Incoming Transfer?

jmag21

Reaction score
In the latest Talk Gopher Buckets podcast (highly recommended) Ryan James seemed pretty confident Grant Sherfield was coming, and also hinted that there was a transfer big who would be coming in who would be immediately eligible. I have no idea who that could be. SO LET'S ENGAGE IN SOME BASELESS SPECULATION, GANG!

I will be keeping my eye on this thread!

dang I started writing this same thread but got distracted and when I finally posted you had beaten me by 10 minutes...

that portion of the podcast definitely caught my eye.

since my thread will likely be deleted, here was my write up on it:

Ryan James, perhaps the most knowledgeable basketball recruiting reporter in the state, suggested today on his podcast, Talk Gophers Buckets (TGB), that Minnesota has all but secured a big man to transfer to the Twin Cities this spring/summer (around the 53 minute mark in the latest podcast episode).

He didn't get into specifics. It was clear that he did not have authority to disclose such information yet. But he sounded as if it was a done deal. James also said that De La Salle forward Jamison Battle, who is currently committed to George Washington University, may open up his availability and that the Gophers would likely be interested.

While James did not exactly guarantee any of this, he seemed quite confident that the Gophers' 2019 class would be made up of Tre Williams, Grant Sherfield, Jamison Battle and the nameless transfer big. James said that Pitino really likes the JUCO guard McNeil, but that there was a lot of competition to land him and that getting Jamison Battle to flip would be a great consolation prize...

Obviously the lead story in all of this is that the Gophers have a transfer big potentially coming in. James didn't specify if it was a grad transfer or even if the player would be eligible right away. My own baseless, irresponsible speculation is that James was referring to Texas' Jericho Sims, but he in no way did James tip me off of that

dang I started writing this same thread but got distracted and when I finally posted you had beaten me by 10 minutes...

that portion of the podcast definitely caught my eye.

since my thread will likely be deleted, here was my write up on it:

Ryan James, perhaps the most knowledgeable basketball recruiting reporter in the state, suggested today on his podcast, Talk Gophers Buckets (TGB), that Minnesota has all but secured a big man to transfer to the Twin Cities this spring/summer (around the 53 minute mark in the latest podcast episode).

He didn't get into specifics. It was clear that he did not have authority to disclose such information yet. But he sounded as if it was a done deal. James also said that De La Salle forward Jamison Battle, who is currently committed to George Washington University, may open up his availability and that the Gophers would likely be interested.

While James did not exactly guarantee any of this, he seemed quite confident that the Gophers' 2019 class would be made up of Tre Williams, Grant Sherfield, Jamison Battle and the nameless transfer big. James said that Pitino really likes the JUCO guard McNeil, but that there was a lot of competition to land him and that getting Jamison Battle to flip would be a great consolation prize...

Obviously the lead story in all of this is that the Gophers have a transfer big potentially coming in. James didn't specify if it was a grad transfer or even if the player would be eligible right away. My own baseless, irresponsible speculation is that James was referring to Texas' Jericho Sims, but he in no way did James tip me off of that

Sims is a good name, but would he be immediately eligible? It seemed like it'd be a grad transfer type guy, but who do we know that's a grad transfer?

Does Zion Williamson count as a big?

Another injury prone player - no thank you.

Last edited:

Sims starting for Texas tonight in NIT on ESPN.

Go Jack Rabbits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sims starting for Texas tonight in NIT on ESPN.

Go Jack Rabbits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I'm reading this right, Texas is currently winning 19-0. Looks more like a lopsided football score than basketball.

For all of you guys wanting Sims, have any of you watched him play this year?

Watching the first half of the Jacket Rabbits game and not impressed at all. He is getting man handled by SDSU. He isn’t moving without the ball and is absolutely no factor in the game.

I doubt if he would get much playing time in Minnesota. I would take Matz over him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all of you guys wanting Sims, have any of you watched him play this year?

Watching the first half of the Jacket Rabbits game and not impressed at all. He is getting man handled by SDSU. He isn’t moving without the ball and is absolutely no factor in the game.

I doubt if he would get much playing time in Minnesota. I would take Matz over him in a heartbeat.

yup. plus he apparently is an enigma with the coaching staff. they don't know how to get to him to figure out what's wrong or what's needed to motivated him..

yup. plus he apparently is an enigma with the coaching staff. they don't know how to get to him to figure out what's wrong or what's needed to motivated him..

A lot of other options. Stay away from Sims

Agree, he doesn't seem to put a lot of effort out there either, stay away.

Agree, he doesn't seem to put a lot of effort out there either, stay away.
This coming from someone who wants to play Royce! Definitely better stay away then!

Oturu just posted something on his Instagram story suggesting it could be Sy Chatman from UMass. Don’t know much about him.

Oturu just posted something on his Instagram story suggesting it could be Sy Chatman from UMass. Don’t know much about him.

Chatman played at Cretin, not a post player, 3 or a stretch 4, lock down defender.

If I remember Sy correctly, he’d be another athletic non-shooter.

Maybe we can pull a reverse IW with him.

If I remember Sy correctly, he’d be another athletic non-shooter.

Does a little bit of everything, not a great shooter not terrible, I don't know how he would fare against Big Ten competition.

Sy Chatman would be a depth forward, nothing more.

There is much to be said for depth. Depth is what this team chronically is lacking.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd give a grad transfer a one year ride for an increased rotation.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd give a grad transfer a one year ride for an increased rotation.

I dont think Pitino's teams ever stay healthy. Thats why you need a next man up mentality.

Depends a little bit on coaching staff interactions as well. Maybe he just doesn’t connect with them. If he’s a one year guy (I don’t know this tbh) who is gone afterwards, a depth guy who can take a few fouls and know his role for one year would be ok because we have no depth right now

Top Bottom