Sid: Rumors are that Michael Hurt will leave MN and join Matthew next season

A friend at church was a student manager for the Gophers long ago and now ushers at games and does various other things for U athletics. I've always thought of him as a level headed sounding board about what's going on with the various teams. When it comes to men's basketball, he's very down on Pitino, and he primarily cites the lack of development of the non-rotation bench players, and he mentions Hurt in particular. In key respects, Hurt was better as a high schooler than he is as a college upperclassmen. That's concerning no matter which angle you look at it from. As several posters here have opined, one of the best indicators of the quality of a coach is how well he and his staff coach and develop the non starters. If you don't do that well, you end up with a chronically short bench. Funny, we always seem to have a chronically short bench.

Mike needs to take matters into his own hands and work his game back into shape, including and especially his shooting. It can be done. You only get one senior season.
Sums up my concerns.
And, regarding the senior year, I recall how Brent Lawson ended up being a key player on a tournament team. We were stunned when he was a starting captain.

Question, who would you hire to take us to the promise land?
Dave Joreger
JB Bickerstaff
I hate Couple extension, does nothing for countering negative recruiting. Either **** or get off the pot. With the amount of TV money coming, buyouts are a built in excuse for losers. Show these upcoming recruits you're committed and give your coaches no excuses.
I like Pitino I am willing to give him more time. I am not the one constantly ragging on him like John Galt, I was just countering his outrageous claims. In 2-3 years if Pitino isn't getting it done I expect guys like Craig Smith and Niko at CSU to have their programs in fine shape

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A friend at church was a student manager for the Gophers long ago and now ushers at games and does various other things for U athletics. I've always thought of him as a level headed sounding board about what's going on with the various teams. When it comes to men's basketball, he's very down on Pitino, and he primarily cites the lack of development of the non-rotation bench players, and he mentions Hurt in particular. In key respects, Hurt was better as a high schooler than he is as a college upperclassmen. That's concerning no matter which angle you look at it from. As several posters here have opined, one of the best indicators of the quality of a coach is how well he and his staff coach and develop the non starters. If you don't do that well, you end up with a chronically short bench. Funny, we always seem to have a chronically short bench.

Mike needs to take matters into his own hands and work his game back into shape, including and especially his shooting. It can be done. You only get one senior season.

Isaiah Dahlman was better as a high schooler than he was in college. Shall we blame Coach Izzo?
Could it be that Michael Hurt just can't play at the top tier in Division 1 basketball?
Michael seems like a hard worker, a great teammate and a positive influence for the program. I am satisfied with his role on the team and I hope he can use his UMN diploma and networks to have a blessed life. Not all basketball recruits end up as players getting significant minutes in games. Michael is one of those guys. What he does to help make the team better may never be seen on game days. I'm okay with that.

I hope Michael doesn't leave for the reasons others have said: he's a hard worker, seems to be a good teamate, always positive, represents what I want for the program, etc etc. We need people like him on a team.

Isaiah Dahlman was better as a high schooler than he was in college. Shall we blame Coach Izzo?

Not all basketball recruits end up as players getting significant minutes in games. Michael is one of those guys. What he does to help make the team better may never be seen on game days. I'm okay with that.

Well said. You can't underestimate the value of those guys who show up, work hard, don't cause trouble and help your team everyday. If there was no need for those guys, we'd have 10-man rosters.

JTG

Could it be that Michael Hurt just can't play at the top tier in Division 1 basketball?
Michael seems like a hard worker, a great teammate and a positive influence for the program. I am satisfied with his role on the team and I hope he can use his UMN diploma and networks to have a blessed life. Not all basketball recruits end up as players getting significant minutes in games. Michael is one of those guys. What he does to help make the team better may never be seen on game days. I'm okay with that.

Mike was also better as a freshman than he was as a junior. He made some big shots for this team including at Maryland. I know you think that when this sort or regression occurs that it's nobody's fault and that it just "happens," like getting stung by a bee or whatever. I actually believe in cause and effect.

Mike was also better as a freshman than he was as a junior. He made some big shots for this team including at Maryland. I know you think that when this sort or regression occurs that it's nobody's fault and that it just "happens," like getting stung by a bee or whatever. I actually believe in cause and effect.

No, he wasn't. Mike really struggled his freshman year. He got minutes because of situation. Isaiah Dahlman also had more minutes in his freshman year at State, but he was a better player as a senior. Michael Hurt was much better this past season than he was as a freshman. No regression. There are just better players playing in front of him.

Those numbers are in limited minutes. His P40 shows 8.7 pts, 6.1 Reb, 1.3 Ast, that's fine for fundamentally sound bench player who knows his role.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/michael-hurt-1.html

As for his lack of foot speed, much of that can be attributed to his tentative play, playing with a more confident, aggressive mindset would absolutely make a difference in that area.

If he were capable of those numbers, pitino should play him more minutes, but wait,
he doesn't.

I'm sure he'd be able to do that against non-big ten competition, he'd be great for Bucknell, Creighton, or or maybe a UMD,

He's out sized, out classed, and slower than everyone he plays in the big ten.

You must be from Rochester, or his uncle, or long lost cousin.

None of these things will help him in the big ten.

