Michigan State fans are not pleased with the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SportingNews:

Michigan State won the Big Ten Tournament, defeated Michigan three times and had an overall great season, but the Spartans were handed a raw deal in the NCAA Tournament by earning a 2-seed in the same East region as overall No. 1 Duke.

Obviously, fans of the Spartans aren't too happy with this. To make matters worse, Michigan drew a 2-seed in the West region against the weakest of the 1-seeds (Gonzaga). Selection Committee chair Bernard Muir explained after the selections were announced that Michigan State leapfrogged Kentucky by winning Sunday.

Kentucky fans are probably thankful because it means an easier draw in the Midwest region.

Immediately after it was revealed Michigan State was in the same region as Duke, college basketball analysts had a problem with it. Several pointed out how it's not really a reward to play in the same region as the top team.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...vjk8n8h?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

They should be legitimately upset.
They got put with the best one seed.
They might have to play a conference opponent second round, and while I don’t think Minnesota would beat them I think it is much more of a grind game to play a conference opponent who knows you pretty well.

They didn't get as raw a deal as the raw deal of Dantonio and Izzo keeping their jobs. Innocent little schits aren't they.

I know they do it based on location and Columbus/Columbia were both full from higher teams but since Michigan and Michigan State are both in Iowa, there's no good reason to give Michigan State the harder path.

I wish they'd give teams the choice between the closest location and the worst 1 seed. I'm sure Michigan State would much rather be a bit farther away in Jacksonville with Tennessee's path. But I guess money comes before fairness as the NCAA has shown so many times.

Winning B1G conference, winning B1G conference tournament, most Q1 wins of anyone- MSU really should have been a 1 seed, especially after Gonzaga lost to MSM

They should be legitimately upset.
They got put with the best one seed.
They might have to play a conference opponent second round, and while I don’t think Minnesota would beat them I think it is much more of a grind game to play a conference opponent who knows you pretty well.
”They got put with the best one seed.” So what? Maybe that makes them the worst 2 seed? If they plan on winning the tourney they will play Duke at some point.

”They got put with the best one seed.” So what? Maybe that makes them the worst 2 seed? If they plan on winning the tourney they will play Duke at some point.

Michigan, a team they beat today is a 2 seed. They should not have been placed in the same region as Duke.

There's some history too. Coach K is 11-1 vs Izzo. They got jobbed.

I’d argue they are the 3rd best team in the country behind healthy duke and Virginia
They are certainly not the 8th best.

Yeah this was a screw job. Some real unfortunate stuff for the Big10 in the seeds and placements. Probably all just a big coincidence, but kind of seems like the Committee had a problem with the Big10.

You can even see here - even with the excitement of the announcement for us, the players were shocked at MSU getting screwed too.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah this was a screw job. Some real unfortunate stuff for the Big10 in the seeds and placements. Probably all just a big coincidence, but kind of seems like the Committee had a problem with the Big10.

B1G had 8 bids, the most by any league.

I don't like how they have MSU playing a Big Ten team in round two.
That's a screw job on the Big Ten.
Also, Maryland in the same bracket.
Maryland would be a tough matchup for Zion. But instead you have 3 Big Ten Teams all in the bottom half of that bracket. Really dumb.

B1G had 8 bids, the most by any league.

Deservedly so. Also had one of the closest misses with Indiana not in.
Why not put two in each bracket with 8. Poor spacing.

If this is really the reason then that is ridiculous. They would have been better off losing the BT tournament.

That's a fair point, but this would apply to any team that complains about seeding any year.

I don't feel sorry for Michican State, because I think it's complete BS that somehow Izzo and Dantonio escaped all the scandal there. There's no way those guys would still be employed if they were coaching at Minnesota.

That said, MSU deserved a 1 seed over probably every other actual 1 seed except Duke. In particular, I would have switched them with Gonzaga, who didn't even win their sh*tty league title (and whose loss in the tournament allowed St. Mary's to steal a bid from someone else).

I don't think it matters for the Gophers, because they're unlikely to win their first game anyway, and in particular were never going to get to the sweet sixteen barring a miracle. I don't think Stockman is going to play and that's going to leave us impossibly shorthanded, especially with the non-B1G officials likely to call the games tighter and get guys in foul trouble.

