Gopher Illustrated's Ryan James hints that a transfer big is coming to Minnesota

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
Ryan James, perhaps the most knowledgeable basketball recruiting reporter in the state, suggested today on his podcast, Talk Gophers Buckets (TGB), that Minnesota has all but secured a big man to transfer to the Twin Cities this spring/summer (around the 53 minute mark in the latest podcast episode).

He didn't get into specifics. It was clear that he did not have authority to disclose such information yet. But he sounded as if it was close to a done deal. James also said that De La Salle forward Jamison Battle, who is currently committed to George Washington University, may open up his availability and that the Gophers would likely be interested.

While James did not exactly guarantee any of this, he seemed quite confident that the Gophers' 2019 class would be made up of Tre Williams, Grant Sherfield, Jamison Battle and the nameless transfer big. James said that Pitino really likes the JUCO guard McNeil, but that there was a lot of competition to land him and that getting Jamison Battle to flip would be a great consolation prize...

Obviously the lead story in all of this is that the Gophers have a transfer big potentially coming in. James didn't specify if it was a grad transfer or even if the player would for sure be eligible right away (my interpretation of his phrasing is that the transfer would be eligible). My own baseless, irresponsible speculation is that James was referring to Texas' Jericho Sims, but in no way did James tip me off of that

Last edited:

I would be okay with that class and the transfers we have already on the team.

Sims is essentially another Omersa. I know we need some big bodies but I'd rather get at least one big who can shoot.

I would be okay with that class and the transfers we have already on the team.

I would consider that class a home run. We get a combo guard to replace McBrayer in Sherfield, a wing player in Tre Williams who can replace Stull, Jamison Battle could replace Michael Hurt assuming he transfers (or if he stays, once he graduates after next year), and the nameless big could battle for the starting PF spot with Omersa and Curry (and would likely win it)

So we'd potentially have this coming in and out next year if you buy into all the rumors.

Out: Murphy, McBrayer, Stull, Stockman, Washington, Hurt
In: Carr, Willis, Williams, Battle, Sherfield, transfer big

Hopefully if we get another McNeil he won't murder someone and end up in jail.

Sims is essentially another Omersa. I know we need some big bodies but I'd rather get at least one big who can shoot.

I wonder if Jamison Battle could play a stretch 4, sort of like Joey King. Battle is 6'7 and a pretty lethal 3 point shooter... To me, Battle doesn't seem athletic enough to play wing in the B1G10, but I may be wrong. I've never seen him in person (will this week though!)

I wonder if Jamison Battle could play a stretch 4, sort of like Joey King. Battle is 6'7 and a pretty lethal 3 point shooter... To me, Battle doesn't seem athletic enough to play wing in the B1G10, but I may be wrong. I've never seen him in person (will this week though!)

That's true, I wasn't considering Battle but he can really shoot. Joey King is not a bad comp for him. Battle is a little shorter but probably a tad more athletic.

So we'd potentially have this coming in and out next year if you buy into all the rumors.

Out: Murphy, McBrayer, Stull, Stockman, Washington, Hurt
In: Carr, Willis, Williams, Battle, Sherfield, transfer big
yup, and our depth chart would likely look like this:

PG: Carr/Willis
SG: Coffey/Sherfield
SF: Kalscheur/Williams/Battle
PF: [Unnamed transfer]/Omersa/Battle
C: Oturu/Curry

Even with all of the above we'd still have two open scholarships. If Sims is the only big though, you have to make sure he'll be eligible and not trust the NCAA Wheel of Random decisions. Obviously, he would have a better case than Carr since he's coming home.

This is true from a style of play stand point, both uber athletic but Sims is bigger (6-9 240 vs 6-6, 225) and much more productive. His freshman and sophomore numbers are nearly identical to the ones Curry has put up. Sims would be a very good backup center for us next year but that all hinges on him getting a waiver.

I'd like to get a HS big like Sam Freeman as insurance in case Sims or whoever it is doesn't get immediate eligibility. This is all a moot point though if it is a grad transfer.

Even with all of the above we'd still have two open scholarships. If Sims is the only big though, you have to make sure he'll be eligible and not trust the NCAA Wheel of Random decisions. Obviously, he would have a better case than Carr since he's coming home.

yeah, which is why I am leaning 50-50 as to presuming that's who James was referring to. James did seem to suggest that the big would be eligible right away. There isn't any certainty that that's the case with Sims (although James may know something we do not in terms of Sims potential eligibility).

I only baselessly speculate that James was referring to Sims because of his status with Texas (and Shaka Smart's status with Texas for that matter)... There's hundreds of big men in college basketball. James may very well have had someone else in mind

People might be underwhelmed but I am guessing Reed Nikko from Missouri transferring home for his senior year.

