Sid: Rumors are that Michael Hurt will leave MN and join Matthew next season

He’ll fill Coffey’s role nicely.

Trust Pitino!

Mike can be on my team any time. He's got several months to get that shot back. He can help.

Mike can be on my team any time. He's got several months to get that shot back. He can help.

Agree. We need him to get his confidence back so his shot falls. He was afraid to shoot last year because he got so cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great kid. That’s important. But basketball-wise, if Michael is anything more than the Gophers’ 8th man next season, things did not go well on the recruiting trail.

I hope he finds confidence, makes shots, and proves me very much wrong. Gophers certainly could use a couple guys to exceed expectations next season.

Last edited:

So stats are the only true indicator of value and worth? Michael is a great locker room kid and teammate. I know people don't want to attain value to that, but it matters as well.

we have a MN kid who dreamt of being a Gopher and basically committed very early once the offer came in and no we rip the kid for production? You wonder why other local kids don't want to come here? It's easier to go elsewhere and you never get truly appreciated when you stay.

Totally agree. I hate any ripping on kids, unless they have done something serious off-court that brings shame to the team. Is it Michaels fault that he is not an all-Big 10 player? No! He’s a great kid who works hard and is a good teammate. Posters who rip on our players are childish and cause damage. I was going to use the words “idiots” and “jerks”, but thought better of it. Michael-if you are reading all of these posts, please ignore those posts and know that most of us are cheering for you and are glad you are on the team. The rest are busy figuring out how to treat their sour stomachs and diarrhea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.7 Pts, 1.2 Reb, 0.3 Ast

solid?

c'mon man.

play with a more aggressive mindset?

will that help him gain foot speed?

Don’t be ignorant. His role is not to be Dupree McBrayer out there. His best fit is as a stretch forward who can knock down outside shots — which he did in high school but has not been able to do in college. Maybe it’s confidence, but whatever it is, a broken shot is potentially fixable. If he could shoot 35-40% from 3 next year he would be a valuable asset off the bench.

Totally agree. I hate any ripping on kids, unless they have done something serious off-court that brings shame to the team. Is it Michaels fault that he is not an all-Big 10 player? No! He’s a great kid who works hard and is a good teammate. Posters who rip on our players are childish and cause damage. I was going to use the words “idiots” and “jerks”, but thought better of it. Michael-if you are reading all of these posts, please ignore those posts and know that most of us are cheering for you and are glad you are on the team. The rest are busy figuring out how to treat their sour stomachs and diarrhea.

+1,000

Agree.He is already a important part of the team. There are many roles on a team. Love these fans who rip on him but who wanted his brother to come here. Really nice.

Hurt will be fine as the 9th/10th option. If he's not playing, he will be a good practice player and recruiting went well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So stats are the only true indicator of value and worth? Michael is a great locker room kid and teammate. I know people don't want to attain value to that, but it matters as well.

we have a MN kid who dreamt of being a Gopher and basically committed very early once the offer came in and no we rip the kid for production? You wonder why other local kids don't want to come here? It's easier to go elsewhere and you never get truly appreciated when you stay.

See, there's that maudlin sentimentality again. Are you guys that way because of genetics or is that the result of years of mind-numbing, authoritarian social conditioning?

I'm just calling it as I see it. If you don't want to believe your lying eyes, then I guess we'll just have to disagree.

As far as your weepiness about this player's dreams, I prefer to remember Clint Eastwood's classic line:

"A man's got to know his limitations." Hurt simply couldn't play at this level. That's not some heartbreaking tragedy. It's very easy to live a wonderfully fulfilling life without ever playing basketball for the Gophers.

No, stats aren't the only true indicator of worth because generally reported stats don't capture all attributes. Generally reported stats particularly short change defense but I don't see Hurt as a master on that side of the court either.

As far as him being a great locker room kid, I'm not sure what that really means (another empty cliche I suspect) but I don't recall hearing another Minnesota player ever laud Michael for his leadership, comfort, or inspiration.

However, I do return to my previous post. I can think of two or three examples off the top of my head where players were much better as seniors than anything they showed before. I would never say that Hurt couldn't do something similar.

Last edited:

I wonder if Hurt felt pressured to do extra well for his brother as well for himself during this past year. Much have been said about the two brothers repeatedly. Once he lost his shooting touch he just couldn't get it back. I'm hoping for a summer of shooting, playing with friends he'll regain the touch he once had.

Thank you! I hate this phony sentimentality and fear of saying socially unacceptable things. I'm glad you're not afflicted with that.

We would have been better off with almost anyone else the last three years. Bakary contributed more. Gas didn't but that's about it.

That said, it's not impossible that he could have a much improved senior year. I've seen that happen before.

I don't really understand this stance. I would understand it if we were talking about professional sports, but not with college. By definition, this is not about the bottom line. If you wanted to watch the best basketball, you'd watch the NBA. There is some aspect of being a college sports fan that is not tangible. So things like being a good teammate, hustling, being a good citizen, etc., matter in college sports more than they would in the NBA.

We have a local kid who is recruited to come to the U. It didn't exactly work out the way anyone hoped however he has never been an issue.

It would be strange, to me, if people didn't have this kind of reaction to news he was going to be staying at the U and getting his degree.

See, there's that maudlin sentimentality again. Are you guys that way because of genetics or is that the result of years of mind-numbing, authoritarian social conditioning?

I'm just calling it as I see it. If you don't want to believe your lying eyes, then I guess we'll just have to disagree.

As far as your weepiness about this player's dreams, I prefer to remember Clint Eastwood's classic line:

"A man's got to know his limitations." Hurt simply couldn't play at this level. That's not some heartbreaking tragedy. It's very easy to live a wonderfully fulfilling life without ever playing basketball for the Gophers.

No, stats aren't the only true indicator of worth because generally reported stats don't capture all attributes. Generally reported stats particularly short change defense but I don't see Hurt as a master on that side of the court either.

As far as him being a great locker room kid, I'm not sure what that really means (another empty cliche I suspect) but I don't recall hearing another Minnesota player ever laud Michael for his leadership, comfort, or inspiration.

However, I do return to my previous post. I can think of two or three examples off the top of my head where players were much better as seniors than anything they showed before. I would never say that Hurt couldn't do something similar.

I haven't seen anything remotely close to maudlin sentimentality.

Why are you a fan of college sports? I don't mean this in a way like "if you don't like Michael Hurt, you're no true fan", I'm asking because I would imagine that most people like college sports for often less than tangible reasons.

There is the NBA. The caliber of athlete and execution dwarfs what you will find in college basketball. So why would someone watch college basketball unless it included something?

As far as thinking of it as some form of "mind-numbing, authoritarian social conditioning". . . a bit of a reach huh? This feels a bit like shoehorning some social commentary in a pretty simple idea. College sports fans are loyal to alumni/students, shocking.

Lastly, as to the Clint Eastwood quote. I don't think anyone thinks it's a tragedy that Michael Hurt's career, so far, hasn't been what we all hoped. It's not the end of the world. No one has really argued it has been.

No matter what he does this year he will leave having played for his dream team, in the Big 10. He will have earned his degree and will have handled himself with class and dignity. If that is not good enough for you then blame the coach for recruiting him.

I'm hoping/expecting that either Williams or Ihnen will be the primary backup 3 and Ihnen or an improved Omersa will be the backup 4 if Curry isn't ready. I'm not expecting Hurt to play much.

If Michael is required to play heavy minutes next season, it's going to be a long, long year for the Gophers.

I haven't seen anything remotely close to maudlin sentimentality.

Why are you a fan of college sports? I don't mean this in a way like "if you don't like Michael Hurt, you're no true fan", I'm asking because I would imagine that most people like college sports for often less than tangible reasons.

There is the NBA. The caliber of athlete and execution dwarfs what you will find in college basketball. So why would someone watch college basketball unless it included something?

As far as thinking of it as some form of "mind-numbing, authoritarian social conditioning". . . a bit of a reach huh? This feels a bit like shoehorning some social commentary in a pretty simple idea. College sports fans are loyal to alumni/students, shocking.

Lastly, as to the Clint Eastwood quote. I don't think anyone thinks it's a tragedy that Michael Hurt's career, so far, hasn't been what we all hoped. It's not the end of the world. No one has really argued it has been.

I’m a fan of college basketball because I far prefer the way the college game is played. I haven’t watched a Timberwolves game since the Garnett era, and I find the NBA to be extremely boring (although the Warriors are entertaining). I have an affinity for the U because I attended school there. Pro sports mean little to me because they are impersonal in comparison. College teams, especially at the Power 5 level, are expected to win. Pitino is paid several million dollars per year to ensure that happens. Hurt is receiving a full ride scholarship to help the team win games, not to just be a good citizen and get his degree. He’s been a disappointment because he isn’t a good basketball player.

I’m a fan of college basketball because I far prefer the way the college game is played. I haven’t watched a Timberwolves game since the Garnett era, and I find the NBA to be extremely boring (although the Warriors are entertaining). I have an affinity for the U because I attended school there. Pro sports mean little to me because they are impersonal in comparison. College teams, especially at the Power 5 level, are expected to win. Pitino is paid several million dollars per year to ensure that happens. Hurt is receiving a full ride scholarship to help the team win games, not to just be a good citizen and get his degree. He’s been a disappointment because he isn’t a good basketball player.

So yeah, like I thought, we all like college sports for a sort of intangible reason.

As to your second point, yep, and it has absolutely nothing to do with my point. In fact, it kind of repeats my point. As I've said numerous times in this thread, his career has not gone the way we wanted it to go. That's another way of saying it has been a disappointment.

I think the general sentiment on the board is that Michael Hurt has been a disappointment as a basketball player.