They obviously got shafted by the committee...Michigan getting a better path to final 4 is a bad joke

I don't feel sorry for Michican State, because I think it's complete BS that somehow Izzo and Dantonio escaped all the scandal there. There's no way those guys would still be employed if they were coaching at Minnesota.

That said, MSU deserved a 1 seed over probably every other actual 1 seed except Duke. In particular, I would have switched them with Gonzaga, who didn't even win their sh*tty league title (and whose loss in the tournament allowed St. Mary's to steal a bid from someone else).

I don't think it matters for the Gophers, because they're unlikely to win their first game anyway, and in particular were never going to get to the sweet sixteen barring a miracle. I don't think Stockman is going to play and that's going to leave us impossibly shorthanded, especially with the non-B1G officials likely to call the games tighter and get guys in foul trouble.

I respectively disagree. No sure what either coach had todo with the scandal. I m pretty sure neither cancelled practice to watch girls gymnastics.

I am all for making Duke's road to the Final 4 as difficult as possible, so I say bravo.

Also, far from a lock that they both make it to the Elite 8.

I maybe don't feel bad for the head coach but the players had nothing to do with it.

I respectively disagree. No sure what either coach had todo with the scandal. I m pretty sure neither cancelled practice to watch girls gymnastics.

It all depends what Izzo knew about Travis Walton. There was a culture there of burying stuff. Not just gymnastics.

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of this narrative being propagated by people who don't have any idea what the facts are. People like you (who accept news reports at face value or just read headlines) are why the media gets away with murder in 2019.

You realize that Dantonio and Izzo kept their jobs because investigations by MULTIPLE parties (including the Feds) have shown they've handled various incidents according to protocol, right? In Dantonio's case, one investigation even confirmed his version of specific events through phone records. There is no question that there have been incidents over the past 15 years with various players, but they've been handled correctly. I believe Minnesota has had some problem children in its athletics programs as well. Unfortunately, sooner or later, it happens damn near everywhere at some point.

The Larry Nassar situation is disgusting. No Spartan defends what went on with that. Due to ESPN's negligent conflation of Nassar with old events regarding Izzo and Dantonio, the general public assumes they are all related. They assume Izzo and Dantonio are dirty even though all ESPN did was rehash old events with a modern day media spin job. Clear omission of facts and details whenever it suited ESPN to do so. Instead of focusing on Nassar, they had to get more clicks...what better way to do that than irresponsibly tie in the football and basketball coach? It was a truly gross level of character defamation by ESPN.

Anyway, I respect your squad. Bummer we have to potentially play in the 2nd round, the committee did the Big Ten no favors.

It all depends what Izzo knew about Travis Walton. There was a culture there of burying stuff. Not just gymnastics.

The Nassar scandal was an atrocity. No Spartan defends that. Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio have nothing to do with Larry Nassar, Gymnastics, or anyone in Larry Nassar's reporting chain. He was an employee of the D.O. School, not the athletics department. They likely haven't even met each other before.

This "culture" mantra is what ESPN does when it's unable to tie things together with facts. Nothing was buried. The only new news out of the whole ESPN piece was the supposed Travis Walton incident...for which there were no charges filed and no witnesses (at a crowded bar) to corroborate the female's version of events. It was a he said / she said from damn near 10 years ago...with no charges and no witnesses...what was Izzo supposed to do exactly?

The seeding worked out pretty well for Michigan St. Got to play injury depleted Minnesota and LSU with an interim coach prior to playing Duke.

I wasn’t just talking about gymnastics. Izzo and especially dantonio have had their own issues over the years, and somehow it just goes away and/or someone in admin takes the fall instead of their popular (and extremely valuable) football and basketball coaches. The fact that Dantonio still has a job there is outrageous.

The Nassar scandal was an atrocity. No Spartan defends that. Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio have nothing to do with Larry Nassar, Gymnastics, or anyone in Larry Nassar's reporting chain. He was an employee of the D.O. School, not the athletics department. They likely haven't even met each other before.

This "culture" mantra is what ESPN does when it's unable to tie things together with facts. Nothing was buried. The only new news out of the whole ESPN piece was the supposed Travis Walton incident...for which there were no charges filed and no witnesses (at a crowded bar) to corroborate the female's version of events. It was a he said / she said from damn near 10 years ago...with no charges and no witnesses...what was Izzo supposed to do exactly?

Huh? People are talking the multiple assaults and cover ups by a student assistant and players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom