Who is your nightmare match up?

EG#9

Reaction score
When the bracket is revealed tomorrow, who do you not want to see next to Minnesota? Please just pick one team. For me it's Syracuse (who Lunardi and Palm both have the Gophers matched up with in an 8/9 game as I write this). I have several reasons for this starting with the Syracuse zone...who can't see the Gophers going something like 3-22 from deep and being unable to get the ball inside to Murphy? The second is that I believe the ACC teams are most likely to be under-seeded due to the strength of that conference. Obviously that won't be true for UNC, Duke, and Virginia but how many 8/9 seeds could go to Duke and get a win like the Orange did? The third is just the experience of the Syracuse program in the tournament and their history of making runs once they get there.

Yeah, I’ve had the same thought that they might run over us.

Agree on Syracuse but I would also throw in UCF as well. I don’t want to see Murphy or Coffey spinning in the lane and Tacko Fall just swatting everyshot and us turning to just 3 point shooting to try and win.

On the flip side would love either Ole Miss or Oklahoma if I could pick a team we would play.

Of all the possibilities that I've seen mentioned as possible opponents Syracuse is the only one that I think could really cause a lot of problems so they would be my choice as well.

Of all the possibilities that I've seen mentioned as possible opponents Syracuse is the only one that I think could really cause a lot of problems so they would be my choice as well.

I actually like the Cuse matchup. They struggle to shoot well. Duke, Tenn, Gonzaga are all bad matches.

Yeah.

Teams that run better than us are bad matchups.
Because there is no way we are better at half court offense.

Don’t want to play duke.
Actually would be more worried about good running teams than zone teams. Gophers can attack zones okay.

Anybody that traps or plays great pressure on-ball D. We have zero ball handling (that Pitino will play, anyway).

Agree on Syracuse but I would also throw in UCF as well. I don’t want to see Murphy or Coffey spinning in the lane and Tacko Fall just swatting everyshot and us turning to just 3 point shooting to try and win.

On the flip side would love either Ole Miss or Oklahoma if I could pick a team we would play.

I also agree on Syracuse. I think UCF might be a good matchup, not a bad one. Gophers have faced another super tall center wearing black and gold this year 3x and its gone great.

Give me Wofford. I think they are overrated and we have better athletes.

I also agree on Syracuse. I think UCF might be a good matchup, not a bad one. Gophers have faced another super tall center wearing black and gold this year 3x and its gone great.

Give me Wofford. I think they are overrated and we have better athletes.
Be careful what you wish for with Wofford. We've shown our inability to defend the 3 on numerous occasions. Mike Young runs tremendous sets to get his guys open and Fletcher McGee can catch fire at any time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Be careful what you wish for with Wofford. We've shown our inability to defend the 3 on numerous occasions. Mike Young runs tremendous sets to get his guys open and Fletcher McGee can catch fire at any time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oh, I know the Gophers have holes. Pretty much any opponent is going to be good at something the Gophers ain't. There's some clear strengths and weaknesses with this squad.

Wofford just hasn't beaten anyone who is likely to make the tournament this year and the Gophers would be their biggest win yet. Of our options in the 7-10 range I'll take the team that lost to teams like Oklahoma and Mississippi State and comes from a league the Gophers likely also would have gone undefeated in.

Middle Tennessee State. Again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In the first round..... Qs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom