Transfer Portal Impact: Grading the Big Ten (Minnesota: B+)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Wommack:

MINNESOTA

Additions: WR Randal Grimes (USC), WR Micah Dew-Treadway (Notre Dame)

Subtractions: RB Dominik London (North Dakota), OL Quinn Oseland (San Jose State), OL Jack York (Stephen F. Austin),

Currently in the Portal: RB Jonathan Femi-Cole, DB Rey Estes, DB Jack Leius

Grade: B+ -- The Gophers are losing a little depth at running back but should see their passing game bolstered by the addition of Grimes and Dew-Treadway.

Farrell’s take: The additional of the two receivers, both big-time talents out of high school, will help for sure and could take the passing game to the next level. These are two really good pickups.

https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-portal-impact-grading-the-big-ten

Go Gophers!!

Isn't Dew-Treadway a DT? Dynamic if he can also play WR.

At 6' 4" and 300 lbs, Micah Dew-Treadway would make a hell of a WR.

At 6' 4" and 300 lbs, Micah Dew-Treadway would make a hell of a WR.

Unless he somehow got entered into the portal as a WR this is a really big mistake to make. I know "journalism" now is not held to the same standard as it was in the past, you know back when they actually valued being right not just first. But you would think it would not be all that hard to get the positions right on players even if you are not really tied directly to the programs where the players are going.

Imagine that kinda 2 way player.

Try taking down that monster of a WR!!!

Wouldn't be too hard to cover him off the line of scrimmage but man if he got ahold of it look out. Would probably be one heck of a downfield blocker at a WR as most CBs would have a really hard time getting around him to make a tackle once he got locked up on them.

But we've been lectured that they do a thorough evaluation of every player...

Grade: B+ -- The Gophers are losing a little depth at running back but should see their passing game bolstered by the addition of Grimes and Dew-Treadway.

Huh?

Wouldn't be too hard to cover him off the line of scrimmage but man if he got ahold of it look out. Would probably be one heck of a downfield blocker at a WR as most CBs would have a really hard time getting around him to make a tackle once he got locked up on them.

Bubble screen behind Big Dan?

Got a couple guys from fancy programs who might be able to help, and nobody who played much transferred "up". That's a win.

Lazy reporting at its finest. Makes it difficult to read/believe anything else in the article.

Yes; lazy reporting and no proofreader or editor. I guess they can't afford one.

So much of the work done today seems to be done fast, sloppy, on the cheap. Not just journalism, but many things. The bean counters are always cutting costs to maximize profits.

As for quality... who cares about quality?

Guess that's why he transferred, ND probably didn't even give him a shot at being a WR.

Dew-Treadway's going to be an absolute unit on Ciarrocca's Up + O slant play.

Brought in guys from USC and Notre Dame...

...'lost' guys to North Dakota and Stephen F Austin.

k, we good

I hope the attrition doesn't hurt our stable of running backs much. :rolleyes:

JTG

per Wommack:

MINNESOTA

Additions: WR Randal Grimes (USC), WR Micah Dew-Treadway (Notre Dame)

Subtractions: RB Dominik London (North Dakota), OL Quinn Oseland (San Jose State), OL Jack York (Stephen F. Austin),

Currently in the Portal: RB Jonathan Femi-Cole, DB Rey Estes, DB Jack Leius

Farrell’s take: The additional of the two receivers, both big-time talents out of high school, will help for sure and could take the passing game to the next level. These are two really good pickups.

https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-portal-impact-grading-the-big-ten

Go Gophers!!

Rey Estes is at Illinois, Femi-Cole is done and back in Canada.. I don't think we lost much "depth"

Brought in guys from USC and Notre Dame...

...'lost' guys to North Dakota and Stephen F Austin.

k, we good

You can say "lost" about Femi-Cole, but I personally would count Jack York as an actual loss, not a "loss." He was on the depth chart for most/all of the games last year as a true freshman. Unless he got hurt, it seems pretty likely that his floor here would've been solid backup, and potentially a starter by his Jr/Sr years. It seems that he wanted to be close to home (SFA is a 3-hour drive from his high school), and the bigger schools within a similar distance or closer (TCU, Baylor) apparently didn't want him as a transfer. Texas Tech offered him out of HS, but he must not have wanted to be that far away from home.

Rey Estes is at Illinois, Femi-Cole is done and back in Canada.. I don't think we lost much "depth"

I don't think Estes ever made it to Illinois. I know it was originally reported that is where he was headed, but I'm not sure it ended up being his actual destination.

You can say "lost" about Femi-Cole, but I personally would count Jack York as an actual loss, not a "loss." He was on the depth chart for most/all of the games last year as a true freshman. Unless he got hurt, it seems pretty likely that his floor here would've been solid backup, and potentially a starter by his Jr/Sr years. It seems that he wanted to be close to home (SFA is a 3-hour drive from his high school), and the bigger schools within a similar distance or closer (TCU, Baylor) apparently didn't want him as a transfer. Texas Tech offered him out of HS, but he must not have wanted to be that far away from home.

Going to SFA means he wanted a higher probability of playing right away and not having to sit out a year, not just to be closer to home. Otherwise, he would’ve transferred to Tech or even a G5 in Texas.

Going to SFA means he wanted a higher probability of playing right away and not having to sit out a year, not just to be closer to home. Otherwise, he would’ve transferred to Tech or even a G5 in Texas.

Is that what it means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be both.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

How much time are we expecting Treadway to get out of the slot?

Top Bottom