March 15 Open Practice Observations

Gopher Gildy

Reaction score
Was able to attend on Friday afternoon. Some of my observations, for what they’re worth:

- Antoine Winfield Jr. #11 is in full health. Was doing drills at full speed. Great to see!

- Micah Dew-Treadway #18, the Notre Dame transfer, will absolutely be the anchor at DT. I have high confidence he’ll fill in well for OJ Smith.

- The addition of Curtis Dunlap Jr., OL #51, cannot be understated. He is massive. The right side of our o-line will be elite - Faalale + Dunlap = protection.

- Benny Sapp III #22 was getting first-team reps at safety along with Winfield Jr. and Jordan Howden. Appeared to be a rotation. On the sideline, Winfield was coaching up Sapp - great to see.

- Chris Autman-Bell was #3 last year, correct? His number is now #7.

- First team defense, in general, consisted of: Otomewo, Dew-Treadway, DeLattiboudere, Coughlin, Barber, Martin, Durr, Williamson, Thomas, Winfield Jr., Howden, Sapp III, etc.

- Fleck class act, per usual, had crowd sing happy birthday to Sid, who was in attendance.

- Asked Ryan Burns (know him from my time as 2015 student Gopherhole writer) who to watch for in regards to young players. He said: Jason Williamson (athlete #28) and Brevyn Spann-Ford (TE #88). Can’t wait to see who plays most this year at TE between Paulson, Kieft, Spann-Ford, etc.

- Rodney Smith looked healthy. Was making cuts and running along sideline. Did not see Seth Green or Shannon Brooks at practice, perhaps left early for spring break?

Hope this helps. RTB and Ski-U-Mah - see you all at the Spring Game in April!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAB7. Got it. Thanks.

Was able to attend on Friday afternoon. Some of my observations, for what they’re worth:

- Antoine Winfield Jr. #11 is in full health. Was doing drills at full speed. Great to see!

- Micah Dew-Treadway #18, the Notre Dame transfer, will absolutely be the anchor at DT. I have high confidence he’ll fill in well for OJ Smith.

- The addition of Curtis Dunlap Jr., OL #51, cannot be understated. He is massive. The right side of our o-line will be elite - Faalale + Dunlap = protection.

- Benny Sapp III #22 was getting first-team reps at safety along with Winfield Jr. and Jordan Howden. Appeared to be a rotation. On the sideline, Winfield was coaching up Sapp - great to see.

- First team defense, in general, consisted of: Otomewo, Dew-Treadway, DeLattiboudere, Coughlin, Barber, Martin, Durr, Williamson, Thomas, Winfield Jr., Howden, Sapp III, etc.

- Fleck class act, per usual, had crowd sing happy birthday to Sid, who was in attendance.

- Asked Ryan Burns (know him from my time as 2015 student Gopherhole writer) who to watch for in regards to young players. He said: Jason Williamson (athlete #28) and Brevyn Spann-Ford (TE #88). Can’t wait to see who plays most this year at TE between Paulson, Kieft, Spann-Ford, etc.

- Rodney Smith looked healthy. Was making cuts and running along sideline. Did not see Seth Green or Shannon Brooks at practice, perhaps left early for spring break?

Hope this helps. RTB and Ski-U-Mah - see you all at the Spring Game in April!

Thanks Gildy. This could be a game changer for the offense. The run game is going to be phenomenal if the guys build on what we saw last year.

Anyone else playing DT? CC45 still on the line?

We see writers, usually during fall practice, give accounts to us periodically - one of those?

Great recap - thanks for sharing. Was anyone else was getting 1st team reps on the d-line?

Estes transferred out. Players (in order of class) get to change numbers as they open up. See a lot of that, especially on offense.

Now I’m wishing I looked closer at the D-line!!! I’m sure I simply missed watching Devers and Mafe. So much going on during these practices - stimulation overload!

NOPE. This is clearly false.

Would be just stupid to play Dunlap and Faalele together on the right side. Everyone knows it, coaches know it.

Thanks Gildy. This could be a game changer for the offense. The run game is going to be phenomenal if the guys build on what we saw last year.

Anyone else playing DT? CC45 still on the line?

We see writers, usually during fall practice, give accounts to us periodically - one of those?

I was wondering the same thing for D line...3-4 look with the only 1 DT or is Big O as they call him now at DT with Winston and Carter playing end?

NOPE. This is clearly false.

<b>Would be just stupid to play Dunlap and Faalele together on the right side. </b>Everyone knows it, coaches know it.

Boy oh boy are you changing the narrative. Only proves that even you don’t buy your original theory and are taking it from bad to worse.

Someone disagrees with you that it “would be silly not to play them next to each other” and you hear “it would be stupid to play them next to each other.” You do see how ridiculous that sounds, right?

Dunlap and Faalele will be starting next to each other on the right side. As I said they would be, and as I said they should be.

Gophers win.

You win, because we will have an amazing right side OL for the next 2-3 years.

I win, because I was right. Feels good!!

Boy oh boy are you changing the narrative. Only proves that even you don’t buy your original theory and are taking it from bad to worse.

Someone disagrees with you that it “would be silly not to play them next to each other” and you hear “it would be stupid to play them next to each other.” You do see how ridiculous that sounds, right?

100%

Dunlap and Faalele will be starting next to each other on the right side. As I said they would be, and as I said they should be.

Gophers win.

I feel like I'm having an out of body experience watching myself trying to talk to my 8year old kid; watching you two banter back and fourth. Who gives a **** about who is wrong and who is right. This I'm right your wrong bull ****. Grow the **** up

I feel like I'm having an out of body experience watching myself trying to talk to my 8year old kid; watching you two banter back and fourth. Who gives a **** about who is wrong and who is right. This I'm right your wrong bull ****. Grow the **** up

Spoofin, are you listening??

Thanks for the write-up. Practices can be hard to follow from ground level.

Spoofin, are you listening??

You have now made two efforts to mislead readers on your original statement. If it would have been a simple prediction that they would start next to each other I doubt anyone would have objected. Rather, you claimed it would be silly not to play them next to each other due to some precious chemistry they created 2-years ago at IGM. Not plug and play, right?

If you feel so strongly about it, why the pivot and lies about what you said?

Was able to attend on Friday afternoon. Some of my observations.

Love all the age and experience in this group! Otomewo will be in third year, DewTreadway fifth year, DeLattiboudere fifth year, Coughlin, Barber, Martin, Durr, Thomas, Winfield all fourth year guys, Williamson fifth year player. Expect to see fifth year Renner in the mix as well. Maybe third year guy Mafe and fourth year guy Devers find roles? Third year guys with juco experience Schad, Clemmons, and Owens push for time?

Similarly, sounds like fourth year guy Tyler Johnson stepping up to lead wide receivers along with third year guys Douglas and AutmanBell, sixth year and fifth year guys Rodney and Shannon leading running backs along with third year Ibrahim, Tanner Morgan in his third spring camp, fourth year tight ends Kieft and Witham and third year tight end Paulson looking good, and fourth year oline men Olson and Schlueter along with third year lineman Andries stepping forward. Dickson has two years juco and one redshirt year here after two gap years and brings some age to the oline group. Good reports on fifth year punter Herbers.

Love all the age and experience in this group! Otomewo will be in third year, DewTreadway fifth year, DeLattiboudere fifth year, Coughlin, Barber, Martin, Durr, Thomas, Winfield all fourth year guys, Williamson fifth year player. Expect to see fifth year Renner in the mix as well. Maybe third year guy Mafe and fourth year guy Devers find roles? Third year guys with juco experience Schad, Clemmons, and Owens push for time?

Similarly, sounds like fourth year guy Tyler Johnson stepping up to lead wide receivers along with third year guys Douglas and AutmanBell, sixth year and fifth year guys Rodney and Shannon leading running backs along with third year Ibrahim, Tanner Morgan in his third spring camp, fourth year tight ends Kieft and Witham and third year tight end Paulson looking good, and fourth year oline men Olson and Schlueter along with third year lineman Andries stepping forward. Dickson has two years juco and one redshirt year here after two gap years and brings some age to the oline group. Good reports on fifth year punter Herbers.

Love the list. You must have missed some though as according to PJ there are at lest 38 upper classmen on the team (45%). It could be as high as 47, if you go with the full 105 man roster. Always good to have experienced leadership. And they beat Wisconsin to boot. That was your point, right? Wait, dead horse beating time? My bad.

Great report Gildy!!
Who were the other 'starters' on the OL aside from Dunlop and Faalele on the right side?

Always looking good this time of year! Still undefeated for at least another 5 1/2 months!

There’s the bit we’ve all grown accustom to. Welcome back!

you claimed it would be silly not to play them next to each other

Coaches read my mind!

Have you read 4life's posts? There is no way he understands that sort of nuance.

8 year old? Too much credit. I heard Moron_4life is moving to Iowa. Demographers have already predicted the average IQs of both states will go up.

Great report Gildy!!
Who were the other 'starters' on the OL aside from Dunlop and Faalele on the right side?

Curious about that as well. Obviously this will be a fluid situation but will be interesting to see if Blaise makes the switch to LT full time or if they keep him at guard and use someone else at tackle.

Curious about that as well. Obviously this will be a fluid situation but will be interesting to see if Blaise makes the switch to LT full time or if they keep him at guard and use someone else at tackle.

Schleuter LT
Blaise LG
Connor C

If Olson can make the seamless switch to center that could be one heck of an interior line with Andries, Olson, Dunlap. Right tackle should be in great hands with Faalele so then it just comes down to the left tackle spot. The fact that they moved Blaise back inside makes me think they feel pretty good about their options out there.

All told, it is really exciting to see a young offensive line with a ton of potential to be really good. Common theme among nearly all really good football teams is strong offensive and defensive lines. Certainly looks like we are moving in that direction.

Top Bottom