate environment. But who knows, maybe he said all that to temper expectations. I hope he would have a tough time turning down the Gophers

Wonder why he's confident about Sherfield. I am very excited by that prospect.

James gave three solid reasons why: 1) Sherfield has a fairly small list at this point and the Gophers have remained consistently above the fold; 2) Sherfield and his dad were blown away by their official visit (“exceeded expectations” is what the dad said); 3) Sherfield believes he’d be a perfect fit in this offense

James gave three solid reasons why: 1) Sherfield has a fairly small list at this point and the Gophers have remained consistently above the fold; 2) Sherfield and his dad were blown away by their official visit (“exceeded expectations” is what the dad said); 3) Sherfield believes he’d be a perfect fit in this offense

Sounds like he needs to sign. Get er done

Sims is a good player who was starting for Texas. Lots of thins could play into why things didnt go well for him this year. But if he could be eligible next year he would make an impact.

Sims is a good player who was starting for Texas. Lots of thins could play into why things didnt go well for him this year. But if he could be eligible next year he would make an impact.

I mentioned this in another thread. Sims started for Texas in the NIT vs the Jack Rabbits. Have any of you guys seen him play this year? Not very impressive. He is getting man handled by the Rabbits and he is not a factor in the game at all. He stands around watching the play and seems way to robotic in running the plays. I would pass on him, doubt if Pitino would give him much PT if he plays like this. Matz is a much better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back up is right. We where not his primary initially.

I'm not familiar with the situation at Missouri but Texas has a freshman big man (Jaxson Hayes) who is projected as a lower first rounder if he goes so, obviously, Sims faced significant competition for the starting position. Sims' Player Efficiency Rating was 13.0, not great but respectable for a freshman. Nikko's was about the same at Missouri.

These players have demonstrated that they were reasonably effective role players as freshmen. Would you care for me to list the number of freshman recruited by Pitino over the years who failed even that standard?

I would say either one is worth taking, especially if he can play immediately. No matter who we recruit, we are very unlikely to come close to replacing Jordan Murphy.

Actually, Sims PER of slightly higher than 13 was 49th in the Big 12, not bad for a backup. His efficiency rating was higher than Gabe's and Dupree's for context (we Gopher fans need context at times) and slightly behind Brad Davidson. I think he would fill in as a decent role player with more minutes.

Top Bottom