Open practices/spring game

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Are open practices fun for fans? I want to attend at least one.

Also, is the Spring game fun? Never been to it and think it would be a lot of fun

Also, is the Spring game fun? Never been to it and think it would be a lot of fun

I couldn't make any of the practices this year due to work schedule and other obligations. But, I did go to a couple last year.

It was nice to preview some of the players. I was in awe at how big Daniel Faalele is in the flesh when he walked in front of me. He is one muscular big human being.

I'd love to see the new QB's Clark and Kramer throw. Likewise, the other players are with a season of conditioning and experience. Annexstad and Morgan by all accounts looked more solid and crisp. It is great to have two good seasoned QBs going into the season.

Make it a day for the Spring Game and stop afterwards for food and drinks at nearby establishment(s). My group went to Surly's and had a great afternoon. The Srping Game this year will be much more fun with the team depth that they have.

It is amazing to see how big and well-coordinated our players are. The pratices are intense and well organized. There were many standouts. I think Mohamed Ibrahim may just be our best back. He looks great. Demetrius Douglas, Antoine Winfield, Carter Coughlin, Terell Smith, Curtis Dunlap, Sam Schlueter (yes, I said Sam Schlueter), Big Dan of course, and a cast of thousands stood out. I think this will be our best team maybe since Holtz bolted.

I think this will be our best team maybe since Holtz bolted.

The 4-7 team or the 7-5 one that had two 1-AA wins and 4 wins against the bottom 4 in the Big Ten? There's been many Gopher teams better than the Holtz teams since, perhaps last season included.

Up and Under, I absolutely think an open practice + spring game are worth your time. At open practices, you are literally five feet away from the action. You really gain appreciation of how well-organized D1 football practices are. Huge operation. Also, these kids are simply great athletes - way more impressive in-person compared to watching on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4-7 team or the 7-5 one that had two 1-AA wins and 4 wins against the bottom 4 in the Big Ten? There's been many Gopher teams better than the Holtz teams since, perhaps last season included.
Agreed.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yes and yes. Spring game especially for kids when they do autographs after. Practice is fun to be up close and hear what is being said.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Up and Under, I absolutely think an open practice + spring game are worth your time. At open practices, you are literally five feet away from the action. You really gain appreciation of how well-organized D1 football practices are. Huge operation. Also, these kids are simply great athletes - way more impressive in-person compared to watching on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree. I enjoy attending spring practice far more than the spring game.

In all fairness, when you consider where Holtz was starting from, he brought the program a LONG way in 2 years. I know there is some residual angst over the way he left, but if Holtz had stayed at MN, I have no doubt that he would have had the program among the top half of the conference or better in another year or two. Tony Rice was going to be the QB, but he went to Notre Dame with Holtz. That would have been fun to watch.

Point well taken. But he took over for Salem, who had allowed Nebraska to put up 84 points against us. His 2nd year he lost to Oklahoma by 6, to Ohio State by 4, at Michigan State by 5. They beat Wisconsin, Northwestern, Indiana and Clemson in the bowl game. And they had Ricky Foggie.

Top Bottom