This is true from a style of play stand point, both uber athletic but Sims is bigger (6-9 240 vs 6-6, 225) and much more productive. His freshman and sophomore numbers are nearly identical to the ones Curry has put up. Sims would be a very good backup center for us next year but that all hinges on him getting a waiver.

I'd like to get a HS big like Sam Freeman as insurance in case Sims or whoever it is doesn't get immediate eligibility. This is all a moot point though if it is a grad transfer.

yeah Freeman is weird. his name has been floating around for a while yet there's been really no news about any visits he's taking.. James said that Freeman would be taking his official visits in May I believe

Refresh my memory and give me some background on Reed Nikko

Battle can drill three better than anyone on this roster...Joey king clone is fair

People might be underwhelmed but I am guessing Reed Nikko from Missouri transferring home for his senior year.

A little underwhelming but I guess he'd be a better backup center for one year than a freshman like Freeman or Skogman.

Battle can drill three better than anyone on this roster...Joey king clone is fair

yeah that's why I am really excited about him. he gives us versatility that we've lacked for a long time. God bless Jordan Murphy, but it would have been nice to have a Joey King-type player to play behind him, only if it allowed us to throw out different looks

A little underwhelming but I guess he'd be a better backup center for one year than a freshman like Freeman or Skogman.

Underwhelming like Bakary Konate or underwhelming like Trevor Winters?

Ryan James, perhaps the most knowledgeable basketball recruiting reporter in the state, suggested today on his podcast, Talk Gophers Buckets (TGB), that Minnesota has all but secured a big man to transfer to the Twin Cities this spring/summer (around the 53 minute mark in the latest podcast episode).

He didn't get into specifics. It was clear that he did not have authority to disclose such information yet. But he sounded as if it was a done deal. James also said that De La Salle forward Jamison Battle, who is currently committed to George Washington University, may open up his availability and that the Gophers would likely be interested.

While James did not exactly guarantee any of this, he seemed quite confident that the Gophers' 2019 class would be made up of Tre Williams, Grant Sherfield, Jamison Battle and the nameless transfer big. James said that Pitino really likes the JUCO guard McNeil, but that there was a lot of competition to land him and that getting Jamison Battle to flip would be a great consolation prize...

Obviously the lead story in all of this is that the Gophers have a transfer big potentially coming in. James didn't specify if it was a grad transfer or even if the player would for sure be eligible right away (my interpretation of his phrasing is that the transfer would be eligible). My own baseless, irresponsible speculation is that James was referring to Texas' Jericho Sims, but in no way did James tip me off of that
He said, "I think they have a chance to get a really solid transfer. I'll leave it at that."

I don't interpret that anywhere near "done deal." But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He said, "I think they have a chance to get a really solid transfer. I'll leave it at that."

I don't interpret that anywhere near "done deal." But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just listened and to me it didn't sound like a done deal but I could be wrong. Also, I don't think he would describe Nikko as a "solid" transfer.

RE: Jericho Sims, my question is, what's wrong with him (and that question goes way beyond the ankle injury he suffered in January)? After all that massive potential he showed last season spelling Mo Bamba, he was supposed to be 'the man' this year for the Longhorns, but holy cow did his game take one very large step back prior to losing his starting spot to Jaxson Hayes back in late December. He was just terribly inconsistent, foul-prone, his EFG% and offensive ratings fell off and he was turning the ball over like crazy, and he just didn't show the same effort and energy on either end, which is exactly why he got benched.

I can't help but wonder what the deal is and whether that was just a literal sophomore slump or if there's something else going on. Maybe he struggled beneath the weight of all those expectations or maybe he just wasn't happy down there for whatever reason, but at any rate there are at least some red flags around him as he shows at least some signs of being a potential headcase. He is so insular, so non-communicative, and so withdrawn that it is literally a guessing game both for his coaches and his teammates as per what (if anything) is wrong and what might be bothering him.

I really like Jamison Battle. He is very underrated in my opinion and another calm demeanor. I'm surprised his offer list was so meh because he has been really solid for the last couple years.

Wonder why he's confident about Sherfield. I am very excited by that prospect.

Also, good news that the recruiting news constipation has gone away

I would consider that class a home run. We get a combo guard to replace McBrayer in Sherfield, a wing player in Tre Williams who can replace Stull, Jamison Battle could replace Michael Hurt assuming he transfers (or if he stays, once he graduates after next year), and the nameless big could battle for the starting PF spot with Omersa and Curry (and would likely win it)

Lol... we’re confident the “nameless big man” will beat out Curry and Omersa...

Top Bottom