Sid: Rumors are that Michael Hurt will leave MN and join Matthew next season

I posted 2 months ago his brother was leaving to go with Matthew and the mocking I took.

Is it ok to pat myself on the back?

I posted 2 months ago his brother was leaving to go with Matthew and the mocking I took.

It’s always okay to pat yourself on the back

Don’t count your chickens yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael has seemed to be really enjoying our BTT games, I’m not totally convinced he’d leave even if Matthew didn’t come here... Side note, my oldest boy is named Micheal and my 2nd boy is Matthew... They both love the Gophers so that has to be a good omen right?!?

His family has $$$ so forking out money for one year is no problem..plus his bro will be a multi millionaire in 15 months

I’m confused why it’s such a big deal for a blue blood program to waste a scholly on Michael Hurt. He only has one year of eligiblity. It’s not like they squander a scholarship spot for 4 years

Sid has lost his mind. Matthew is a one and done.

Could someone explain to me why Micheal would care about doing this other than playing on a national contender blue blood program for which I'm not sure Memphis fits that bill yet, Duke yes, NC, Kansas ok. I just don't see riding the bench where your brother is a star would be much of a draw or goal, for me it would be a huge negative, transferring somewhere where you could play and compete would be a much higher priority.

I’m confused why it’s such a big deal for a blue blood program to waste a scholly on Michael Hurt. He only has one year of eligiblity. It’s not like they squander a scholarship spot for 4 years

Is he graduating early? Wouldn't it be a two year scolly if he has to sit out next year? No hardship wavers for wanted to play with your brother...

Why are people so ticked off about Hurt transferring?? Have I missed something? Has he been an all-star for us??

I feel like, he doesn’t play or contribute much, and we took a chance on him in the hopes of luring his brother here. Valid play. Didn’t pan out. Move on.

Why are people so ticked off about Hurt transferring?? Have I missed something? Has he been an all-star for us??

I feel like, he doesn’t play or contribute much, and we took a chance on him in the hopes of luring his brother here. Valid play. Didn’t pan out. Move on.

If he leaves, I wish him well

if he stays, I wish him well

Not sure anyone would be that mad if he transferred to a smaller school that he could get playing time. If he follows his brother to ride the bench and swing the towel, that seems a little odd.

If he leaves, oh well.

If he stays, good.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is ticked off about the prospect of Michael Hurt transferring. The disappointment is in not getting Matthew (assuming he goes elsewhere, which has seemed very likely from the get go).

The older Hurt leaving the Gophers would be a non-factor on the court as he is just a role player at this point and doesn't bring much to the table. If he wants to ride his brothers coat tails for a year more power to him. He will basically be giving up any shot at playing time by going to a top flight school that won't have any use for him at all. But he knows he has no future in basketball after college so assume the experience of playing with his brother for a year is worth it even if it means 100% towel waving from the bench.

Not sure anyone would be that mad if he transferred to a smaller school that he could get playing time. If he follows his brother to ride the bench and swing the towel, that seems a little odd.

If he leaves, oh well.

If he stays, good.

This is my thought as well--transferring from one bench to another. Is that really what you want your college career to be about: being a non-playing half of a package deal with a one-and-done? I'm sure it would be a great experience if your team went to the Final Four, but wouldn't a basketball player rather be playing basketball?

On the other hand, one could ask the same question of a lot of guys including our own Rudrud, who could be starting for St. Thomas.

This is my thought as well--transferring from one bench to another. Is that really what you want your college career to be about: being a non-playing half of a package deal with a one-and-done? I'm sure it would be a great experience if your team went to the Final Four, but wouldn't a basketball player rather be playing basketball?

On the other hand, one could ask the same question of a lot of guys including our own Rudrud, who could be starting for St. Thomas.

There is one reason that somebody like Rudrud walked on at the U, he wanted to go to school at the U rather than St Thomas which is a valid reason, if Hurt transferred to Duke because of a graduate program then I would understand that, there are reasons that aren't related to basketball, whatever the decisions are they a life changing at this point and should be evaluated accordingly.

Last edited:

There is one reason that somebody like Rudrud walked on at the U, he wanted to go to school at the U rather than St Thomas which is a valid reason, if Hurt transferred to Duke because of a graduate program then I would understand that, there are reasons that aren't related to basketball, whatever the decisions are they a life changing at this point and should be evaluated accordingly.

Of course everyone wants to play, but some guys are ok being a part of the team and enjoying the experience. Think of the Isiah Dahlmens of the world. Isiah stayed at Mich State even though he didn't play. The experience and culture were worth it to him. Those things are valuable as we..

the experience of playing with his brother for a year is worth it even if it means 100% towel waving from the bench.

And potentially winning a national title. And hey, even the drummer gets laid in a star rock band. Being on the team at a school like Duke, I’m sure you’re swimming in it regardless.

Getting to go to Duke's grad school for one year free is a pretty good deal!

Between him and likely IW how are we going to ever replace those 4 minutes per game?

Shama chimes in:

There were rumors last week junior Gophers forward Michael Hurt will transfer to the college destination of his superstar brother Matthew Hurt, a senior at Rochester John Marshall. The possibility was mentioned to me months ago but I chose not to write about the speculation.

Michael would be eligible to play next season with his brother who has yet to announce his college choice, and could be destined to the NBA in another year via the 2020 league draft. Michael is a three-year reserve who this season is averaging 1.7 points per game and is 1 of 13 on three point field goal attempts. If he were to leave Minnesota, that presumably opens up a scholarship for the Gophers who have multiple roster needs for next season and should be shopping for junior college help.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

If this is true, definitely means Memphis has become a player for Matthew.

Matthew is smart for waiting until spring. Have a better idea of who's leaving Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina.

If this is true, definitely means Memphis has become a player for Matthew.

Matthew is smart for waiting until spring. Have a better idea of who's leaving Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina.

More and more of the almost assuredly one and dones are waiting until spring. I find it amusing and sad that we hand wring over available scholarships as spring hits, while Duke and Kentucky will likely have the same number of open scholarships when their season is over. I suspect their fan bases are not stressed. This is what college basketball is now. We don't have to like it, but we do have to live with it.

I find it amusing and sad that we hand wring over available scholarships as spring hits, while Duke and Kentucky will likely have the same number of open scholarships when their season is over. I suspect their fan bases are not stressed.

Well, duh, there's one big difference: we're not Duke or KY. We don't have a queue of 5 (and some 4) star players waiting to see how many of our current players declare for the draft and hire agents. When you get beyond those top 20 or 30, not too many players wait this long to commit.

Getting to go to Duke's grad school for one year free is a pretty good deal!

Well, true, but the same thing could be said for Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, or Brown but he might actually be able to play some at one of those schools.

Top Bottom