With Pitino, sure. If Pitino doesn't win, he should be canned.

I agree that is has been disappointing but the final chapter is not finished.

May be true, but is that Michael’s fault? If he is giving all he has to improve, but just isn’t capable, is that his fault? If not, is it then worthy of ripping him, or should your frustration be with the coach? I think you know the answer.

Quite a few overreaches here at least for myself or the purpose of my post. Maudlin semntimentaly? Seriously? If you've read any more my posts I could care less where a kid came from and I was sober when I typed it. I do appreciate kids who are offered scholarships here, accept them, and then act as good citizens on and off the court. Some person on the team will be the 9th-13th man. That person will mostly always be on scholarship, but they won't get PT. They need to be good people and not cancers. Michael Hurt fits that to a T.
A great locker room guy is someone who doesn't disrupt flow even if things aren't going their way. Call it cliche if you'd like, but it matters in any team concept. You've never heard people mention his leadership, but you've also never heard anyone say a negative thing period. Sure I'd like Michael to have been more productive and thought he would've been. Still doesn't change any facts that he's brought positive value.
My whole point of the post was that it's not Hurts fault he was offered a scholarship to his dream school. It is his fault that he's carried himself with nothing but class. That deserves to be respected. My other point is that he's a good example of why lots of kids don't want to come here. He gets held to a different standard because of how provincial we are. Michael being blasted cause his dad is a clown or his brother chose a different school is ridiculous and sad. Other MN kids see and watch that stuff.

Perhaps we're splitting hairs, but Pitino is not paid several millions of dollars. His salary is 11th or 12th in the league depending on what Chambers makes. Odds are if you pay for chicken **** you're not going to get chicken salad. The U is getting what they paid for. Bottom dollar for mediocre results.

Quite a few overreaches here at least for myself or the purpose of my post. Maudlin semntimentaly? Seriously? If you've read any more my posts I could care less where a kid came from and I was sober when I typed it. I do appreciate kids who are offered scholarships here, accept them, and then act as good citizens on and off the court. Some person on the team will be the 9th-13th man. That person will mostly always be on scholarship, but they won't get PT. They need to be good people and not cancers. Michael Hurt fits that to a T.
A great locker room guy is someone who doesn't disrupt flow even if things aren't going their way. Call it cliche if you'd like, but it matters in any team concept. You've never heard people mention his leadership, but you've also never heard anyone say a negative thing period. Sure I'd like Michael to have been more productive and thought he would've been. Still doesn't change any facts that he's brought positive value.
My whole point of the post was that it's not Hurts fault he was offered a scholarship to his dream school. It is his fault that he's carried himself with nothing but class. That deserves to be respected. My other point is that he's a good example of why lots of kids don't want to come here. He gets held to a different standard because of how provincial we are. Michael being blasted cause his dad is a clown or his brother chose a different school is ridiculous and sad. Other MN kids see and watch that stuff.

Great post.

Thanks. Great reply to the typical crap from an internet tough guy.

Perhaps we're splitting hairs, but Pitino is not paid several millions of dollars. His salary is 11th or 12th in the league depending on what Chambers makes. Odds are if you pay for chicken **** you're not going to get chicken salad. The U is getting what they paid for. Bottom dollar for mediocre results.

Question, who would you hire to take us to the promise land?

May be true, but is that Michael’s fault? If he is giving all he has to improve, but just isn’t capable, is that his fault? If not, is it then worthy of ripping him, or should your frustration be with the coach? I think you know the answer.

A friend at church was a student manager for the Gophers long ago and now ushers at games and does various other things for U athletics. I've always thought of him as a level headed sounding board about what's going on with the various teams. When it comes to men's basketball, he's very down on Pitino, and he primarily cites the lack of development of the non-rotation bench players, and he mentions Hurt in particular. In key respects, Hurt was better as a high schooler than he is as a college upperclassmen. That's concerning no matter which angle you look at it from. As several posters here have opined, one of the best indicators of the quality of a coach is how well he and his staff coach and develop the non starters. If you don't do that well, you end up with a chronically short bench. Funny, we always seem to have a chronically short bench.

Mike needs to take matters into his own hands and work his game back into shape, including and especially his shooting. It can be done. You only get one senior season.

Well said. It is a shame we have to spend so much time counteracting the few toxic trolls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope Hurt plays spot minutes and gives us a few Joey King type moments where he drills some 3s that make a difference somewhere. The kid plays hard and seems like a humble/good guy who's genuinely excited for his teammates. Need some guys like that towards the end of the bench. Here's hoping his senior year finds him in another NCAA tourney

Hope Hurt plays spot minutes and gives us a few Joey King type moments where he drills some 3s that make a difference somewhere. The kid plays hard and seems like a humble/good guy who's genuinely excited for his teammates. Need some guys like that towards the end of the bench. Here's hoping his senior year finds him in another NCAA tourney

Excellent post, UNK!

Top Bottom