Don’t be ignorant. His role is not to be Dupree McBrayer out there. His best fit is as a stretch forward who can knock down outside shots — which he did in high school but has not been able to do in college. Maybe it’s confidence, but whatever it is, a broken shot is potentially fixable. If he could shoot 35-40% from 3 next year he would be a valuable asset off the bench.

Ignorant? you dont know me or where I've been.

keep the name calling to yourself and stop being a d-bag.

Sorry to go down to your level troll.

Folks really oughtta take five minutes to check in with reality before making a statement like this.

FR -- 30% field goal shooting, 35% effective field goal percentage, 4.8 points and 3.5 rebounds per 40 minutes
JR -- 45.9% field goal shooting, 47.3% effective field goal percentage, 8.7 points and 6.1 rebounds per 40 minutes

JTG

Last edited:

Dave Joreger
JB Bickerstaff
I hate Couple extension, does nothing for countering negative recruiting. Either **** or get off the pot. With the amount of TV money coming, buyouts are a built in excuse for losers. Show these upcoming recruits you're committed and give your coaches no excuses.
I like Pitino I am willing to give him more time. I am not the one constantly ragging on him like John Galt, I was just countering his outrageous claims. In 2-3 years if Pitino isn't getting it done I expect guys like Craig Smith and Niko at CSU to have their programs in fine shape

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How do you define “getting it done” over the next 2-3 seasons?

I actually liked the Pitino hire and was a pretty big supporter of his until about January. I was just really disappointed in what i saw this year on the court and in recruiting.

I love that, and will be tempted to use it on a regular basis. Those guys make my ass tired.

JTG

Don’t ever, ever let those guys do anything to make your ass either tired or uncomfortable.

How do you define “getting it done” over the next 2-3 seasons?

I actually liked the Pitino hire and was a pretty big supporter of his until about January. I was just really disappointed in what i saw this year on the court and in recruiting.

The only way I could get fully back behind RP is if in the next 2-3 years the following happen: win the Big Ten tournament, make the Final Four and/or win a National Championship. It will take that much to wash the sour taste of the last eight years away.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If the Pitino years have been that bad, how do you rate the 30 years prior to Pitino? Unfortunately Gopher basketball has been average for a long time.

Just because someone has some access doesn’t mean they know anything. His opinion is contrary to the facts. This coaching staff has done a very good job of developing players. Even IW, who resisted the direction, is a better college player from working with these coaches. Not surprised that Michael looked better in high school when he had confidence in his shot against weak competition. He will regain his confidence next year and give some valuable minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Pitino years have been that bad, how do you rate the 30 years prior to Pitino? Unfortunately Gopher basketball has been average for a long time.
Well, under RP we had the worst record in 120 years of the program. The past 30 years never sank that low.

Folks really oughtta take five minutes to check in with realty before making a statement like this.

FR -- 30% field goal shooting, 35% effective field goal percentage, 4.8 points and 3.5 rebounds per 40 minutes
JR -- 45.9% field goal shooting, 47.3% effective field goal percentage, 8.7 points and 6.1 rebounds per 40 minutes

JTG

Well done. Looks like “Bad Gopher” was a “Bad Poster” in this case.

The only way I could get fully back behind RP is if in the next 2-3 years the following happen: win the Big Ten tournament, make the Final Four and/or win a National Championship. It will take that much to wash the sour taste of the last eight years away.

I wouldn't expect you to know this, but Pitino has actually been our coach for the last 6 years, not the last 8 years.

The only way I could get fully back behind Gopherhole is if in the next 2-3 months the following happens: People who post such absurd bull**** are given a timeout.

A suggestion for ya: Go find a team you like.

JTG

I wouldn't expect you to know this, but Pitino has actually been our coach for the last 6 years, not the last 8 years.
So the last two years of Tubby's tenure were sweetness and frivolity? You have a weird sense of taste.

So the last two years of Tubby's tenure were sweetness and frivolity? You have a weird sense of taste.

Your post was about what it would take to get behind RP again. What does the last two years of Tubby have to do with your decision to support Pitino again? Are you even trying to make sense?

The only way I could get fully back behind Gopherhole is if in the next 2-3 months the following happens: People who post such absurd bull**** are given a timeout.

JTG

I second this motion.

JTG

+1,000,000

In the last 8 years, the Gophers have been to 3 NCAA tournaments and won 2 games. Only 1989-1991 was a better stretch. I would love for the Gophers to be in the dance every year, but no history of that happening.

In the last 8 years, the Gophers have been to 3 NCAA tournaments and won 2 games. Only 1989-1991 was a better stretch. I would love for the Gophers to be in the dance every year, but no history of that happening.
Apparently the NCAA mind wiped the rest of the 90s for you...

I fully remember the late 90's, in particular 1997, unfortunately Clem cheated, so not there in the books.
They played the games. I got the VHS to prove it. [emoji16] UNC cheated for 30 years. Does that take away their teams?
Clem built a yearly contender for NCAA tournament births. You can hide behind an NCAA ruling or admit those teams were good. Your choice.

They played the games. I got the VHS to prove it. [emoji16] UNC cheated for 30 years. Does that take away their teams?
Clem built a yearly contender for NCAA tournament births. You can hide behind an NCAA ruling or admit those teams were good. Your choice.

Or you can admit they were better than good but that they cheated.

Top Bottom